craving single coils for metal.....am i crazy?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Feb 6, 2018.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the more I listen to demos and sound clips of guys playing modern metal but with coil split pickups, the more I fall in love with that single coil twang...

am I nuts for literally wanting to replace my main guitars pickups with single coil ceramic in bridge and single coil alnico in the neck?....
    will that gig ok? haha. Obviously output will be less but Kemper has so many options in this respect it shouldnt be that much of an issue.

anyone else love love love that single coil bite/twang?!? especially for high gain/metal applications.

2. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I do, and it can be just that one distinction that sets one player apart from many others, ie; Yngwie Malmsteen, or Ritchie Blackmore.

Mathemagician and lewis like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

For ERG it makes a lot of sense to coil split or use single coils. I find with some of my 8 strings and my bass VI that there is improved clarity with coil splitting. With my bass VI it gives me this raunchy spanky sound that's perfect for karnivool esque bass lines. The only exceptions for me would be the elysian moderns in my knightro or the lithiums in my blue VM8, both of which are already very clear and punchy sounding as humbuckers. Splitting them makes them a bit too spanky for my taste. Overall I think it depends on the application because if i'm playing doom I don't want that spanky tone, but when I play more djenty/haken/karnivool esque stuff it's perfect.

ImBCRichBitch and lewis like this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

completely agree.
    Im more interested in creating my own unique style and tone that accompanies it, than I am just mimicking and sounding like everyone else.

Im about 80/20 leaning towards scrapping my plan of the humbucker replacements I was going to buy, and instead go single coil for both positions! (in humbucker housing so they fit)

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

its exactly what Im feeling.

(ive heard good things about the elysians)

but yeah my guitar would effectively have the EMG S and EMG SA as the 2 pickups (but in humbucker casings so the H and HA variants)

6. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I often use my Tele to layer with my humbucker tracks just to give those riffs a bit more "bark" in the attack if its a percussive riff. It's a nice secret weapon.

For me, my affinity for single coils came during the late 80's/early 90's RUSH material, especially "Roll The Bones".

lewis likes this.
  7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’ve seriously been thinking more and more about neck single coils recently. And to TFS’s point I grew up thinking Malmsteen was the bees knees, so i’m not opposed to bridge single coils. If you like it and can limit the feedback/noise issues some have with single coils under high gain then that’s all that matters.

lewis likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah I thought exactly that regards to layering. My bands 2nd guitarist will unlikely ever want to go this route, so at least when me and him are tracking album tones, it will be a combo of my single tone over the top of his humbucker sound.
    Probably do quad tracking.
    50/50 blend of both

Hard Left Single Coil + Humbucker
    Hard Right Single Coil + Humbucker

There is something about the gain character through singles too. You just cant get close to it at all with humbuckers.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I mean thinking more about modern "djent" tones. Gain is actually lower normally. So maybe I wont have as many noise/feedback issues as I thought.

10. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Yeah single coils definitely have a very cool quality to them when used in a metal setting. There's an extra clarity and spankiness that is definitely an interesting idea. I'm pretty sure some of the tones on Drewsif Stalin's Monkton used single coils or at least a split humbucker and the arrangement and vibe of that sound is awesome

lewis likes this.
  11. TonyFlyingSquirrel

You shouldn't have hardly any noise if you use active single coils, ala EMG's or Fishmans.

lewis likes this.
  12. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

lewis and KnightBrolaire like this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

that Jazzmaster is so siiick dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you still have it?. (I presume so? haha)
    Sounds great too.

Ive decided to pull the trigger and do it haha. At least If I dont like the bridge pickup I can replace it with my tried and true 81. Im going to keep the HA neck pickup regardless I think!.

Also, tempted to add the new solderless killswitch they are offering too.

H + HA + Killswitch \m/

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh nice!!!. Was forgetting actives are super quiet. (Why I read people complaining about noisy actives online every now and again, I dont know.. they must have wired them wrong or something) My 81 in another guitar, didnt make noise whatsoever unless I was sitting directly infront of a laptop.

15. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

This is a kick-ass metal machine:
    [​IMG]

So with single coils:
    1) think about a tone knob for at least the bridge pickup. I use one and it’s always rolled off to about 8/10 to take the zing off
    2) they can be noisy. Sometimes you can get lucky and find just the right spot to stand. Otherwise, the Illitch system and EMGs are quiet.

prlgmnr, TonyFlyingSquirrel and lewis like this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

That is absolutely stunning /\ :holy:

17. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

The low B sounds awesome. There’s this great snap/twang/snarl that really comes through when picking single notes. But it’s not all top end: single coils have great low end extension too; very deep sounding. Definitely doesn’t hit you like a humbucker, but I love the sound.

lewis likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I bet!

and I really really do myself. I bet all the times ive heard recordings where Ive fallen in love with the tone, it was actually coil split or single coil pickups on the record of the band.

19. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I really think that the character of baritone comes to the fullest life in the context of a single coil voicing. That's why I love playing my Warmoth Baritone Telecaster so much, and as much as I loved the GFS Neovins that I had in it for several years, it has come even more to life since I stuck the EMG Ceramic Tele Set in in. I think the Ceramic gives it the clarity it needs, especially for the lower tuning, and the lower tuning removes the harshness.

lewis likes this.
  20. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

John Browne of monuments has a playthrough clip on YouTube of “agarthian” by his side project Flux Conduct, and he’s using a P90 equipped PRS SE model. Tell me it doesn’t do metal!

lewis likes this.