Cookin' with Seitan!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Explorer, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I *love* meat, but have been eating vegan for quite a while.

I've really been thinking about breaded pork chops and fried chicken recently. So I figured, why not try my hand at seitan? I have vegan friends who don't like it because it's too meaty, but that's just what I've been craving.

So, I made a quick batch of seitan using some wheat gluten form the cabinet, and then coat it in a flour mix and fry it. It's so good that my vegan friends insist I'm the worst vegan ever. *laugh*

Anyone else make/use seitan recently?

2. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

Came for the controversy, staying for the fake steak

3. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

4. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

I read the title as "Cooking with Satan" and promptly clicked. I've never used seitan. Sorry. :( Carry on.

5. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I think that Vegan Black Metal Chef decided to take the conventional route though, because he's cutting open a prepackaged, premade seitan.

it's not that hard to make seitan at home. You take whatever seasoning and salt you like, mix it in with 1 cup of vital wheat gluten powder, and then one cup minus two tablespoons of water either in your food processor or mixer with the bread making attachment or just folding it together in a bowl, and then kneading it a bit. You can pre-make your flavoring broth with just bullion or (to get fake chicken or pork) some poultry spices and an onion. and four cups of water. Bring the water to a simmer, tear off small pieces of the raw gluten and drop it it, and make sure it can all be submerged. The seitan will swell like bloating corpses, so keep an eye on it and make sure you at least turn the stuff over a few times over the next 45 minutes as it cooks.

There are piles of recipes on the internet, and it's not that hard to do.

Hail Seitan!

6. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

I love seitan. I used it for fajitas and philly cheese "steak". Got my recipe from the post punk kitchen

7. tmo

tmo This is Blue Pain..t

8. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

My girl has been transitioning to vegan (from vegetarian) recently and we picked up some vegan cheese, saw seitan in the store but it's really expensive and we don't know anyone who has tried it before here. Got any links to good recipes, or pics of the end result? It'd be great to find some more meat replacements with good texture.

9. Daeniel

Daeniel 7string n00b!

I'm no longer a vegetarian but boys I still love to eat Seitan from time to time! One of my favorite recipes consist in just to slice it into small cubes, let it roast on a pan with some olive oil for a couple of minutes together with spices and real olives (I'm from Italy, so yeah, got good ingredients here ;)) and then add basilic and tomato souce. Extremely yummi! :D