Critique this mix...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Vince, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Vince

Vince Contributor

Ok, we're getting closer to finishing the album. Drums, Rhythm Guitars, and 90% of the bass are done. Some synths have been laid down, and we begin the lead guitars and vocals in about 2 weeks.

So, I've been spending my time recently mixing the hell out of this stuff. I think I have a pretty good mix here, but I want you guys to be the judge because I respect your opinions on this site above just about anyone's. Some of you guys have heard earlier mixes of this one, and now we're at about a critical mass point where this is probably the sound we're going with for the album, so I want to see if there's anything else in there I missed before I apply this mix template to the other 10 songs on the disc.

Now this is a pre-master, so it's not going to be as loud and finalized as a mastered song, but hopefully you can get the gist for what we're going for. Once again, no leads or vocals on this yet, but the other instruments are there.

So tell me what you like, what you don't like, and anything that maybe sticks out at you. Thanks guys.

Original clip:
    http://www.vincelupone.com/mp3/THEASYLUM_NCScompmix.mp3 (11 Mb)

Updated clip using BCrowell's feedback from this thread:
    http://www.vincelupone.com/mp3/THEASYLUM_NCScompmix2.mp3 (11 Mb)

2. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

Sounds good vince i can't get a real proper listen to it right now but the snare seems a lil high in the mix and the whole mix need maybe a little more meat to it, when i get a better listen ill let ya knwo but it sounds really good so far :hbang:

3. David

David je t'aime Contributor

good god. teach me. I'm agains't lessons, and other's input... but good god, teach me.:eek:

Sounds fuckin awesome man.:) I think the "more meat" that jason's talking about is the lead guitars, which you haven't put in yet. Other than that, I dunno, it's perfect.:metal:

4. guitarjitsumaster

guitarjitsumaster seven times seven

Do I hear some Solid State awesomeness in there? I think there could be a little more lower mids in the rythem guitar but thats probably because you havent added the leads yet. You know the "meat" that was alluded to earlier. Otherwise its sheer perfection. I like the hot snare personally.

5. BCrowell

BCrowell Cubicle Dweller Contributor

Bass:
    The first thing that popped in my head was the bass (the low end of it) seemed to be too low. The mid range, like during the solo sounded good, but overall it sounded THIN, instead of nice and thick. The kick drum seemed to over-ride it at times. (BTW, I looove doubling the bass, like we do on guitars also makes for a kick arse sound...especially if it's too seperate takes!!)

Guitars:
    As always the guitars sounded perfect...don't change a thing there. Once again your KING for a reason. Damn fine sound/tone/playing/etc...

Drums:
    I thought the snare was fine when listening on my studio monitors, but in the head phones it did seem to stick out a little. The kick should support the bass, but seems to be above it. The toms are a little bit low. Cymbols...uh more please!! The high-hat was ok, but dulled. The splash & rides were a bit hard to really hear.

OVERALL: Sounded very good...just a few more tweeks and your there. More low end on the bass, and a little less kick. A little more cymbols and toms, with a little less snare, and the drums will rock!!:yesway:

6. Vince

Vince Contributor

Brian, great feedback bud!

About the kick, here's the odd thing as far as freqencies go, if I lower the kick even 1 dB from where it is, I lose it under the bass guitar. I like a big thick kick drum that as Chris says "hits you in the chest" when listening.

I took to heart what you said about the bass guitar & the cymbals. You said the cymbals sounded dull, so I increased the presence on them a bit. I run the bass guitar & bass drum into a sidechain Waves maxx bass preset, and that controls the low end of the mix, then I have a separate bus for the normal, uneffected bass guitar sound. I upped that sound a few dBs, and added some presence to the bass guitar.

I uploaded a new file with your ideas, and I think it sounds a bit better than the first one, you tell me:

http://www.vincelupone.com/mp3/THEASYLUM_NCScompmix2.mp3 (11 Mb)

Oh and David, what do you want to learn? You said teach me, but what, mix? Rhythm guitar? Come on man, be more specific! :D Not just that, we have some top notch experts on this forum. IIRC Eleven59 is in a sound engineering school, and Ken & Chris are freaking rhythm guitar gods. Whatever I can't help you with, I'm sure those guys will throw in their $ .02 too. :yesway:

7. shredfreak

shredfreak SS.org Regular

Sounds great, the only thing that bothers me a bit are the synths in the intro. Might be personal taste though but i don't think it adds anything to it at that volume (apart from the little tweep at the end). Might want to turn it up a little in the mix or let it fade in or even let it rotate between left and right speakers.

8. BCrowell

BCrowell Cubicle Dweller Contributor

Oh hell yeah!! That last mix was MUCH improved...hell it's perfect.

The bass is thick, and sounds right in line with kick. Now I feel the punch of the kick & the bass push on through. Maxx bass is a great tool, used subtly as you've done.

Now the drums are sounding very alive, with the cymbols crisp but not overbearing. Just curious, what mic setup did ya'll use? Did you have mics on everything, or just kick/snare/overheads?

I thought the FX/keys throughout are perfect, and really add to the character of the tune.

GREAT changes! I can't wait for Vox & Lead guitars....:bowdown:

9. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

That 2nd mix is sounding tight! Quick question...are the rhythm guitars dry, or do I detect a hint of chorus?

10. TheReal7

TheReal7 Mr. Melody Contributor

Put a side chain compressor on the bass triggered by the kick. this will allow them to blend more and you'll be alble to bring up the bass and not lose the kick. Over all I would like to her more bass and bottom end. Guitars are fine and maybe add a little 200-300 on the snare to beef it up a bit :) I found the toms to all be rather thin sounding. Not much beef in em. Could just be my personal taste too. Overall sounding awesome but not 'there' yet.

11. DSS3

DSS3 Banned

It might just be me, but I'm getting some ear fatique listening to the 2nd mix, and a touch on the first... sounds really scooped, like theres too much pressure on my ears.

Also, the reverb on the snare is pretty wicked, but I'd lower it a bit.

12. Vince

Vince Contributor

being even pickier, do you guys have any more comments about the guitar sound? I don't know if I'm even sold on it yet, and would love some additional feedback. Does it work? Does it sound good? Does it sound heavy enough?

13. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    1) You can't hear the synths, they may as well not be there unfortunately.

2) I'd trigger the kicks a little on the fast part, they get lost and kind of bleed into each other, kind of a case of faster kicks equalling lighter touch. They just don't have enough "kick" to them for want of a better word at that point, and just sound like a low rumble with no definition. Kind of loses the power a bit. possibly find a kick sample and meticolously replace all the kicks in parts like that, just so the whole thing sounds less rumbly?

Otherwise cool :)