Customers are dumb and horrible human beings...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by soliloquy, Jun 26, 2011.

1. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

sure, there are exceptions to everything. and i know i will get heat for this, but whatever....

i work for a company that isn't really liked by a LOT of people. and its also the biggest, if not, then one of the biggest companies in the world. Wal-mart. yes.

however, i have to say, i've worked in tons of different retail places, and i haven't had any real horrible customers. if something is out, or malfunctioning, they understand, and they dont push the workers around. however, all that changed as soon as i started working for walmart some 7 or something months ago.

attitudes in people changed.
    people became assholes.
    their class dropped significantly (as in people act civilized as soon as they step out of walmart, otherwise they start behaving like trailer-trash people with no respect, dignity, nor humanity...)
    people start picking fights with everyone
    they start swearing all over the place
    they start beating up, or abandoning their kids
    they dont understand the meaning of 'excuse me' (which either means, 'look at me! i need your attention for a sec' or 'get out of my way, please' or 'dont mind me as i squeeze right between your cart and the wall' etc)

for example, today, this old guy asked me where bheutain curling iron was. since i work for meats, i wont know shit about a)hair products/beauty supplies b) seasonals/electric/propane stuff. on top of that, i didnt even know bheutain was used for curling irons as i'm only familiar with curling irons that run on electricity. however, even though i didn't know what he was talking about, i was going to help him out...until he said 'you dont know what i'm saying? its like you guys dont even give a fucking damn! fucking idiots!'. i just froze in my tracks, and staired him down, waiting for him to apologize. nothing, so i didn't bother helping him.

walmart carries millions of different items. you really expect EACH and EVERY associate to be an expert in EACH and EVERY item?

then, a few days ago, i had this lady asking for ceiling fans. i told her that our store does not carry any ceiling fans, but we have a large variety of other fans. she snapped at me, saying 'how dare walmart not carry any ceiling fans!?' and asking me questions as if i own walamart and i have any control over what shit we carry or we dont. i wanted to smack her and say 'walmart doesn't carry a LOT of shit such as dildos, alcohol, cigarets, petrol/gas, solar panels, cars etc...) but i kept my cool. she they asked if we have any in the back. i replied by saying 'we dont keep anything in the back. what we have on the floor is all we have. then she snapped again saying 'dont tell me how this business works! i have my own business!' to which i wanted to reply back by saying 'really? so you have a few billion dollars in profits every day? you have your stores open world wide? you have a business that is one of the biggest companies in the world? and do you know what "just-in-time-inventory" is?' but i didnt...she just kept bitching at me, swearing at me as if i am sam walton...

then some old lady asked if the said price of bread-crumbs was the actual price for it. i said 'if thats what the tag says, then yes, but i'll double check the price'. she snapped at me and started cursing me to hell as its a penny more expensive than our competition, and even that is too expensive, and how dare I rip her off, because she is an old lady and blah blah blah...again, i work FOR walmart. i make a fair amount above minimum, but nothing to brag about...do i have any control over it? i said she can do price match, and again, its 'my' fault as prices aren't reduced as is...

then another man asked if we have some sort of bread that we normally carry from time to time. i looked in the back, asked the people who work in bakery, and came back saying 'we dont, sorry'. he said we all are horrible employees as we aren't doing our jobs. i'm sorry we usually sell at a MUCH faster rate than what our shippers and manufacturers can make/provide them. so even if we do have em on order, we are at their mercy.

and today, for example, some squirrel chewed through some electric wires that resulted in a blackout for about 8 blocks in our city. that resulted in our fridges and freezers going weird, so we had to put a lot of things in the back so they wont spoil. someone got pissed at that coz apparently we are supposed to let food rot, and let people buy that shit....okay.

i'm thinking customers think walmart associates have the city key, and they have the key to cure cancers, world hunger, war, etc, but we choose not to do so....

however, i have to say, that the difference between walmarts in canada, and walmarts in america is almost night and day. the workers in america are HORRIBLE with customer service. i ask them if they have something in stock somewhere, to which they often reply back by saying 'umm...i dont know' and walk away. in canada, people usually leave their posts, and go help them find whatever they are looking for, IF we have it

at the same time, i have to say that walmart workers are called 'associates' which really makes me militant at the store, as if you call me an associate, and not an employee, or worker, you give me more or less the same authority as the managers, but for much less pay....but either way....

2. Hemi-Powered Drone

Hemi-Powered Drone Dragonblade629

3. eegor

eegor Theoretical Reality

It always amazes me how unintelligent some people are. Props to you for not going apeshit on everyone after all that. I probably would've lost my cool almost immediately. I guess that's why I don't work in retail.

4. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I can't leave a Wal-Mart until I've disrespected half of the employees and murdered at least three people. It's just human nature.

5. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Dang that sounds brutal dude.. I hate when people get the mentality that they can be dicks to people in the service industry.

6. Khaine88

Khaine88 SS.org's Welsh Guy>

Porth, Rhondda Cynon Taff, South Wales, UK
    I know exactly how you feel dude, I used to work in a Pub (Bar whatever Americans/Canadians call it ><) and I just cant stand listening to people complain about stuff like the food being undercooked blaming me as if I'm the chef and I was a god damned waiter as if I know what the hell was happening with the food >_> etc. I almost snapped a good few times, I always used to stick metal on on the juke box mind, so that the old people on a Sunday morning could get fucking stuffed and stop complaining to me.Thats why I suppose its better I'm in the Job I am because I dont have to deal with customers etc, just get on with engineering :agreed:

7. Nonservium

Nonservium ss.org Irregular

I worked for Wal-Mart back in the late 90's for about 3 months. It was one of the worst job experiences I've ever had, only topped by Blockbuster video mind you. The people were just unbearable. The best part of the job was scamming the deli for lunch and trolling the store with the intercoms. After I had quit, I went to pick a buddy up from work while his car was in the shop and used the intercom to burp loud as fuck over the whole store. It won't get any better working there, it starts at a low point and goes further than you realized it could. You should probably move on as quick as possible.

8. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Customers are fucking assholes.

I had some shit at McDonalds...fuck. Small town though, so it was more dicks pulling pranks than assholes being assholey.

Also:
    I was buying Condoms at the Superstore the other day and they had a vibrator in stock. If a grocery store is selling a vibrator why doesn't Walmart have Dildos!?!?!

9. jack10110

jack10110 SS.org Regular

I almost got fired when this Chinese bitch asked me where some obscure product was, I couldn't understand a fucking word she was saying so I told her to ask at customer services because I was on my break. She proceeded to complain to the manager telling them how rude I was etc etc. People are dicks.

10. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

What do you think makes the super store so super? :lol:

11. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

12. shredguitar7

shredguitar7 SS.org Regular

at least all they do is bitch you out man, i feel for you, but where i work ( hospital ) they dont just freak out on you, they fling poo.... no lie, hit my cheek, washed it off, went back to work.. and i think, why the fuck do i do this. oh yea, cuz i make 18 an hour and i didnt go to college..

13. Treeunit212

Treeunit212 Not your bro, bro.

working at a grocery store full time, I know this fact all too well.

Good thing people rarely turn around after we say the mandatory have a nice day, or they'd see something like this...

:flame: :realmad: :mad: :scream: :fawk: :wallbash: :evil:

14. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

People always amaze me. I worked in retail for a few years while in college and will never go back to retail. People flip out over the dumbest things as if the stores put their orders through just for them and them only. They seem to think making a scene works in their favor, when they're really making an ass out of themselves. If only they realized how different the outcome would be if they changed their attitude.

15. DevinShidaker

DevinShidaker ss.org Addict

You have to understand that most people absolutely DESPISE going into Walmart. Most people have a hard time finding exactly what it is they are looking for, because sometimes it's in the most absolutely obscure spot in the store. Most people are too proud to ask for help until they have been looking unsuccessfully for too long, and by that point, their frustrations are about at their peak, so when they aren't given the help that they feel they deserve, they are irrational assholes. That isn't your fault and you shouldn't have to deal with it, but putting yourself in their shoes makes it a lot easier to handle. Just be glad you don't work at the customer service counter... they have it much worse than you do.

16. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

The answer to all of your problems:

[​IMG]

17. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

I really follow your newfound hatred for grocery-shoppers/walmarteers. :squint:
    I work at one of the bigger grocery store chains as a cashier in a suburban area, and I've had my fair share of morons.
    Prelude: We use a money-less system, so coins goes into a coin hopper and bills are given to me. (Taken into context with case 2 and 3)

Some time ago, a really bitchy woman came up to me and asked me to yell through my microphone that someone had parked in front of her car on the handicap parking lot (she wasn't handicapped at all, and it was so obvious), and that he should move. I tell her gently that A) we don't eve use microphones because the shop is so small, and B) the dude who parked his car is right behind her. Both was true. They then end up in a shop-wide disrupting verbal fight, it literally stopped the whole shop for 15 minutes, while she flinged threats at the poor dude (who actually was in a wheelchair with his two kids right next to him), with him being calm and shit. Not something directed against me, but still fucked.

Next one though is gruesome. Our legislation system went down earlier this week, so we'd completely shut it down for the day. Then, 20 minutes before we close a second generation immigrant enters the store with two empty beer bottle and a thick accent, and asks me why it's down. I give him a sensible explanation, and he demands to see my boss. She only works during the day, never after 16, so I call on the one who's in charge. He just mysteriously disappears before he arrives, and when my co-worker arrived, I told him the situation, and just had to call on him again. Then hell broke loose, as the man came back, and directly wanted change for the cans and went full retard to put it mildly. He was completely rude, blocked our entire system for a well 10 minutes and blocked the customer passage when I had to take our items in from outside the entrance. He later REFUSED to recieve money for the cans, and demanded a taxi-drive to the capital. Which costs 200$, compared to the cans value of 0.2$. He just acted like a complete dick towards everyone, and I swear to god, I would've banned his ass so hard (yes, we can do that)!

Last one is just rude. A couple of months ago, during closing time again, this man in the middle 50's enters the store, goes through the customer passage instead of the normal entrance, while doing a hugely demotivational, threating glare towards me, while I was just sitting behind the desk, taking care of a customer. When he returned, several of my co-workers parents were standing right next by. When he was going to pay, he finds his money, and tries to hand me them. I tell him in a quiet and friendly, yet annoyed manner, that we are using a coin hopper, and that he should just dump the coins in there. He then proceeds to pick out the coins one by one from his hand, place them as loudly as possible on the steel counter, and say that he is a customer in my store, and that I should follow HIS directions if I wanted to have a sale, because he was from out of town, and then proclaims this is the worst customer service he has ever recieved, and threatens me. EVERYBODY was stunned, because they know I'm normally really good with customers, but that dude was a dick.

I could also go on a full-on rant about some of the customers personal hygiene level and Polish immigrant workers, but I'd just let these two statements ring out:
    "Beresnikov vodka" and "reeks of yeast infection and horse". One is a 'sentence', the other is a condition. :ugh:

18. AySay

AySay Banned

Yo...

butane.

Grand Moff Tim likes this.
  19. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

That must have been hillarious in danish:D

And to OP, watch this, then substitute "Frank" for "customer". You'll feel better right away:yesway:

20. toiletstand

toiletstand /\'...'/\

cant stand the customers at walmart. i die a little on the inside each time i go.