Crunchlab discolouration

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by morbider, Jun 17, 2012.

1. morbider

morbider O.o

So I was changing the strings on my JPXI earlier, and noticed that the rail was discoloured on the crunchlab where the gaps in the strings would be. The same thing is also happening on my other guitars with the crunchlab installed. It's proven quite hard to get a decent picture of it across the guitars. Hopefully you can see it in the pictures where I haven't circled it.

Now I am wondering is there anything I can do to fix this? Or prevent my naturally corrosive hands from doing this? Obviously wiping the guitar down after each use is a good way to prevent this, but I do that anyway, maybe I just haven't been thorough enough?

It's quite annoying for this to happen on a guitar that's not too old. I expected some wear and tear on the other two as they have been used heavily/gigged. But, these things happen. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

dead skin and sweat from your hands, i'm guessing?

3. morbider

morbider O.o

The sweat will be what's causing the chrome plating or whatever it is to come off, but I just wanna know if there's anything I can do to sort it out :lol:

4. idunno

idunno SS.org Regular

a little metal polish on a rag should do ya fine. if not then hit it with 2000 grit paper first than dremel some polish on ther, look shiny as hell. but itll come back..

OR

You can force patina the whole damn thing with a little white vinnegar on a paper towel. wipe on wait...wipe off...repeat till a smooth gray color comes about. that will protect it and look more even.

OR

Do nothing, its not gunna look new forever, might be better off just accepting it now haha

5. Hybrid138

Hybrid138 SS.org Regular

I'm glad mine has the black bar. I hope you find a solution man. I would think since it's an oxidation kind of thing it'll keep coming back unless you baby it.