Custom Shop 7 String or Engl SE

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Genotype, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Genotype

Genotype SS.org Regular

Greetings all, :hbang:

To try keep things short as possible , I recently bought a PBII which is yet to arrive.

Now, last week I received a Music Man Majesty 7 sting in the mail but did not like the positioning of the strings offset on the fretboard.

I now have a store credit of $5299.

Seeing as blind buying expensive guitars can be hit and miss, I've opened up a few other options for myself.:yesway:

Here are my three choices.

Engl Special Edition E670 $6299 means I will have to pay the difference of $1099.

Or

Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 FR and Engl Invader II no additional costs.:metal:

Or

New 7 string with a value no higher that 6k ($4595 US)

The Special Edition E670 looks to be the only head I would ever need and I could sell the Powerball II as new.

I have 4 other guitars but this was to be my first 7's :metal:

Would the upgrade to the E670 be the right decision here and a 7 string much later on? :scratch:

Any suggested 7 string blind buys for me to take into consideration?

The store stocks, Music Man, ESP, Jackson, Ibanez, Schecter, B.C, PRS.

Thanks for any suggestions! :wavey:

2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I know Australian prices are nuts, but damn, those prices are nuts. I'd probably buy something that isn't so imbalanced with respect to the international market place -- Engl SEs are typically around $2400 USD used, just seems like a terrible option to pay double that, though I can confirm that the amp's pretty good.

fwiw, the invader probably complements the powerball more than the SE does.

3. Genotype

Genotype SS.org Regular

Dude, every time I look at USD prices on equipment It gets a bit depressing :ugh: I try not to compare anymore because I work in a job where It's not unusual to get an injury every day 'small violin plays in the background' ;)

Your comment makes perfect sense to me how they compliment eachother! :yesway:

I actually really like all the demos of the Invader II and wanted it for MIDI+ capabilities as well. What about a Sterling JP170D String + Invader II?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterlin...-Signature-Deluxe-7-String-Electric-Guitar.gc

4. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

A cheap guitar with an good fret job will play as well as the most expensive customs. Finding the right amp can be harder.

5. Genotype

Genotype SS.org Regular

Agreed 100 percent!:yesway:

Unfortunately due to my isolated desert town I can only purchase guitars based on my personal preferences or recommendations.

I've never had a bad blind buy from Schecter or BC Rich which is more than I can say for brands like Gibson, ESP, Ibanez and now MM.

Although the Music Man was like holding a holy grail of craftsmanship, all it needed was inlays made from unicorn horn to make it celestial. ;)

Would love to find a MM neck and action that fits well with me.

6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I can agree to that. I have guitars that cost me a few hundred euros used (obscure models) to ones that cost several thousand and while there are obviously quality differences, the expensive ones don't necessarily sound or play better after I've setup them, they're just different.

Those Australian prices are completely ridiculous though. I'd probably wait until you get the Powerball and see if that works out for you. If not, use the store credit to buy an amp that does.

For a 7 string I'd look into for example Ormsby guitars since they're Australian. That multiscale makes a huge differences for more than 6 strings.

7. Genotype

Genotype SS.org Regular

Great advice thanks man, the store does stock Ormsby, I don't know much about them, I will def check them out :yesway:

I had an email from the store last night saying they are willing to bring in Dean, Washburn or other brands as well dependant on availability. Wish I could fly to the store and check some guitars out.

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

In that case I would look no further. Just check their Facebook page or NGD threads on this forum, they do absolutely gorgeous work.

9. Jaek-Chi

Jaek-Chi SS.org Regular

Greetings fellow West Australian!

I'd go the Invader and Schecter, and then flog the PBII off. Then, if you dont like the schecter enough, flog that off as well and buy something more expensive from the money of the PBII and Schecter.

10. Genotype

Genotype SS.org Regular

Hey brother!

I like this idea.

What do you think of getting the Invader II and this guitar here?

http://www.guitarfactory.com.au/Gui.../pre-owned-jackson-usa-soloist-sl2h-quilt-top

Can't go wrong with the Schecter so far though, i've blind bought a few Schecters and love them all.

11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

The Engl SE is a beast, but like all amps you might just not like it. That price is ridiculous though.
    Since you live in australia, an Ormsby/other local brand/luthier might be easier to get for a decent price.

12. Jaek-Chi

Jaek-Chi SS.org Regular

Can't see the link, but you'll have no dramas with an SL2H! I love schecters too but the necks are on the chunky side. The Jackson necks are a little thinner but still have a nice round shape.

13. Jaek-Chi

Jaek-Chi SS.org Regular

Yeah agreed mate ;D

Get a Searls dude! His work is astonishing, i have my third on the way! Chuck me a PM if you got any questions dude :)

14. Genotype

Genotype SS.org Regular

Man, i've never seen these before! they look awesome! too bad my cash is tied up already. I'm definitely going to look into getting one of these babies!

will PM you man!