Cross-picking

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by distressed_romeo, Dec 23, 2005.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Has anyone really worked at one-note-per-string alternate picking, a la Steve Morse? Currently practicing that at the moment as it's always been a major weakness for me. Improving, but not as controlled as I'd like yet. Anyone with advice/encouragement/abuse?

2. Nik

Nik Arrogant asshole

Good luck, cause it's hard as hell.

The great John Petrucci ventured into this territory with the Glass Prison intro solo, but it's so hard to play he just sweeps it live.

I don't think there's a whole lot of advice you can absorb, other than the classic "play slow and clean w/metronome and speed up" and be patient.

Good luck!

Oh, and Tumeni Notes rocks...

3. chris9

chris9 SS.org Regular

yeah this picking style is really hard it has took me 3 years to master it now i do it without thinking so just take it slow i took a basic 5 string arpeggio played it for 5 minutes then stop for 2 mins then another 5 and so on till you get sick of it then same again the next day this really sucks but it worth the hard work.Then you can get into skipping 3,4 and even 5 strings that sounds mental. I did a lick using 5 string skips in my 9 string demo its around 2.47 on the track its on the juke box now its called (dark days).
    hope this is a help i,m not very good at explaning stuff!!!!!

4. distressed_romeo

Cheers guys...sounds like what I'm already doing. I've found this with pretty much all techniques; there's no Holy Grail that'll let you master it immediately. You just have to work your ass off...such is life.

5. distressed_romeo

Oh, and Tumeni Notes does indeed rock... :hbang: