Could you provide suggestions for my 30-second prog mix?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by DGChaos, Mar 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DGChaos

DGChaos SS.org Regular

Here's a super short intro section of a song I am working on. Would be thrilled to receive any suggestions you guys have to improve this!

https://soundcloud.com/debraj-ghose/pseudopod-test

Cheers!

2. DGChaos

DGChaos SS.org Regular

Bump! My instruments don't seem to be as clear as I would like. I am not sure if this is because it lacks high frequency information, or the instruments are interfering with each other. Any ideas on what I can do about these issues?

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Do you have some sort of background track running? It's hard to tell if there's some high-end guitar lines in the background or if they're just artifacts of what you're playing in the main riffs; as the result of delay or reverb. If there is a background track there, my ears wanted to hear it better. Actually it kind of stressed me out because I could hear some sweet harmonization going on -- but I had to strain to hear it.

If you know what I'm talking about, try to raise the volume and/or EQ some more brightness into those sounds.

Other than that, it has potential, but I couldn't really follow the direction in which the song was moving; it kind of seemed all over the place. (Which could be a "prog" thing, and a reason I don't listen to much prog).

4. WishIwasfinnish

WishIwasfinnish SS.org Regular

I agree with KaliM, whatever is going on in the background should be made louder. You can pan it differently than the main guitars to provide more clarity too. Also there's a big volume jump once the additional instruments come in - you should avoid doing that, it doesn't really contribute to the punch. You don't need to make the guitars louder to accentuate a section, the added instruments will do that naturally.

5. DGChaos

DGChaos SS.org Regular

Thanks for the useful feedback folks!

I tried increasing the brightness of the guitars, but I'm not sure if they are beginning to sound too treble-heavy.

I lowered the bass level to accommodate louder guitars and drums, but do you think the bass is now too low?

Got rid of the volume jump too. Here's version 2 with additional parts: https://soundcloud.com/debraj-ghose/int1

6. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I think maybe the reverb/reverse delay was a bit too much, also the volume of the lead guitar is overbearing and I can't hear much from the background arrangement.
    Mute the lead guitar and balance your mix, then bring it back in gradually. Might want to read up on guitar eq and work on getting that lead to stand up better in the mix or just try a different patch, maybe if you have a 6505 emulation to get a little more bite?