Dark Matter Instruments: New Headless 6, 7, and 8-strings

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Jeff, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

:lol:

The shoulders?

2. dirtool

dirtool SS.org Regular

I like it, I think this is the chance to get my first headless
    More colors & trim options are welcome

3. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

More options in the market is a good thing. I'd love to see a tremolo versio.

4. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

$2000 for an Indonesian guitar is flat out nuts, sorry.

AxeHappy likes this.
  5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

don't buy one? i mean you can't cuz they are sold out.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I’m not going to fill this thread with a ton of OT debate — happy to discuss this issue in its own thread (and it’s probably overdue for some discussion). I will simply say that it’s foolish to try to generalize near anything at the level of “country”. There is nothing inherent in an Indonesian worker that makes them any less capable than a Korean worker, that makes them any less capable than a US worker. Failing to take into account case-specific variables and make a statement like that is just a dumb thing to do. This is exactly the same attitude the US used to have with Japanese-made guitars.

How many Indonesian guitars cost $2k? Not many, sure. However, not many Indonesian guitars have a strandberg trem, 3 Suhr pickups, a roasted birdseye maple neck, multiscale, and a flame maple top. But let’s take any further chat about this to its own thread.

7. faridm_7

faridm_7 SS.org Regular

Pictures from that linked thread of the guitar being played live make the guitar look so much better than the regular pictures here. The design makes way more sense to me now. I didn't like it at first but now I'm thinking it's something I would play

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. JoeGuitar717

JoeGuitar717 Balaguer Guitars Vendor

Just a quick clip of the AN8:

A few live shots of our buddy Eli playing the AN6 prototype:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  9. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Congrats, you’ve totally made a huge assumption. Where did I say quality?

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

You don't have to literally say the word "quality" to be judging the quality of an object. You said "$2000 for an Indonesian guitar is flat out nuts". What could you mean by that? I'll claim it's synonymous for "An Indonesian guitar is not worth $2000."

On the subject of worth, one can say "it's not worth $2000" to mean (1) no one will pay $2000, i.e., that it's not worth $2000 from the perspective of the market. This includes arguments like, "There's already an example of X on the market for Y price." Or (2) one can mean the properties of the item do not warrant $2000. Since it has every other Indo guitar beat in terms of features, what does that leave besides quality?

To the former point, they're sold out so that's completely discredited. To the latter point, we're back to talking about quality. If you mean something so otherwise obtuse than that, you can't be surprised when people misinterpret your one-liner (whatever its actual meaning was).

Now I don't mean to go back on my word here continuing this so if you want to reply, make a new thread.

Hollowway likes this.
  11. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Not worth the time. You’re such an expert at strawman arguments I’m not sure we’d get anywhere. Have a nice day.

12. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

What a compelling response.

Hollowway likes this.
  13. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I know, right? But by all means, let’s keep turding up this thread.

14. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I can see elements of a both a Klein and Strandberg in this, but both of those were original and disruptive designs. I don’t dislike the look of this, I just don’t think it’s particularly memorable. The thing that puts me off to them is that they just feel like a reaction to the market and a price-point design, rather than something innovative or interesting. That could potentially be a good business strategy, but not something that’s going to get my interest as a new guitar brand.

Lemons and Randy like this.
  15. diagrammatiks

As long as you read posting.

It’s funny you think this is what the guitar market wants companies to do. Break you ground! No. Not everyone has to break new ground. Only one company has to do that to prove market viability. Everyone else is allowed to iterate. His is actually true everywhere.

16. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

On the other hand, a lot of people want a headless guitar, but don’t like the body shape of the Klein or the Strandberg, myself included. So while these may have elements of both, it’s different enough to be compelling. Additionally, given what Balaguer Guitars generally go for, I think price will be a selling point too.

17. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I never said the market wants that. I'm not even suggesting they won't be successful - I hope they are. I just said that for me, I'm not interested in a company that is just building to a price point, rather than bringing anything new to the table. That's why I respect designs like the ones I referenced, and why I'm not interested in this.

Totally fair - everyone likes what they like. And to your point, I think the price will be the main selling point, but that's what rubs me the wrong way about them. It borrows heavily from the popularity of other designs, and offers a cheaper alternative. I realize this is common and accepted in the guitar world (and in general), and again, that's why I'm not personally interested. I can get behind a design that's heavily inspired by another and tries to make it better. But this, on the surface anyway, just seems to be trying to make it cheaper.

18. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

I don't get why this is getting turded on for having a tall(er) bass side upper bout when there's been at least more than 2-3 builders that have incorporated that into their designs
    Teuffel, Ovation, Klein, Tosin Abasi's Ibanez and Jesse Hall guitar, etc.

@diagrammatiks put it well, sometimes you just need to use pieces of what's already there to make something cool.

19. diagrammatiks

i mean single cuts are good. I actually like this shape better then the single cut shoggie which kind of looks like it was put out in the sun too long.

20. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

Also lord a livin' if there's some pastel color; matte or gloss finishes in the cards
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.