Cost and options to bring my Caparison to the US

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neurosis, Jan 30, 2015.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Hello all. As some of you know I moved to the US indefinitely a while back. On my last trip in December I wanted to take my Dellinger home with me but shit happening at the airport and stress over other things made my alarms go off and I decided to avoid the hassle and leave the guitar behind. I am lucky to have trusted my gut, since AA "misplaced" and lost all my luggage for about a week and only higher powers can know what the Dellinger's fate would have been seeing how my suitcases returned.

But enough storytelling. I miss that guitar so much. I want to ship it to myself from Spain to the US. I found a service that will ship it pretty cheap as far as I am concerned but a lot of you are better versed in all things trades and sales and probably have experience shipping to and into the United States.

What are my options and will it cost me anything at customs considering it is my own instrument which I already paid taxes on and is not a sales item?

What shipping methods that cost less but are safe would you recommend? I don't mind it if arrives later. I just want it to be affordable and safe.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Have a good one!

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Depending upon how much the international shipping cost is, you might be able to buy an extra seat for it on the plane for not much more.

3. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

Is the guitar in a case? (information not provided)

I'd look into shipping it through an international parcel service, like UPS, FedEx, or DHL. Might be expensive, but it would be a better option than taking it on a public plane considering luggage losses and whatnot.

4. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I left it behind in Madrid and flew here. I´d have somebody carry it on a visit but no relatives are coming anytime soon :D

I just decided to leave it behind after I was informed I had no guarantee of a seat. I know how they move us around like cattle on airlines all too well so in fear of getting stuck or waiting or have them move it on check in I decided not to travel with it. I have paid for a seat for an amplifier before but that´s really not necessary for a guitar.

Good point though since it reminded me of asking friends if they ever come visit to bring it with them.

5. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I am looking into a few of them and got the price list made. There is actually a fairly cheap service I could use instead but I have to look into it further.

Do you guys know if I´d have to pay customs, considering it´s my own instrument?

6. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Well, I recently went in the other direction, moving from the US to the Netherlands and shipped a bunch of expensive guitars (along with the rest of my belongings).

If you're moving for work, typically that gives you an exemption on paying customs. An international moving company will have the right paperwork for that. I don't know if parcel services are going to be as much help there.

Getting a friend to carry it over for you will almost certainly be the cheapest option (even if you don't pay customs, international shipping and insurance are going to hurt). That's what I plan to do with the guitars I left behind if I decide that my move is going to be permanent.

7. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

You shouldn't have to pay customs as the guitar was not made in the US and since you already own it, there is no sale.

I think!

8. thraxil

thraxil cylon

The trick is that you have to be able to prove that to customs, and prove that you aren't intending to sell it while in the country. If you're shipping it, you're going to insure it and customs is going to look at the insured value that you have listed and wonder if it's really someone shipping a guitar to you that you already own or if you're just somebody trying to buy an expensive guitar and avoid paying customs on it by claiming otherwise.

9. Grief

Grief SS.org Regular

Having moved from UK to US last year here's what I know by recent experience:
    You could ship in a boat via a freight company.
    On a container via groupage it won't leave until they have enough stuff to fill the container. You complete customs paperwork when you ship so it doesn't get taxed on arrival. Total guess at cost based on my recent experience would be around $250.

If you fly and check it in then your airline should be able to quote you an additional cost. When we flew it was something like $150 for 25kg of extra baggage and $150 for over size baggage. I didn't take a guitar but did book $25kg of extra bagage. We turned up at the airport with about another $22kg of extra baggage and they waved it through. So, riskiest option as it may sound it may be more cost effective to just turn up at the airport with it and se what they say. Pack it really well though as it is likely to take a beating in the hold. Only other issue with hand carrying it is you have to deal with customs officers. I don't know what the rules are there but i'd print out all the rules and paperwork to show them and be ready to have a debate. I have a guitar to bring back to the US at Easter and I'm probably going to do it this way.

10. thraxil

thraxil cylon

FWIW, I've never experienced or even heard of anyone having any trouble with customs when hand carrying a guitar through the airport. People travel with instruments all the time, so they basically don't bat an eye.

11. SamRussell

SamRussell Badass

Put it in a soft case and take it on the plane with you. If you saunter on you can get the stewards to stash it in their cloak cupboard for free.

12. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

What if the sender is the same as the recipient? I mean I am shipping it from my parents house in Spain to myself in the US.

Do you think if I supply proof that it was bought in Spain and is an item for personal use I can bypass the import tax?

13. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I have done that before, just this time they were real dicks so I went the easy route and didn´t argue. I wasn´t in a good mood to begin with so yeah... no Caparison on the plane, but also not any other place were they would have lost it for days and possibly ruin it.

I am just looking for a way to ship it here. Preferrably not friends bringing it onboard of a plane. And the cheaper the better. But if that is going to be risky and put the guitar in danger than I´ll have to wait until I can carry it myself.

14. Grief

Grief SS.org Regular

For getting your own belongings into the US there is a form you fill out which includes a declaration that items are your own personal property and that they have been in your personal possession for at least one year. Look it up or contact customs (EDIT: I did it for you below)

Remember that success is about following the rules so all you need to do is find out what they are and follow them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=importing+your+possessions+to+the+usa&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP Form 3299.pdf

I have suggested that if you are hand-carrying the guitar you should also carry a print-out of those rules because there is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that staff at the US end have a good amount of autonomy and not always the greatest amount of familiarity with the rules they are supposed to work to. So it might help.

15. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

16. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot for this man! I was thinking of calling them after reading your guys´recommendations. You beat me to it and this looks super reasonable, too. I´ll look into this for sure!