Converge - I Can Tell You About Pain (2017, Hardcore, Metalcore)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Mwoit, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

BRUH.

MickD7, cwhitey2 and Mwoit like this.
  2. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

New track.

3. HeadofaHessian

HeadofaHessian SS.org Regular

Reptilian is so damn good! album is almost out, cant wait!!!

4. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Album of the year for me. Without a doubt.
    Full stream up on Epitaph channel.

bhakan and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I've already listened twice it's so good. I want to be in Converge...

MickD7 likes this.
  6. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

^ My aspiration in life is to be Kurt Ballou :lol:

Masoo2 likes this.
  7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I really liked it, but was let down that nothing blew my face off the way Aimless Arrow does every time I listen to it! I think it's more consistently good than the last one, which is saying something.

8. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Tried to listen to the new album and had to stop 4 songs in. Not because I didn't like it (quite the opposite actually). It's just so complex and overwhelming that I know I'll have to really take the time to sit down and devote my full attention to it to really give it the listen it deserves. That being said the first few tracks seemed a little weak/by the numbers/phoned in and that had me feeling a little discouraged, but once track 4 kicked in I was just like "oh yeah, they still got it". My only real complaint so far is that the vocals seemed to be mixed a little high for a converge record, but that could a just been cuz I was listening to it on my shitty headphones through my phone.

9. wankerness

Nah, the album definitely sounds a lot thinner than the previous. I had to check and make sure a speaker connection wasn't loose when I started it up. It has that "bad headphone" sound.

10. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Yea the album isn't breaking any new ground for Converge but the songs are still great. The mix is really disappointing though, and a big surprise for me because I normally love anything that comes out of God City.

11. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Mix sounds huge to me on my monitors. Y'all are smoking crack.

Ordacleaphobia and vilk like this.
  12. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

When I'm listening in the right environment (monitors, good headphones) it sounds super tight and angry. When I listened in my car and on earbuds though it sounded really thin compared to what I was playing before/afterwards.

13. wankerness

Listen to it with the previous album back and forth. It is really thin in comparison. I was listening both on decent stereo speakers and my actual stereo system. It's not awful, it just feels thin and demo-y.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I think the production is pretty good listening to my car's system (which is really the best system I've got :lol:)

15. _RH_

_RH_ SS.org Regular

I love Converge, of course, but for some reason I can't listen to the verse of "The Dusk in Us" without hearing KEN mode's "Dead Actors". They don't even sound that similar but for some reason I keep imagining it!

16. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

So I don't know about you guys, but I am digging this release for sure. Definitely challenging for my new favorite Converge album.

A Single Tear is probably my favorite so far, save for maybe Reptilian.

17. wankerness

I've listened to this probably 7-10 more times in my car. I really like it, it's better than the last one IMO, even if Aimless Arrow remains my favorite song from either. It has the perfect production for playing in one's car - as your car naturally makes the bass disappear, it sounds like any other album with great guitar tone/vocal balance. When you play it back home on a system that's got regular bass levels, then you notice the bass is still missing!! It's not a big deal, as mentioned before the guitars and vocals all sound great, it's just a bit jarring compared to the previous.

I still haven't listened to anything they released pre-2012 :D

18. wankerness

I had that same problem. I listened to the follow-up albums about twice each and thought I might really like them if I hadn't heard OMatMH, but they were SO much worse that I just wrote them off anyway.

19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

My car's system has pretty good bass, and I usually listen very loudly, maybe that's why I think the album has good production and everyone else doesn't.

And dude, you gotta listen to Jane Doe. It's one of if not the most quintessential metalcore albums ever made. I love it because each track is like a different sub-sub-genre of metalcore. It's so crazy to think that it came out in 2001, because that almost sorta means that it may be directly responsible for the eventual development of these various sub-sub-genres of metalcore.

The people in this thread who are trying to claim it's not the absolute best are just totally and completely mind-boggling. It's an anomalous opinion to the degree that I refuse to believe it. You guys love Jane Doe best, you're just having a hard time admitting it.

Keep in mind though, for aforementioned reason of that every track is so completely different from the next, you'll have no good understanding of Jane Doe from listening only to Concubine and Fault and Fracture. Listen to the whole cd!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 12:23 PM
  20. wankerness

I still don't have a copy of Jane Doe. I guess I should just bite the bullet and order it. I now have When Forever Comes Crashing, No Heroes, Axe to Fall, All We Love we Leave Behind, You Fail Me (Redux), and The Dusk In Us. Sounds like that would be like having a Slayer collection without Reign in Blood, or Megadeth without Rust in Peace, huh?

vilk likes this.