DCM800

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by MiahDrao, Jun 20, 2016.

1. MiahDrao

MiahDrao SS.org Regular

Anybody else see this? I know the Aries series features a multiscale eight-string, but I guess there's a multiscale option for the dc800? It seems too good to be true. It says the fan is 26-27.5". Neck-thru, if I'm not mistaken.

DCM8 MULTISCALE 8-STRING NECK THROUGH ELECTRIC GUITAR | KieselGuitars.com

2. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

Am I the only one who thought this thread was gonna be for an 8-string Dino Cazares sig? :lol:

3. ItWillDo

ItWillDo MOUTHOFTHERIVER

I was actually hoping that would be it.

4. ferret

ferret Not worthy

5. MiahDrao

MiahDrao SS.org Regular

Well, I'm behind the times by a matter of 12 days. Still, no matter when one discovers this, it's a pretty nifty find.

6. diablo_man

diablo_man SS.org Regular

Isnt 27.5" scale on the 8th string still a bit short for an 8?

Most fanned ones I see tend to be at 28

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Nah, it's probably right about average, I'd guess. I have a few 25.5-27" 8s. That seems to be popular, but obviously there are much longer ones, so the average skews higher.

8. HaloHat

HaloHat 7 string Baritones

I wish more 7 strings had 27.5" scale options. I have to admit the best feel of all my 7 strings is my 27.5" straight scale 2010 SG7 Cobra. The longer scale on the high strings doesn't bother me at all. I would have bought at least three other 7 string Carvin-Kiesel guitars if they even offered a straight 27" on them.

1. 7 string 27" Ultra V
    2. 7 string 27" X227
    3. 7 string 27" TL7

I would go broke if they offered some 7 string Multi-Scale models with the DCM8 26-27.5 scale. That would be Frickin' Perfect :yesway: Although as you may see from the three I listed above I am pretty much burnt out on the Super Strat shapes. I have enough of those already in 26.5/27/27.5 scale. I think my 7 string Ibanez Nylon string acoustic is 25.5 yet I tune that to B Standard so not an issue there. The others I am tuning down as low as G# Standard [three half steps down] and that most definitely does not work for me set up wise with 25.5, I don't even like how the 26.5 feels or needs set up that low.

Big difference in price [$300] from the Kiesel 8 string 27" straight scale DC800 at $1049 base to the DCM8 Multi Scales 26-27.5 at $1349 base. Probably worth it to most I would think. Plus $1349 for the base model seems like a pretty killer deal anyways.

9. diablo_man

Im looking forward to my Ormsby 7 string, has a 25.5-27.8" fan on it, should be pretty killer on the low end strings.

Would be weird to get a 8 string with a shorter scale length than my incoming 7.

10. MiahDrao

MiahDrao SS.org Regular

^That could be the fun of it, though! Who cares if the 7-string is bigger?

Honestly, the scale on the bass side does slightly turn me away, but that doesn't mean that dc800's aren't good guitars. About every Kiesel/Carvin-owner raves about how excellent theses instruments are, and I don't doubt it for a second. It's an issue of personal preference for string tension. If Kiesel does decide to come out with a 28" scale or even 30" in the future, I'd be down. They said they wouldn't do fanned frets, right? And now we have them! Who's to say they won't do giant scale lengths next?

As for the 27.5" maximum that Kiesel currently offers, I'm confident you can still get heavy low-end tones. Deftones does so just fine on the 27" scale, and they're the ones who first inspired me to spring for an 8-string. And, of course, Tosin Abasi also uses the 27" scale. The longer scale is solely dominated by Meshuggah, as far as I know.

11. diablo_man

Oh, no question on their quality, my main guitar is a fairly done up Carvin DC727 and it is an amazing instrument.

12. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Lmao you beat be to it :lol: