Critiques on my 80s inspired track!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by feilong29, Sep 14, 2017.

1. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

IGC, vansinn, schwiz and 1 other person like this.
  2. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I guess with no replies, it was that bad? :facepalm:

3. IGC

IGC OCDG

I enjoyed your tune :yesway:

4. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Thanks! I still have much work to do regarding routing and mixing, but I'm slowly getting there.

IGC likes this.
  5. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Very cool, both the composition, rhythm changes, and the lead; me digs :agreed:

One note: I find the transition at 0:53/54 could sound like two recordings mixed-in end-to-end.
    The result of the transition is just fine - an interesting change.

I can't judge the sound quality as I only have some cheap plugs available, so been checking the concept and musicality.
    Had I had good audio, it's possible I would've found the lead a Bit thin in tone, but again, I'm on puny ear plugs, so.. ;)

6. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Thanks so much for the feedback! If you get a chance and have some better audio, let me know what you think and what I can work on! I try to use the same patch as the rhythm plus reverb or delay, but, I have trouble making it stand out, but not be overly loud in the mix. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :eddie:

7. IGC

IGC OCDG

I only listened on my tablet, but it sounded pretty good still, IMO.
    Definitely got a good 80's vibe going on. I really like the guitar hadmonies, something Iv gotten into within the last decade, they are addictive!
    Going for any comparison, like Skid Row , Poison?

8. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Thanks or the feedback! I always loved dual guitar harmonies, so I was getting my feet wet with this track. I need to tighten up my playing. I was also told I have an Iron Maiden-kind-of-sound.

IGC likes this.
  9. IGC

IGC OCDG

No problem, allways interesting to hear what people are mixing together on here. It is a fun thing to experiment around with trying different harmonies, in the mix!
    I think your playing is fine. But dont let my opinion stop you from working to be a sharper player. That's the majic thing about multi track DAWing, get the best takes and mix them together, one track will kind of smooth out where you were a little off on the other track.
    Yeah deffinitely can hear some maiden influence:yesway:

10. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Maybe this is no secret, but for me to keep my timing the best as possible, I mute the left track when recording the right. I find it easier to keep in time when I'm not trying to play along to myself. I feel I have improved dramatically with my mixing, but, the harsher frequencies still keep my mix from sounding as smooth as I want it to, and FL Studio isn't the best for that, haha.

IGC likes this.
  11. IGC

IGC OCDG

Agreed, I think the drum track is the only thing I'v recorded to for timing purposes and the other tracks are muted. Its nice to be able to focus on what yoir trying to play and too much gioing on at once can mke that hard to hear.
    If there are harsh frequencies maybe check into clipping tecniques in your mix. Still something I have yet to master.

12. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Clipping...I'll look into that! The one thing I've started to do was to do a sweep and find those nasty, echoey freqs and pull them out, so that has improved my sound. Next time, I'll really take my time and route my drums and mix those appropriately.

13. IGC

IGC OCDG

Not hearing any clipping on my end though. I just listened again with my 808 headphones and I thought it sounded quite fantastic, mix and playing! If there were any imperfections, playing wise, then I believe little things like that sort of add authenticity to the song. :yesway:

Do you mean echoey frequencies in the sweep picking you did in the solo part? Sounded pretty clean for the most part here. Also am I hearing a little COB influence in there?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  14. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Haha, I was an Alexi fanboy for YEARS! I owned several sigs but always got rid of them, then decided to move on.

When I said "echoey" it was while listening to the track and playing with the EQ in the mid-high range. There was some high-pitch pinging going on at certain frequencies that I tried to get rid of. But I trust your ear though. Man, that means I have really come a long way, and I have also used some better patches for my rhythm and lead tones.

Again, I truly appreciate the feedback and kind words. I am excited to throw some more tunes together. I actually have another song I might throw on here later for you all to check out.

15. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

And just for you all to check out if you want, a few of my most recent tracks:

This is just some generic track I threw together; I'm most proud of my vibrato in the solo later in the track haha.
    https://soundcloud.com/berial-feilong29/marron-bombon

This short song is my trial to compose an anime-styled outro
    https://soundcloud.com/berial-feilong29/tailspin

And this one is just a heavy metal instrumental that I was inspired to write after listening to this YouTube guitarist, Adrian Grizzly
    https://soundcloud.com/berial-feilong29/blistex

IGC likes this.
  16. IGC

IGC OCDG

Ditto on the Alexi fanboy for years, never got any sigs, but yeah I can relate! Definitely recognise it in your playing.
    I allways thought they had that 80's hair/ shred/ neoclassicalish thing going on with some their soloing, yet different in ways...
    Yeah I didnt readily notice any higgh pitched pinging noises, listened to it over a good three-four times.
    Yeah man post us some more stuff I will have a listen:yesway:

17. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Hey definitely molded my sound very early on, considering COB was the first metal band I ever heard of.

I posted some stuff in the post before yours. Thanks again for taking the time to check out my stuff!

18. IGC

IGC OCDG

Actually I hear probably more COB influence in your stuff than maiden. I would say thats what I like best about the first tune.
    I had a listen to your other three mixes, IMO the third one has the best mix quality and is a good foundation for other ideas you might have. But they were all pretty cool.
    Back in the day when I was like 26? COB were touring with Lamb for the Ashes Tour. COB were just hanging out in the smaller venues crowd by the bar. I got a chance to meet them, they are cool guys. Drummer and the bassist are tall dudes, wouldnt want to rumble with them.

19. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

I won't be able to listen on studio gear for several month, so..
    Having read the other guyz feedback, I think you can safely disregard my comments on the lead being a Bit thin; likely my crap ear plugs playing-in. If any thinness, it's just your choice of guitar/rig tone; nothing to do with mix/mastering. Me still likes; good job!
    And yes, definitely Iron Maiden inspired, which is not at all a bad thing ;)

20. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

The leads were a bit of trouble to get to sit right; but it works for now! I can't believe I didn't post my favorite track I've written so far. If you all have a moment, check out this one too and let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/berial-feilong29/gravity-groove-v2

IGC likes this.