Dean Vendetta VNXM 7 String

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by MetalMyke, Jan 20, 2011.

1. MetalMyke

MetalMyke SS.org Regular

Myke here, reviewing my first ever 7 string! So let's get right down to business...

Specifications:

24 fret, 25.5" Scale (I think)
    Bolt-on Maple Neck w/ Rosewood fretboard
    Dean Stock Pickups
    Tune-o-matic bridge, Diecast tuners
    Black hardware
    1 tone, 1 volume, 3-way switch

------------X

X-Features-X \\4//

This guitar has pretty much standard features for a $200 guitar. 25.5" scale, stock pickups, bolt-on maple neck; standard stuff. Nothing too impressive, nothing too disappointing either.

The neck is pretty thin, and actually plays very, very well. It holds tune decently, although I find my lowest string going flat frequently. Only a minor issue really, though.

X-Sound-X \\3//

Okay, here's where we get a little negative. These pickups and I have a love-hate relationship. Some days, I'm really digging the sound I'm getting, and the other days I play for about 5 minutes and put it down because I just can't stand them. I play this guitar through a Peavey Vypyr 30, which I've had for a while and already tweaked to get maximum brutality out of.

Upon receiving this guitar in the mail, I knew right from the get-go not to get too excited about these pickups, but after I plugged it in I was more disappointed than I prepared myself for. The sound was just utterly awful, almost as bad as the Jonas Brothers.

After a couple days of tweaking, I found a tone that gets me that crunchy, Tech Death/Deathcore sound I love...some days. I'd compare the good days to the tone Veil of Maya has on their [id] album.

X-Action, Fit and Finish-X \\3//

This 7 string has a plain, glossy black finish which is actually transparent on the back. It sort of eludes me why the trans-black finish doesn't spread across the whole guitar. It still looks good, however.

When I got this guitar, the strings were unbearably twangy, which I guess added to the horrible sound I got on day one. This was easily fixed by humidifying it, though. It was also far out of tune, as expected. I currently have it tuned in Drop A, which is higher than my 6 string is tuned (Drop G#) oddly. Only a half step, but still odd.

X-Reliability-X \\2//

This guitar only gets such a low score in this area due to a minor, yet excessively annoying problem it had. The strap buttons fell off after about two days because the screws didn't hold then down very well. I put new, bigger screws in them, but still I'm thinking what the flying fuck? Is Dean retarded? And then I remember why DBZ Guitars exists...

X-Overall-X \\3//

I would recommend this guitar if you want something you can modify, or if are looking to start playing 7 strings. It's a decent guitar and you get what you pay for, but beware the awful pickups. They're almost moody.

I plan on switching the bridge pickup out for a Seymour Duncan Invader; I like the neck pickup in clean, and since I'm using the bridge pickup 97% of the time, I figure it can stay.

------------X

Thanks for reading! My first review and my first 7 string; I feel like a virgin again.

Just for reference, I play this guitar in Drop A and play Technical Death/Deathcore, which means minor thirds, sweeps, chugs, fast riffs and nifty solos. Oh, and breakdowns.

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Stock strap buttons always suck. Get some Dunlop strap locks and thank me later :D

3. osso

osso SS.org Regular

That guitar is sick... i got one yesterday, it is used but the guy who sold it to me changed the bridge pickup for a emg hz for seven strings and it sounds so great, the pickup is the one that the Schecter Damien 7 has.. I'm from Ecuador and here the guitars are very expensie but i got it for 224 hahaah

4. The McThief

The McThief The Boss Man

Sweet review man. I've had one of these for awhile, and I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's strap buttons fell out haha

5. pawiffuwee

pawiffuwee SS.org Regular

Would this be a good guitar for me if I'm just starting out on 7 strings?