Dark Tower teaser/trailers are out.

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by KnightBrolaire, May 2, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

This looks like a freaking train wreck, glowing guns and snapping bullets out of the air :facepalm:

4. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I intend to see the film at a bar theater full of hecklers. Even ignoring Johnny Marketing's brainstorm to change the race of the protagonist for no reason anyone will cop to, this project has been in development hell for too long to come out as even a solid turd.

5. twizza

twizza Social Assassin

They ruin everything cool.

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Reloading by catching bullets in the air? I hope they don't turn the fighting into the matrix.

Edit: full trailer is up. I'm not sure what to make of it. Visually it looks amazing but they've really twisted the story up and not in a good way imo, especially Jake's.

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Seriously, this is pretty odd.

Jake having visions of the other world, knowingly walking into a portal to SOMEWHERE, etc... it's just, not Dark Tower-esque. He was our fish out of water character that the reader identifies with as the stranger in this new land, but now it's seems sort of Last Action Hero where the kid has more info about the characters and it's like a play he gets roped into.

8. KnightBrolaire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BquA78fFhus

ehh.. I'm just going to pretend this has nothing to do with the books and treat it as a good stupid action movie. I guess IT is my only hope for a decent steven king movie besides the shining/salem's lot/the mist.

9. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

How about rita hayworth and the shawshank redemption and green mile?

And for this dark tower movie... Uh oh. Doesn't look promising at all.

10. Lorcan Ward

I really don't like how they are trying to cover themselves by saying its a sequel/retelling/etc, as if that makes it ok to completely change up the story. Jake's story in books 1 + 3 is my favourite part of the story after the Mejis arc and we are getting very little of that here.

11. KnightBrolaire

yeah forgot about those, good call. Thinner is also pretty good imo.

12. wankerness

Looks like it's going to end with a sky portal. Also, makes it look like it's in the style of a young adult book adaptation :wallbash:

13. KnightBrolaire

well minus the guy getting his brains blown out at the end of the trailer, sure.

14. wankerness

And? You think a bad guy getting shot makes it mature and for adults? That happening in the dark like that doesn't really mean anything, worse things happened in PG-13 movies (ex, X-Men Apocalypse, or even the first Hunger Games). Even if it ends up being rated R, it still looks like it's about a plucky kid who encounters a gritty old guy and helps him get his groove back. There are many examples of R-rated kids movies, some good (Attack the Block), some bizarre failures that are hard Rs but were clearly made for kids and end up movies for no one (Ice Cream Man!).

The trailer is cut in such a way it makes it sound like he's having to convince Roland to stop the tower from destroying the world. Argh. I'll hope it's just an awful trailer and it's a movie that they can't figure out how to market, instead of some portent of something that's going to be cut up by committee over the next months into schizophrenic, movie-for-no-one form like Suicide Squad. After the examples of the latter recently, I'm not very hopeful. The main thing that bugs me is just how it seems so Jake-centric, and especially how this makes it seem like Roland is content with letting the world be destroyed until Jake tells him how great earth is.

15. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

WTF is with Jake giving Roland a pep talk like he was going to give up or something? The entire essence of Roland's character was that he was completely obsessed with the Tower above all else. He sacrificed EVERYTHING for the quest. That scene makes me think they completely missed the essence of the character. Bleh train wreck. I'll rent it and treat it as a dumb action flick :lol:

They have forgotten the face of their fathers.

16. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

:yesway: That sums it up perfectly

17. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

When Savannah asked Blaine "What has four wheels and flies," Blaine quickly answered: "The Dark Tower (2017)."

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm being open minded about this one.

As I understand, this is set as a "sequel" of sorts to the Dark Tower series, picking up in the books at the epilogue, where Roland finds himself back at the start of The Gunslinger, in the desert, but with the Horn of Eld at his belt. That leaves a LOT of room for artistic license, which, if done well, could work pretty well.

Switching the race of the lead character is a bit tricky, especially with all the Detta/Odetta drama, but Elba is such a badass that I'm willing to hear it out (and, I think, the casting seems to work well in the trailer). I actually was really hoping he'd be the next Bond.

19. Lorcan Ward

^See that was a really cool idea when King posted it on his twitter but its now being used as an excuse to cover their asses for blatantly disregarding the source material. If Jake actually sits Roland down for a pep talk then they've completely twisted his character up so much that its not even Roland.

Anybody ever check out the graphic novels, the Gilead ones were really good since they fill in the story between Wizard & Glass and the Gunslinger opening.
    [​IMG]

20. KnightBrolaire

the graphic novels are awesome, they're part of what prompted me to read the books, even though I was a huge stephen king fan before