Controversial Atheist Billboard

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Treeunit212, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Treeunit212

Treeunit212 Not your bro, bro.

Since this turned in to such a huge controversy in the media these past few weeks, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on this whole thing is.

[​IMG]

Now PERSONALLY, I am an Atheist and see no reason to get upset about this. I mean sure, you may not believe it is a myth, but Christmas was invented by the Pagans and really wasn't a Christian holiday to begin with. Despite all of the stories and religious importance, it's really just become the season for shopping (yay Capitalism!).

Besides, there are much more blatantly disrespectful billboards out there from the Christian viewpoints. :nono:

Fox News Interview of David Silverman:

2. splinter8451

splinter8451 SS.org Regular

Exactly.

There are many many many Christian billboards promoting bullshit so why get all worked up over one Atheist one.

3. Plankis

Plankis SS.org Regular

haha can that be called a interview? She interrupted him every second word! What's the point of having him there if he isn't allowed to talk?

4. Treeunit212

It wouldn't be Fox News if it was any different. :rolleyes:

5. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

:lol: Sad but true

6. xmetalhead69

xmetalhead69 Unexpected Ally

I think its foolish to commit fully commit to either believing or not believing in something like religion. You can't know until you die, so don't worry about it until then. :2c:

7. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

I think its foolish to put up a billboard like this, however i don't mind it. Its just a billboard people. :lol:

8. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Atheism pisses me off, because these people seem to think they can get away with anything by justifying it with 'fact' and 'oh but Christians have done the same'. How about not lowering yourself to their level? Many atheists core argument is the violence and militant forcing of beliefs religions often have, and yet atheists have become a religion themselves and just as forcing of their opinions on people. So their reasoning for this hate campaign can't be based on protest against that. This only leaves their wish to force more people to believe in atheism (preaching?), which they are doing with controvserial and offensive ads. They're fighting fire with fire. Thats why I lost my patience with athiesm (well, militant atheists) a long time ago. When you become what you started fighting against its time to call it quits.

I think we should ust be tolerant, because taking the moral highground is the best way to live.

9. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Whether I agree with the billboard or not I don't see why people getting offended by a billboard is newsworthy, or even a a big deal.

10. Treeunit212

I agree completely with the stooping to their level thing.

But yeah, in the video he explains that it's not a war on anything, simply a calling to people who are afraid to be honest to their families about their lack of belief this time of year, for fear of being shunned and disowned by loved ones.

The main reason it is being seen as an attack on Christianity is because of news coverage like this. :squint:

11. Treeunit212

Um.. Isn't that how court cases and murder trials are won?

Food for thought.

12. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

This is equally as annoying as other religious billboards.

13. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

I agree with everything said in this post, which is why I don't worship the ground that Richard Dawkins walks on like some other atheists do. I am an atheist myself, but I don't use that as an excuse to be insensitive towards the religions of the world. Those religions exist for a reason and to instantly trash all of them on the grounds of 'superior logic' - which is a phrase I *really* don't agree with - is both insensitive and narrow-minded.

Logic is great for solving certain problems in life, not *all* of them. Sometimes a little faith goes a long way.

Adam Of Angels likes this.
  14. Randy

Randy !ǝɯ ʇɐ ʞooן Super Moderator

THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!

15. Treeunit212

...That didn't exist until Fox News created it! :nuts:

16. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Oh I agree fact has its place, but on things like this, which can't be confirmed either way, what does fact achieve? And this isn't a trial, no one here has commit a crime. There is a freedom to believe what you want in this world, and you shouldn't be presuctued because of that. Being gay is not biologically correct, we're not supposed to be gay. But would you tell a gay person their life is wrong because we're not naturally supposed to be that way? No, because its not right.

Sometimes you just need to leave people to their own ends, even if it goes against what you percieve as fact. If they aren't hurting anyone, let them believe what they want.

Exactly man, he's become like a figurehead for the atheist religion. Kinda like...Jesus? :lol: And thats the first mistake a lot of religions make; they base all their ideas from one source, which is always fallible. Nothing short of divinity or science itself can speak real truth. I'm agnostic myself, as I can't stand organised religion but I do think there is something more to everything. I think we all need an open mind.

17. Scar Symmetry

18. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

^ That's exactly what I was going to post.

19. Scar Symmetry

So much win in one post. I'm so proud I could cry!

vampiregenocide likes this.
  20. Treeunit212

Agreed. I just thought it was a funny way to argue your point. Kind of like saying "What, you think you can get away with murder just because you didn't do it?!"

And that is what conspiracies are for...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.