could I actually switch necks between my guitars?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by 7stringstohangyouwith, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:30 PM.

1. 7stringstohangyouwith

7stringstohangyouwith SS.org Regular

Could I use my short scale guitar's neck to switch with another guitar with a standard neck (vice versa)?

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Only if the frets are placed such that the bridge is in the same place for both to have the right scale length.

For example, If you had a 24 inch scale guitar with 24 frets, the last fret (end of the neck) would be 6 inches from the bridge. If you swapped it for a neck that made it a 12 inch guitar, the end of your neck would have to be the 12th fret (6 inches from the bridge. 6 inches from the nut)

3. 7stringstohangyouwith

7stringstohangyouwith SS.org Regular

I'm going to have to think about what you just said. LOL

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

In short, not likely.

What info do you have on the two guitars?

If they both have 24 frets, that 24th fret on the short scale guitar would be right in the center between the 12th fret and the bridge. if you put another 24-fret neck on it from a full-scale guitar, the 24th fret would end up in the same place, but it would no longer be in the center betweeen the 12th fret and the bridge. It would be the same distance from the bridge, but the 12th fret would be further away. You might be able to tune to open notes, but your harmonics and any fretted note would be off, further and further as you play up the fretboard.