Dear Ibanez...where's...?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by OmegaSlayer, Jun 18, 2015.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I was wondering what happened to certain guitar series that Ibanez discontinued.
    I could mention the X series with the Xyphos available only as an Iron Label, the Falchion completely discontinued.
    What's the problem? Is it really the extreme shape or probably the fact that I'm going to buy a guitar that is "just" worth its price?
    I've been gasing a lot for a Falchion, but really, buying for around € 300,00 a guitar with a bad bridge, and bad pick-ups, barely acceptable quality of woods and probably an overall low attention to detail prevents me to fork even that low amount of money.
    A Falchion with a good version of the Edge, solid pickups (BKP or Seymour Duncan for a change), ebony fretboard and stuff like this would be more interesting.

Then there's the 540pII which is a total blast from the past, seriously cool looking guitar, but Ibanez never tried a reissue to gauge the market's interest.

And finally the biggest question mark of the thread.
    Where's the RGA series?
    That's an incredible cool looking series, maybe Ibanez's best for my likings, but again, imho, the market has been gauged badly with those models.
    Mostly Premium, 7 only with fixed bridges, no reverse headstocks.
    Few options that imho killed the interest for the series.
    C'mon, how many people wanted that cool looking Broderick that never happened?
    Why not change the design just slightly and drop it on the market even without an attached sig?

It's likely 2-3 years that Ibanez doesn't manage to drop a guitar which I'm going absolutely crazy with, if you want the fretboard without dots, you can only have it with a fixed bridge (just a made up example), reverse headstock is always just a dream, and stuff like that

So, why Ibanez seems so detached from what people like?

2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

because sales tell them thats what people want?

I know, it is a fine line between, releasing a guitar with "safe, basic" specs and colors, as those would "sale more", but again that is the reason people wont buy them in the first place.

the X series, is prob bit more niche market, but I do agree than the RGA series has a LOT of potential but they keep releasing them with wrong specs/colors, like plain black

that white Chris B was beautiful, and the first LACS from Jake B with the grey/white scheme, they looked amazing.

IMO there is a good market for RGAs, jsut need good color/wood choices. How amazing an RGA would look with a nice flamed or quilt top. Think about the Jackson Misha due soon....

also, enough with the boring dots necks, nothing says "entry level guitar" more than that. Just me, but a nice guitar with standard dots, just turns me off. I much rather side dots, plain board, gost shark inlays (not the full size ones), block inlays, etc... just not dots on the high end stuff

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

You mean like the RGA321 and RGA420Z?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OmegaSlayer

Yeah, I'm one of the guys that doesn't want to see centered dots on high end stuff, though I can like offset dots.

That guitar Bloody, in my eyes is bad, not matching headstock and centered dots.
    Remove the dots, match the headstock and that one is killer.
    That's exactly what I meant, some things completely kills the gas.

5. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

people have been wanting more reverse head stocks for as long as I can remember...

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

my point too. Being a that one a prestige it looks bad having a "generic looking" neck (dots-black headstock)

but yeah, didnt knew they made one in blue at one point. I only remember black ones and the trans-black with black burst one. Plus the ones remember were the one with the ibanez imz emg-kinda looking pickups with the EQ switch.

but yeah, something amon those lines, just need bit of fine tuning. For some reason I love the jackson, but this one had some "meh" factor to me. not sure if its the neck, the tone of blue, or the proportion of the guitar, hardware...... maybe it needs a 3+3, or 4+3 headstock :D

did a quick image search in google for RGAs, cant really find one that I like like appart from the Jake B custom, and Chris B ones.... really dig the Chris B cutaways on the horns tho

7. OmegaSlayer

I wonder if there's some strange manufacturing problem we're not aware of so that the reverse headstock must be so rare.
    In my head they're just lefty necks with reverse logos, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think Ibby should run every model at 90% of production with regular headstock and 10% with reverse and see what happens.

8. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

One main issue with non solid colours for Ibanez is the Basswood bodies. There are some Premium models that have transparent colours with Basswood bodies and a maple cap plus veneer but I haven't seen one in person to see how they look.

Reverse headstocks have been used in some models and if I remember the Iron Label Xiphos has one. I think they're a bit stuck in the entry level aesthetic and a bit of the bad part of the 80's. The Rosewood boards they use on their cheaper models, while not necessarily bad quality woods, they are just not aesthetically pleasing.

Personally I have no problems with centered dots on high end guitars. The no inlay fretboard is not easy to navigate, even with side dots. Offset dots are nice but I don't see any improvement in perceived quality. When we go to more extravagant inlays they need to be really well done and the material not to look cheap. Nothing worse than block inlays made from whatever leftover plastic was left in the shop or shark tooth inlays filled with filler all around.

What I'm trying to say is that you can have a classic looking guitar that gives that high end feel but have better looking guitars that feel cheap. One example is the premium line. The guitars might be good, they might sound great and be very well built but even with the exotic woods and matching headstocks they're using on limited models they still look cheap.

The prestige line (over a certain price tag) and the J custom however don't give that vibe at all, even with the black chrome hardware.

EDIT: The new Iron Label Xiphos looks bad ass and really slick, even if it's just a black guitar. It might actually be the opposite than their usual stuff, a guitar that looks expensive but might not be that high quality as Iron labels seem to be below the Premium line in build quality.

9. Neilzord

Neilzord .Metal.

that line built for that shop in Japan should be made into a production model.

26.5" scale and Reversed headstock. Yes please!!! Just make it into the prestige range, or at least premium!

10. Badside

Badside SS.org Regular

And where are the affordable tremolo equipped 7-strings?
    There is no 7420 in Canada, meaning I need to get at least a 927QZMZ which is 1399$CAD!!!!
    And all that money for... the same trem that used to be on the Standard series (EZ-II) but is getting phased out to justify the extra cost of the Premium series. The only real improvement (beside the fancy top) is the IBZ-Dimarzio pickups that I'd be swapping anyway.

Ibanez, I like you, but you are forcing me into the hands of Schecter and Jackson

11. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

Dear Ibanez,

Where is the Premium series in the U.S.A? It has amazing looking guitars with (apparently) better quality than the Standards.

12. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

So what you are asking for is a rerelease of the RGA72QME....?
    [​IMG]
    Has a matching headstock too....

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yes... maybe on a different color, but yeah thats the concept it should had stayed with a nice clean fretboard and matching headstock too :D . only thing to make me happier would have been binding on the neck too

I do like the pickup rings on this one. Maybe would look best with the chrome EMGs. or passive ones

the pic didnt open before, now I finally see it.... but yes, same cool concept with the body binding too. Not sure if I like it better with pickup rings, but that pic def looks way better than other pics, even when I google that model :/ maybe is one of those things that in person look even better

14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

also to keep the topic more general.

Dear Ibanez, where's.....

premium SR bass models with better tops for countries other than US. I know wood looks cool on bass, but please another wood color rather than "brown brown", give us a different shade, clearer, or maybe some nice translucid wood colors like the 1405

also thanks for making the sr buckeye blur. such a beautifull instrument..... but also thanks for the ridiculous un-reachable high price for just a better looking top

also would be nice something different for the prestige SR too.... its been aaaaaages with the same two options, time to mix things up

aslo pleeaaaaaseee a BTB in 34" and 16-17mm spacing....... almost like the btb33 but in standard 5 string tuning

....I ve been following up Ibanez for years waiting to get a new SR "top of the range" to replace my Ibanez 5 string I ve played for 14 years and sinse my first 4 string was an SR I wanted to come back to it. I waited for releases every year, every NAMM post, and every time I get disappointed, sometimes I get used to it and slowly start develop GAS for one of the models, but they never fully speak to me.... For now the btb33 its an almost spot on on my liking, and after try one Im in love... planing to adapt it to play regular BEADG... just need to start saving for it, unless Ibanez releases something better for my likes

15. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

More Prestige models with blank ebony or maple boards, offset dots even, and matching head stocks would be really nice.

They're getting better about it, but they still really need to give the rosewood boards with dots a rest.

16. OmegaSlayer

Yeah, non matching headstocks on Prestige are quite a bummer.
    On some instruments like the RG2228GK is even more silly since the body is Galaxy Black and the headstock just Black.

17. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Folks don't seem to understand how it works. :lol:

We, guitarists, are not Ibanez's customers. In fact that's not how any brand you buy via retailers works.

The distributors/importers and to a lesser extent their customers and Ibanez will make whatever they want, literally anything, as long as the distributors, importers, and dealers front the cost via a minimum order quantity.

This is most apparent with models offered in different regions. That's not Ibanez's doing, it's the importers. The only series that Ibanez has ever "location locked" has been the J.Customs, and it was only because large US and EU retailers stopped putting in decent orders.

If you want something, tell dealers who will then tell distributors who will then order them from Ibanez.

Ibanez could make your favorite guitar ever, but if distributors don't think they can sell them they won't order them, and thus the guitars won't get out there.

At the end of the day models get discontinued, not because they didn't just sell well, but because they sold terribly and the distributors had to take a hit on it which minimizes Ibanez's ability to negotiate with them.

Those RGAs and RGTs everyone always talks about sold miserably. They were available at a discount for nearly a year before they were all sold. The X-Series? Same thing. Once the artists abandoned them and the sales tanked they were harder to move, so distributors stopped ordering. Why did they drop the inlays other than dots on the Prestige line? Because dots sold better.

Ibanez does have the ability to make "unique" models, and have a ton of firsts under their belts, and that's entirely because they're able to negotiate with importers based on successful models.

Also, I think a lot of folks want decidedly non-Ibanez guitars just with an Ibanez logo for some reason. The Ibanez formula has pretty much always been basswood/maple/rosewood with often subdued aesthetics. Their best selling, longest running models fit that bill (RG550/RG1550/RG655).

18. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I understand how that all works Max, you explained it before in another thread.:lol: Thanks btw.

I think Ibanez has gotten the message. Their 2015 offerings reflect that I think. Maybe they're trying to see how well all these standard series/Iron Labels with blank boards, body bindings, and different finishes sell and put more of those features to the Prestige line if they do really well?

Maybe? Idk, hopefully.

19. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

And this is exactly why I get amused with every post about bringing back the RGAs. If anything, they had quite a good run. A few Prestige, Standard and even Gio models, both hardtail and trem, and quite a few non black colours as well. At the very least, there's always the Jake Bowen sig.

As for the X-Series, the Xiphos was definitely a cool instrument. But once Muhammad Suicmez decided to disappear off the musical earth, so did the popularity of the instrument. All the other major users have veered off the shape as well. Those 3 'unique' shapes? Obvious answer. I can even use the reaction on this forum as an example of how that went. The majority hated them and wanted more RGs instead. :lol: That pretty much echoed across the board. Even the Glaive's most prominant user (Mick Thomson) has gone back to RGs too. Which leads to...

:agreed: I've never understood this logic. On the grand scope of things, Ibanez has a surprisingly wide range of different kinds of guitars. There was a meme that said it best, like AT models = strat dude, FR models = hipster, J Custom = deep pockets, something along those lines. Hell, they've even experimented on all things random (RG Kaoss). Of course those will still pale in sales compared to their flagship RG.

20. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah I know what you mean, same issue just we are focusing on a different target then lol

Maybe we should change the topic of this tread to: "Dear Ibanez distributors/importers..Wehre's......." lol

but yeah I know how that works, if people dont buy, they dont order, they dont build. But that's what I was trying to say before, it is a fine line there as someone has to take the desicition of what to build in the first place. people cant really buy something if theres nothing to buy.... is a circle, "I only buy Y color because no-one release X .....We dont build X color because no-one buys them, ppl buy Y.."

I understand that there is risk for sellers and they only order what is "going to sell" or what the "market ask" in their countries. So cool, get your order of "X" basses or guitar for your country, but dont deny the other models. Have them on catalog, but as a "dealer order only".

So yeah I would never see one at the shops, but if I want to, I could order one at my shop, they would make an order to the dealer. That I would have to wait x amount of time to get it?... awesome, dont care. but let me buy it. is not hurting anyone, my shop/dealer/importer all of them are still making their share, I just have to wait till the "next shipment"