Dave Mustaine and his pickups - Over The Years

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Yash94, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Yash94

Yash94 SS.org Regular

He uses the whammy bar in wake up dead, watch rude awakening :)

2. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

That was a good read !

Mike

Yash94 likes this.
  3. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

I have an L500XL that I bought sometime around 97' or 98' from Stew Mac. It was installed in a POS Jackson PS-4 that I decided some years later that it would be a project guitar, but I never did anything with it. It's in pieces. Still have the Bill Lawrence though, but it's not installed in anything. If I recall I think originally Dime had them in the neck too, but then he ended up switching to a 59'.

4. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Definitely not trolling here, but I really don't get what the deal is with the hate on the Thrash Factor set. I heard his Thrash Factor tone and I honestly feel it sounds fine for what he's doing. And honestly, he still has two signature sets, so that's still good on him. I wouldn't really call him an outright liar because you technically have to really praise the brand you have an endorsement deal with, and honestly, he's pretty old, so whatever he's gone through has done a number on him anyway, which means maybe he might have some memory problems or something along those lines, so I wouldn't rate him that harsh (yes, I know about his drugs and alcohol problems he had to go through). Not saying he's a saint by any stretch of imagination, but I wouldn't really peg him for a liar either. I honestly think his tone is pretty close to what I hear on the albums anyway. Just with a bit more gain and treble, which I don't blame him for because, well, maybe he's just used to dialing that much gain. I know I dialed a lot more gain in some tracks vs some others and then I learned my lesson.

WintermintP

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  5. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

The thrash factor tone is horrendous. It sounds like a swarm of angry bees.

Not really sure why you're trying to defend him by pointing out he has signature gear. Sure he does. It doesn't mean it's good gear, surely after seeing the whole fiasco with Bulb's pedal endorsements play out on this forum you know that?

And this isn't about whether his memory is shot. It's about the fact he routinely jumps ship to new companies and talks down the old ones while talking up the new. It's about how he endorses products he clearly doesn't give a shit about (Like that Digitech pedal), and doesn't use. (Like the Axxion).

Having a poor memory doesn't at all excuse the primary complaint - which is that what Dave says about his own gear is clearly dictated by how much money it will make him. He's not the first and won't be the last - have you seen some of the quotes from Ynwgie, when he switched to Seymour Duncan? Same shit, different artist.

6. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

Lots of interesting responses and I learned a lot about the band. Artist signature pickups is something that I never really got into just because I was obsessing over amps/guitars/pedals. I like Megadeth and I think Dave is a great player. I see guys like Hetfield and Mustaine and they are getting older and older. It makes sense all these companies will try to squeeze out what's left in the market and come up with new products endorsed by those guys. Gotta say I am not a fan of companies coming up with new product every now and then when the artist is no longer with us though (ie. Dime, Hide (X) ).

Manurack likes this.
  7. Yash94

Yash94 SS.org Regular

A little update. Some people from the Seymour Duncan forums say he had a Bill Lawrence L500R in the neck. Or an L500XL. I'll have to try and confirm from a few more sources. Will keep you guys updated.

Can I have it? haha

I actually like it. He used a passive pickup all his career and the best Megadeth years. So, it's only fair he makes a signature pickup based on that. He totally isn't lying, and, he did use Seymour Duncan his whole career and the new pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB based pickup. Totally amazing. His Thrash Factor tone in the Seymour Duncan video is absolutely horrible though. But, I bet the pickups sound a lot better than that. It was just too roughly recorded.

I've heard mostly only good things about Mustaine's livewire set. It's the unbeatable Duncan JB/Jazz set in an active form. He does tend to overpraise his endorsements and over market it, but, he is getting money for it, and the way the music industry is right now, I think that's a major portion of his income now. But, he never totally dissed any of his former stuff. Especially when you're talking to him one on one on social media (like GimmeRadio or Twitter). He does overdo it in the interviews though :lol:

Now, about the Axxion, I don't know what the deal was, but that sure is a cool guitar. On my wish list.

And, what Digitech pedal are you talking about? He did have an ok sounding zoom pedal.

I agree. Just keep their old product if the guy is no longer with us. Like ESP did with Jeff Hanneman. To be honest, Mustaine's pickup endorsement is my favourite, one is just a more aggressive version of his usual pickup, and he uses them exclusively live, and the other is a recreation of the pickup from his favourite guitar. Makes sense to me.

8. WintermintP

^ This.

@GuitarBizarre To add on top, if a lot of the artists are doing the same thing, then you really can't blame him specifically for it. You'll have to look into other factors to blame instead. Does he lie? Technically to some point, but it's not so bad that I'd call him an outright con.

WintermintP

9. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Who said I was blaming him specifically for it? I literally gave the example of Yngwie doing it in my previous post.

But, at the same time, other people also doing it doesn't absolve anyone of anything. Nobody says "Well, he assaulted someone, but then again, so did everyone else present so it was fine" - No, we just call it a riot and arrest everyone who contributed.

Obviously we don't arrest people for shilling product or being moneygrubbers (Although in Gene Simmon's case perhaps we should), but just because it's common doesn't justify it, not one bit. It's the consumer's responsibility to keep the marketplace honest. You can't simply let yourself be lied to and bend over to take it.

10. WintermintP

At the same time, I'm not saying it's justifiable, but what I am saying is that the companies themselves and other factors are at play as well. Did Mustaine overdo the praise? Sure. Can you really say he's doing the wrong thing? No, he was obligated to make Seymour Duncan look good, it's just that he got a little too overboard so he does sound like a sellout a little bit. I'm not saying what he's doing is justifiable, but you have to point the finger at other factors (even if you still believe that Mustaine or Malmsteen was in the wrong you still have to look at the other factors in play as well).

Now whether he does use his signature products he endorses, that's debatable. I've seen him still use a number of them, and although I don't think I've seen him play the Axxion live, I don't think he didn't really care about the guitar either, because if he didn't, then why wouldn't he just get another V?

(although, I will admit, when I saw the Axxion when I was a kid, I actually liked the shape; it's at least fresh compared to the traditional shapes and I'm kinda tired of seeing guitars in the same traditional shapes all the time, although I wouldn't want anything too abstract or controversial either, but I don't think the Axxion had a shape that would warrant anything controversial; if it looked like, say, a phallus then it would've been another story)

EDIT: Okay, looking back I can see why people would call it god awful, but I've seen body shapes that are much worse in the past, and I still think the shape is still pretty okay.

WintermintP

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  11. Yash94

Yash94 SS.org Regular

Update - So, a friend checked his King V Pro, the neck pickup isn't a Bill Lawrence L500XL, it's an L500R (apparently that's what it's called) and has a peak resistance of 7.51 ohms. There. Some gaps cleared up.

And, my KV1 has a JB in the neck. Which is not stellar. So, I want to get it replaced. Now, what do I want, that's another thread probably. My application and needs are very different from Mustaine's

Yes, he does overpraise. haha! And, he uses most of the signature products he endorses, the guitars (all except the Axxion), the Marshall cab, the small marshall stack for practice, the Duncan pickups. If he has his name, he uses it. The two exceptions being the Axxion, which he used just for promo videos and never live, and the Zoom G2.1 DM pedal, which he also just demoed online and it was done there.

And, I do like the Axxion. It's a comfortable and ergonomic shape (to me at least) and looks cool.

12. WintermintP

It's a shame that the body shape was thrown away like that. If I ever get to endorse ESP the first thing I might do is revive that shape. Just with the horn modified so it's not as hideous. Also make it a 7-stringer and add a Floyd and EMGs. The rest of the body shape is still awesome.

WintermintP

13. Yash94

Yash94 SS.org Regular

Well, apparently, ESP can't do it since Dave says it's his design, well, that's what he says everywhere. So, more power to him. He did say that he would re-introduce his former signature guitars known as Jackson KV1 or the ESP DV8, the Jackson Y2KV and the ESP Axxion with his new endorsement with Dean Guitars. I did ask him about that on public forums like Twitter, Periscope, and 2 weeks ago on the gimmeradio chat. He did say that the Axxion is cool and that'd be a great idea on periscope. And on gimmeradio chat, he just replied "maybe ;)"

So, who knows. Maybe Dean will make the headstock a little better? If so, I might be the first one to jump on to a USA custom Axxion, given the right time.

14. WintermintP

I really wish I could come up with a guitar with a custom shape as well... I'm really sick of the same V's, Explorers, Les Pauls, Telecasters, Superstrats, etc.

WintermintP