Cutting, Glue and Pickguards

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by MechyKola, Jul 11, 2016.

1. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

sup guys

I had an ibanez gio rg, but the neck warped. I figured I'd make use of it and make a new neck. Since I was making a new neck I decided to customize it as much as I could. Th original guitar is a grx 70. I plan on changing:
    headstock: ibanez standard 6 string -> caparison dellinger ripoff
    scale: 25.5 -> 27"
    frets: 22 -> 24
    bridge: cheap tremolo -> cheap floyd rose fixed in place with wood (for tuning stability)
    radius: ??? -> flat
    fretboard material: rosewood -> birdseye maple
    pickguard: none -> 3ply blue
    I've started most of the stuff and I am making this in my school's engineering/product design department. My main questions are:
    what glue to use for fret board and angled headstock etc?
    what finish to give the neck? nitro seems a tad dangerous and I can't find poly. Should I just leave it unfinished?

thanks guys!!:cool:

2. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

tightbond I works great.
    I've used the LMII luthiers glue but I found it tacked up immediately and made it difficult to align pieces...

for finish. apply a tung oil finish like tru-oil. its easy to apply and gives a nice feeling finish when done.

3. MechyKola

MechyKola SS.org Regular

Thanks. will something like epoxy work? another thing I wanted to ask about was how to cut the pickguard? at school we have routers, CNC machines and a couple lazer cutters, as well as a bandsaw.