craving single coils for metal.....am i crazy?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Feb 6, 2018.

1. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

You may fall in love with the sound, but they can also feel odd if you are used to using humbuckers. Why not coil split the pickups you have now to try it out?

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Im actually going to do that whilst I wait for the order to arrive as I was quoted 2-3 months min order time as a custom order direct from EMG to the UK via a UK retailer so i avoid customs etc.

:)

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I just scored a brilliant deal off Evilbay from California.

I won an auction on an used white EMG H with full wiring kit and original box for £42 incl delivery AND Import tax. Due between the 27th of this month and the 10th of March!
    ($60ish)

Dcm81 and Kyle Jordan like this.
  4. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

i love singles for metal stuff, especially for really slow sludgy stuff.

But if you like singles, don't forget P90's. I've really taken a liking to P90's. like a happy medium.

lewis likes this.
  5. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

would love to try the War Pig P90 bet it sounds super cool.

lewis likes this.
  6. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Yes and you can find some P90's in a stacked hum cancelling configuration by Dimarzio & Seymour Duncan. Same voicing, just without the noise.
    I have a friend who had a local winder make him a T-90, basically a P90 in a Tele Bridge pickup config, and it kills!

Zoobiedood and lewis like this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I would love to try some p90s once i get my single coil guitar sorted.
    I imagine a quad tracked tone of single coil and p90 blended would be immense.

8. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

The EMG SX is my favorite EMG for this reason. I find it much easier to use an EQ before the amp to boost the signal, add specific mids, and control the treble of a single coil over starting with a humbucker and then adding treble, and controlling the mids, lows, and signal strength. One of the reasons I love the EMG 60X is because it sounds like a great humbucker and great single coil hybrid.

The main reason I'm planning on buying the Abasi Fluence set is the single coil voice. And being wholly and completely honest, I've found myself every couple of months or so pondering the idea of abandoning my 8 string, switching to two or three 6 strings in various tunings, and simply writing differently since I basically don't play out and have no plans to even with any new music I write. The chief reason being the far greater number of options available for 6 strings, pickups being the main one.

Three neck thru guitars with Evertunes and recessed pickguards that I can swap on the fly appeal to me. Greatly.

So no, you're not crazy for wanting to try singles. I hope the H works out well for you.

lewis likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thanks for sharing!.
    Im hoping the regular H that I won in an auction, has enough twang for my tastes. The X series always seem snappier vs the regulars in tone comparisons to my ears. But still it was a good deal so jumped on it.

I think thats my issue with tone chasing all these years with humbuckers, i.e it seems harder to dial out the natural sound of a humbucker and add flavours/eq that get it closer to the sound in your head, which in this case for me, is a single coil. And of course, you just cant do it.

Its like craving the tone of an active, and spending years trying to get passives to give you that and ultimately failing.

I would rather start with the sound I want, and then can add things to make it sound closer to something else, rather than the opposite which is what Im hoping trying single coils remedies for me.

The SAx sounds absolutely amazing on demos.
    Im going to be 100% trying to find the HAX for my guitar too when I have funds. (then thanks to quick connect I will try the H and the HAX in both positions to see which one I prefer in bridge the most)

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  10. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Shout out to Lewis as I was recording some guitar tracks for a demo for my band, and there was a section that was just sounding a bit mushy with the level of gain I was using, so I thought "coil tap!" and I think it turned out pretty well:

https://soundcloud.com/prolegomena-1/band-demo-1-real-drums

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

yooooo the split sound on these sound dope. also the neck is a humbucker sized single coil :D

lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ah man!
    I used to love my Kraken 8 string. Those are beasts (re-branded Agile's)

it sounds awesome. I cant wait for my single coil pup to arrive now. Im sick of boosting high end frequencies for my humbuckers to try and make them sound single, and being left with something that not only does not really resemble a single coil tone, but is then overly thin and fizzy haha

13. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

One of my favourite lead sounds is using a middle position single coil with the inner coil of a neck humbucker. I guess it would be position 4 on something like an Ibanez Universe? It sounds all plonky and with the right gain it can make some really interesting tones.

lewis likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The white EMG H turned up and it sounds unreal. And thats with old strings.
    This decision was completely justifed. The single coil sound is for me!.
    I really like it.

15. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Nice! EMG Single Coils don't get enough love as far as I'm concerned. Too much cork-sniffery to contend with I guess.

Noisy Humbucker and lewis like this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I agree /\
    everyone gets so wrapped up in the next best thing, they forget to appreciate whats come before. In many cases, just pointlessly hate on anything that isnt the next best thing.
    I.e "Fishmans are great, EMGs suck"

Im thinking of pairing it with a 60 in the neck

17. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

My Nash 57 strats got some Lollar singles and man they sound unreal through high gain amps! The bridge pickup is nasty.

18. DaZoner

DaZoner SS.org Regular

Single coils are totally awesome for metal. You'll probably need a noise gate though. I just installed a set of the new boot camp brute force pickups from bare knuckle in my tele. They sound awesome and are versatile.
    What's nice is you get a nice twang which sounds awesome when you start to tune lower.
    But this is all subjective of course!

lewis likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

decided to grab a bkp stockholm hp90 for shits and giggles.

lewis likes this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Will await feedback (review not..well you know haha)