craving single coils for metal.....am i crazy?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Feb 6, 2018.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

love this /\ !!
    His style is a huge influence on me.

See this track I was dabbling with I wrote -

silverabyss likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

What tuning are you using dude?
    Im in Drop G# open tuning so

G#, D#, G#, C#, G#, C#

3. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Coil splitting is a must for me anymore. Whatever characteristics/benefits single-coil-ish sounds have, that tone is just tons of fun.

This is why I have an EMG 707TWX-R in my DCM100, and I love it.

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oooh pics?!

5. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

B, E, A, D, F#, B (Standard Baritone Tuning)

lewis likes this.
  6. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Ha! Would if I could but I already failed in the “pic upload” department once this week. It’s a black pickup, so basically looks stock but with the coppery red “EMG X” logo and the push-pull on the volume.

lewis likes this.
  7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I can't post of my buckskin covered Bari-Tele either, since I won't be whored out to Photobucket's "pay to post" policy after using them for 15+ years.

I will say, however, that I got some bobbin toppers from Universal Jems to cover up the black EMG's to look more traditional.

lewis likes this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Not a big fan of Strat single coils under gain. But a Tele or P90 under gain sounds amazingly monstrous.

9. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

That’s a great idea. DCM is a nice guitar and I’ll bet it rips with that single coil.

10. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Trick IMHO is just to roll off the tone knob on the bridge pickup. But I’ll also note that I have tin ears. Give me clips of an LP, Tele, P90, and Strat all playing the same riff and I probably can’t match the right guitar to the right clip.

11. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I'm all about singlecoils for rhythm playing, especially the middle position. They allow you to play more aggressively where a humbucker would just get muddy and undefined, I just tracked a new EP where I didn't use a humbucker even once.

I have EMG SA7's in my strat, they're quiet but they honestly don't sound like singlecoils. They are much flatter, less bass, more mids and more super-high highs than a passive singlecoil. It's a unique sound, nothing like a humbucker either. But I'm very happy with them when I run a graphic EQ in front of the amp, boosting 160, scooping 320 and 640, and boosting in the 2-5k area. Then they get very singlecoil-like. I have that graphic EQ locked in the first fx slot on my Kemper, so the EQ is always on regardless of the profile.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire highway to the metalzone

I really dig the elysian moderns/goliaths. I've got a set of his new hellfires headed my way pretty soon too.
    My only issue with using coil split humbuckers is that they're not exactly quiet when I use a shitload of gain. I know companies make silent single coils and such though.
    try other photo sites like postimg or flickr

13. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I have hundreds of photo's, relinking them to new host would be quite laborsome. I may go with flickr or someone else moving forward, but the pics I have all over the net via Photobucket are dead links at this point.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire highway to the metalzone

you could download your whole photobucket collection and then reupload to flickr. it's pretty easy to do, and it's what I did to keep functioning pics on a lot of my older threads.

Mathemagician likes this.
  15. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I'll have to research that. I have threads from the past 15 years that went dead due to Photobuckets new policy, and I wasn't gonna go around to all my forums & edit current links with new ones.

16. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

e: somehow I lost my timestamp between youtube and here, anyhow he plays Periphery on a tele eventually.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  17. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but would like to add my experience.

I used to have a ESP Vintage Plus strat, three single coils (BKP Sinner set) and I currently have a DiMarzio Fast Track in the neck of my baritone.
    I agree with the benefits people have said here, but would like to add that the one I didn't like about the metal tone I got from that Strat was the string separation, which lacked behind that of humbuckers.
    Single notes/strings had awesome bass presence and a cool vibe, no doubt, but string separation on complex chords was not as good as on my various humbuckers.

I would say to the OP definitely go for it, the different vibe and tone alone make it a perfectly valid approach, but just be aware that there are also reasons why humbuckers are so popular for metal.

lewis likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

insightful. Thank you

Was the lack of clarity on larger chords due to amounts of gain?. Or can I expect the same under clean tones too?

Im going to be bold and just go for it I think. Dual single coils for my main axe.
    Sounds intriguing and exciting.

19. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Thing about the Sinner and to some extent the Fast Track: those are high output pickups, which in general could be accused of a lack of clarity.

You’re experience may be very different with true single coils with more typical output.

20. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I'd really love a Tele built similarly. I want the Tele to be a Modern Player type, with a 7-string trem, locking tuners. I never use the middle pickup, so I prefer the Tele over the Strat, but I wouldn't refuse a 7-String Strat if one was given to me.