Dark Matter Instruments: New Headless 6, 7, and 8-strings

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Jeff, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I think a blobby upper bout is always ugly. In fact, I remember plenty of people hating the Tosin sig. It seemed to mirror this thread, actually. Some people liked it, others hated it.

2. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I'm personally not ready to take the headless plunge but these looks cool and kudos on doing the work to get bridge and pickups that you can stand behind.

Shame to see so much jumping to conclusions about your parts and manufacturing and so on and so forth, hope this bodes well I love what you've done with the Hyperion and wish you luck with this.

Also maybe like he said the guy who designs guitars has some designs he wants to try and share with the world and isn't building to a price point or trying to reinvent the wheel, so many millions of superstrats yet any other body shape that is similarish to something else is not innovative.

Anyways good luck Joe!! keep it up

3. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Is this supposed to mean something in English?

4. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

That's all well and fine but when people are like "mmmBBWWUH UPPER BOUT! KLEIN! KLEIN! COPY CATS!" I'm just like... The Ovation Breadwinner came out in the 70's, chill :scratch:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  5. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

$2000 for an Indonesian guitar is "nuts", in my opinion, because every other Indonesian guitar is nowhere near that, that I know of. Even the limited edition Ibanez stuff is $600 lower.

It's not that the quality is good or bad, it's that Strandberg is saving even more money on labor, but charging more for the guitar. That rubs me the wrong way.

In nearly every other case where cheaper labor is involved, the manufacturer passes the savings onto the consumer in order to get more guitars in more peoples' hands. See PRS, Ibanez, Jackson, etc.

Anecdotally, no, I've never played an Indonesian guitar that is as good as a Japanese or American one.

I've played a Korean Boden, and it's not at a Prestige level of quality, in my view.

Also, I started the thread, I'll post where I want to post.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

These look unique to me, but I certainly see the homage to Klein. I will say that I am not a huge fan of the aesthetic, but I'd be willing to come around if the ergonomics are excellent enough.

It is refreshing to see something like this.

7. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

I'd like to play the devil's advocate and say that while the labor is cheap (which I have my own feelings about, would it kill a business to pay it's workers a living wage?) The amalgamation of Ola Strandberg's intellectual property/design, unconventionality, features/ hardware, new/hip/cool/trendy → demand is what drives the price up beyond what is normally perceived as "normal acceptable Indonesian-made guitar" price. So yeah there's an incongruity there.

8. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Sure, that could be. But to me, it's not remotely worth it. Not when even the Korean one was pretty underwhelming in terms of quality.

9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

premiums are hitting 1600. they'll be 2k in the next 5 years.

2k indo prices don't make much sense when japan is like 1500...but they'll make a ton of sense when japan is 3k.

10. JoeGuitar717

JoeGuitar717 Balaguer Guitars Vendor

I just want to take a minute and respond to some of the strong assumptions made here. Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion, but I just wanted to clear the air...I didn't attend luthiery school to undercut other companies or to sell a cheap guitar just to sell a guitar. That isn't my "main" selling point with Balaguer or Dark Matter. I'm sure from face value or the surface, people will see the design and immediately default to other headless guitars because well, what else is there? This market is still rather young, but I argue that this design really is unique and if you eventually play one, youll know that.

Yes affordability comes into any business model I come up with because I grew up only being able to afford guitars under $1000, and I see the importance of it. It isn't my main concern though, as I build USA Custom Balaguers that are priced over 2k. Everything has its place.

I just know there is a gap in the market for high quality, well built, affordable headless guitars and I know I can offer something unique that I put a lot of effort into, that has consistent QC, and I want people to have that other option.

In closing, Im excited to launch these designs, as I do think they are unique and offer something different to the headless market. Hope you guys can all get along eventually, haha, and check them out at a future NAMM!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.