Death penalty

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Apr 28, 2015.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^well, in the same vein, since mistakes and whatnot, I would still opt to be wrongfully put to death than wrongfully solitary confinement for life.

2. ncfiala

ncfiala Silence you bastard

I have no problem with any prisoner choosing to die, even if it wasn't a death penalty offense. I still think suicide is wrong, but I also believe that a person should have the right to do with their own body as they wish. A voluntary death penalty might also help with overcrowding in prisons. That and releasing all the drug offenders. I can't believe this country puts people in prison for using and selling drugs.

3. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Why give the system the legal right to kill someone?
    That power can & will be corrupted, to shut people up. To silence dissenters etc.

People who are pro death penalty, its like they've never even heard of corrupt cops or corrupt politicians before.

4. asher

asher So Did We

To be fair, the death penalty in the US judicial system is a really terrible way to do that. Way too many people and moving parts involved, not to mention you can't do it in every state.

I think it needs to go too, but that's a pretty poor argument against it IMO.

5. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

To me it's pretty simple.

If you sentence somebody to prison for life, you can say "Ooopppsss, we made a mistake. You're free. Here's some cash for our error."

You can't un-execute somebody.

6. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Not with that attitude!

7. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I'm strongly against it on grounds of logic: if we claim to be better than criminals, killing them with the excuse of legality isn't exactly a stellar way to prove that claim.

Does it cost money to imprison someone ? Yes. Will we do it ? Yes. Because we're better than them.
    Remember that revenge has nothing to do with justice. Killing a criminal doesn't repair anything, but it does make you a killer.

8. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Not to me it ....in aint.

I always find it ironic that the 'pro-life' christians are always the first to be baying for blood in those backwards southern states.

I also see it as inherently cowardly: you want somebody dead but refuse to get your OWN hands dirty, so you leave it to the state and everybody gets to pretend its the moral thing to do just because its technically legal.

State-sponsored murder should never be allowed to happen by its (sane) citizens.

9. asher

asher So Did We

... but all those reasons are good and also completely different arguments than "it's too easy for corrupt politicians to manipulate" :lol:

10. TheFranMan

TheFranMan SS.org Regular

Asher, I assume you're a student at UVA? I went to JMU.

I'm firmly against the death penalty on moral and ethical grounds along with plenty of other reasons. Let's get past the moral and ethical grounds and assume that it checks out morally and ethically. Then you have to question what purpose it serves as a punishment and whether that purpose is just.

Does it deter crime? The statistics show an increase in violent crime in most states that ratified the death penalty after the nationwide moratorium. Also, deterrence assumes that criminals think logically, which is a dubious assumption at best. Lets assume that criminals do think logically though. Deterrence also needs a reasonable expectation that a negative outcome would be realized by the perpetrator, which obviously is not that case. It's been shown pretty conclusively that capital punishment does not satisfy the deterrent effect aspect of just punishment.

I could go through retribution, rehabilitation, economic benefits, and incapacitation (the other typical rationales behind punishment) and explain how they all fall short aside from incapacitation, but I'll spare everyone that discussion unless someone is truly interested.

11. asher

asher So Did We

Former, now working in town :yesway: