Cubase - MIDI Timing Issues

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by TheDrumEquation, Jun 12, 2015.

1. TheDrumEquation

TheDrumEquation SS.org Regular

I'm trying to write some MIDI in Cubase (I am not usually a MIDI controller). But I am having issues with timing. I have the MIDI quantized to the grid, but there is some lag, and when I try to do quick hits with the MIDI, you can really hear the timing issues.

Anyone having similar issues? Any suggestions?

2. illimmigrant

illimmigrant A Different Logic

Have you checked your buffer size? Try making it as small as it will go. Also try bypassing or removing you vst plugins to see if that helps. As soon as you start introducing effects, you will begin to notice latency from the time you hit your key to the time the sound plays back. This is due to the time it takes for the sample to get processed through the plugins. I don't think there's a way around this one.

3. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Yeah, if it's a consistent lag, it's your audio buffer size (not MIDI, might not even be Cubase IIRC -- I think it's in your playback devices settings) -- shrink it as far as it will go, and the lag will become inaudible.

4. TheDrumEquation

TheDrumEquation SS.org Regular

I usually bounce down a mix of the guitar, drums, and bass. and have a seperate project where I write and incorporate the strings and other synths, and then bounce that down and insert it back into the original project, so it is under the same mix buss and all that.