David Gilmour: I love Moon/Wall, but...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Aug 18, 2017.

1. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

meddle and wish you were here are great

2. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Comfortably numb was the wall

3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

You are correct.

4. Type_R3387

Type_R3387 SS.org Regular

If you haven't yet, you seriously owe it to yourself to listen to Animals. Truly a fantastic piece of work!

watson503, fps and EmaDaCuz like this.
  5. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

There's no law forcing you to like all Pink Floyd output. I personally like exactly one song and that's it...

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

There's nothing wrong with liking or not liking something, despite what other people think of it.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I love both of those albums top to bottom, and a couple of their other songs here and there, but I have never been able to get into their deeper catalogue, even though I've tried. It's not at all bad stuff, it's just...different. Actually, DSotM was more of a phase for me, and now I can't listen to the entire album without taking a nap - don't get me wrong, it's great music, and each song individually doesn't have that effect on me. :lol:

I think it's all part of that first wave of progressive rock from the UK - I love Emerson Lake and Palmer, Yes, King Crimson, and more, but I have to be in the right state of mind anymore to listen to more than a track or two of each at a time. It's something about the energy level of it - much of the music is just on the slow side of mid-tempo, so it can put you in a gently sleepy mood. Also, it's what my parents listened to a lot, so it makes me think of being 9 years old and playing with legos. :lol:

But, to me, the Wall transcends those moods and just makes great anytime music. Maybe because it really is not from that same era, but came later, and was Pink Floyd's defining moment of their later mid-career.

7. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

His first solo album from 1978 is one of my favorites.

8. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Wish You Were Here is one of my top 10 albums of all time, Shine on You Crazy Diamond is awesome, and Welcome to the Machine is my top Floyd track.

Pulse is an awesome album as already mentioned, but they play Dark Side cover to cover in the show so its just unreal.

Animals is solid, but overall its hard to steer someone in the direction of what PF stuff is best. It's so varied and so unique compared to really anything else that it's really just about self discovery in terms of what you might like. Obviously helps to have a reference point of what other people have found they can get into though.

Hope you find some tracks you like, let us know how it goes!

Unleash The Fury likes this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I kept trying, and found a few tracks that were interesting, but the other stuff I checked out didn't have many songs like Dark Side and The Wall do. I haven't checked out any of David's solo stuff though.

10. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained SS.org Regular

David has made a couple of live dvd/blurays. They are worth checking out! :)
    He plays a solid mix of Pink Floyd songs and solo material songs in each concert.
    Check out "Live at Royal Albert Hall" and his new "Live at Pompeii". I saw the latter in the movie theater earlier this week. It's really awesome! :D

11. fps

fps Kit

Animals is my fave. I find them generally too glacial to really connect with.

12. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Fwiw, if you were looking for more albums that sound like the wall and dark side, you wont find them.

13. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Yeap.

Darkside is to me a very Commercial Pink Floyd and for a long time I though it had came out after Wish You Were Here (My fav from Floyd).

Like others already said, Animals is an amazing Album but after Wish my fav is Meddle.

Its one of the most "tripy" Floyd Records and its probably the heaviest of them as well.

Songs like One of The Days

and Echoes

are Pearls in Floyd catalog, they can totally immerse you and you just go with the flow. I used to listen to them a lot at my younger age with Lights off and closed eyes (and lots of time high :p) and they are still some of my favourite Floyd tunes today.

I dont really care much about The Wall or the boring and dull Final Cut. The rest after really doesnt say anything to me and Momentary was a total let down at the time it came out.

watson503 and Unleash The Fury like this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Have you tried listening to Roger Waters solo stuff? He had a bigger hand in the music than Gilmour did, including writing just about all of The Wall. There's a reason Roger tours The Wall, not David.

15. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

Meddle...what a great album. Other than seeing the Not Now John on MTV back when I was a kid, I never really gave The Final Cut album a listen until years later - I actually really like the album, just don't listen to it that often as it conjures up some depression and memories I'd rather keep repressed.

Speaking of Meddle, this is one of my favorites off the album:

mpexus likes this.
  16. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Yeah I did long long time ago and at the time it didn't gathered my interest, maybe I need to give it a proper listening after all these years, and to Gilmour solo stuff as well.

Theres Bands that I really enjoy the collective Music but then when Artists of those Bands go solo they dont really attract me Musically. Mark Knopfler is one of those cases, LOVE some of Dire Straits records but him alone not really.

The Wall is basically all Waters, its his life story (take it or leave in some parts) so to me it was a Waters + Floyd members Record. Theres really amazing songs there and one of the best if not the best guitar solo ever in that Record, so much feeling in that solo its almost unbelievable one could came up with.

There are several video Doc's about some Floyd Records (Wall included) but I will share my most beloved Floyd one:

Funny that until I saw that Doc some years ago I had no clue that it wasn't Waters singing on Have a Cigar. Seems he was having really voice difficulties to record that track and Roy Harper stepped in but everybody always though it was Waters singing :D

17. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Yep, Roy had been bugging the band about being on a song and just happened to be kicking around when Roger was trying to get it done, worked out for the both of them.

I was raised on Floyd. My dad brought me to see them in '94 when I was 11 and I had my first guitar 9 months later. Hearing Gilmour's guitar rip through a stadium just blew me away. I was already a devout junkie of their music by the time I saw them. I was a bit of a weird kid.

Growing up I always preferred the Gilmour version of Floyd, but as I got older I realized how amazing Waters was as a writer/lyricist. There's a reason Gilmour has his wife and friends writing lyrics for his music. He's still my all time favorite guitarist and I don't think there's anyone who hits me as hard with their playing.

He did indeed use HM-2's in several of his rigs through the years, but he also has Pete Cornish do a lot of modding on his pedals.

Division Bell/Pulse tour rig-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1984 About Face solo tour-
    [​IMG]

I can honestly listen to him play guitar all fuckin' day and not get sick of it. His tones on the Pulse tour were just so huge. He's gone back to using standard single-coils again, but my favorite tones were during the EMG years.

I'm a Gilmour nut to the point that I haven't gone to see Roger Waters simply because I can't listen to someone else play Gilmour's guitar parts.

If I remember correctly, Waters has exclusive rights to play The Wall in it's entirety which was part of the deal when he left the band in the late 80's. Very much how like Geoff Tate has the rights to perform Operation: Mindcrime in it's entirety but Queensryche does not.....except Waters wrote a fuck of a lot more for The Wall than Tate did O:M.

It's not a far fetched idea that The Wall is a Waters' solo record with some contributions from Gilmour. Rick Wright was fired during that album and they had studio guys playing most of Nick Mason's parts, but The Final Cut is definitely a Waters' solo record with Gilmour on some parts, released under the Floyd name. Waters actually asked the band before recording The Wall what they wanted to work on, the Final Cut or the concept of The Wall.....good thing they went with The Wall because they would have imploded before getting The Wall even started.

18. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

"Animals" & "Wish you were here" are a must imho! The recent stuff, I love MLoR, Division Bell (great use of whammy pedal on Marooned). Last one is nice, but more of a conclusion to DB than a separate LP.

19. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

Nobody has mentioned saucerfull of secrets

20. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

I think Waters' versions are superior to Floyd's, especially on the In The Flesh cd/dvd. IMHO it really highlights how utterly mediocre Nick Mason's drumming in Floyd is to hear someone a lot better playing the tracks.