Daniel Shaver Killed By Police While Being Ordered to Crawl...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Rawkmann, Dec 10, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

If no officers saw a gun and the suspect didn't do anything threatening (hard to say if you weren't there), then he should not have been treated this way in the first place. I mean, it turned out that he had, what a couple of pellet rifles in his closet, and no weapons on him. I think everyone agrees this was needless, but where it went wrong was before the cameras were even rolling.

Here's my take on this:

#1 "Serve and protect" means nothing. It's now proven. The Joseph Lozito case set the precedent that police have no legal obligation to protect anyone. Let me say that again for emphasis, because it is so completely insane: The police have no legal obligation to protect anyone. If you are getting beaten to death right in front of the police and they do nothing to stop it, oh well.

#2 The cops interpret "protect the peace" as doing the best they can to get their way and not really anything else. That might be okay, except when they're wrong, and, well, lately they've been quite publicly wrong, a lot.

#3 This bullshit has gone on for decades, probably longer. I grew up in the 1980's and 1990's in Detroit, and I had two next door neighbours shot and killed by police. One was just a kid when it happened - he was unarmed and the only thing he did wrong was trying to run away from a cop during an interview on the street, and the cop shot him in the back as he ran away. I think it was much worse then, but back then, hardly anyone had a video camera.

#4 I do believe that most cops would never do something like this. However, I have reason to believe that most cops, even the ones who would not do this, would still stick up for their coworkers who do stuff like this, and it interferes with justice in general, and to me, that's a systematic problem which needs to be addressed in a very public way.

#5 The system in place to correct police misconduct doesn't work. Period. Philando Castile was following police instructions and was shot multiple times in front of his fiancee and their baby. That's terrible and it's easily a sticking point from an emotional perspective, but let's look at what happened as logically as possible. Castile's shooting was wrong. Wrong things happen all of the time, though, as much as that sucks. But what corrective action was taken to make sure that, if Castile was still alive and pulled over today, he would not be shot this time? Nothing. That's a really serious problem. It's not the mistakes nor the bad things bad cops do, it's the fact that there is never any fucking corrective action executed to stop it from happening again, and so it happens again, of course. It means that the courts, which are the safety system against bad police, are bad. The US's court system needs to be totally scrapped.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

...in an open carry state. After they killed him, they found him in (lawful) possession of two pellet guns he used for his job, neither of which was on his person.

The cop, meanwhile, had a gun with "You're Fucked" etched into the side.

I think one of the major reasons why cops are so quick to escalate to violence in situations like these is there's so little accountability when they do, that it's senseless for them to NOT open fire at the first sign of trouble. We consider cops heroes because they risk their lives to preserve public safety. Here we have a cop who DIDN'T risk his life, because he decided to shoot the man they were arresting at the first hint that he might be in any personal danger. That doesn't seem consistent with "serve and protect," and risking one's life to preserve public safety.

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Too many police think they are at war with civilians.

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

5. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Interestingly enough, I just found out that the Sgt. Langley is the individual in the video shouting the orders we're hearing, not Brailsford who shot. And he's since then just retired and been out of the spotlight instead of being accountable for his involvement in the situation. Really shitty to find this out.

cwhitey2 and Hollowway like this.
  6. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Our poor country really needs some restructuring. This is out of hand.