Constructive Criticism would be appreciated..

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by bearstate, Jul 16, 2010.

1. bearstate

bearstate SS.org Regular

constructive criticism would be appreciated regarding the songs and or the recordings/mixing etc. of the songs on my bands myspace.

I worked really hard mixing these songs, and we're recording more right now, and I would like an opinion on how we can better our music and music recordings.

thanx :shred:

this is my first post on this website

BearState (BRAND SPANKIN' NEW SONG UP NOW) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly SS.org Regular

First off, welcome to the forum! :wavey:

Secondly, I'm by no means any good at mixing, so I can only give you my perspective and advice from a listeners point of view, that means that you can't ask me HOW to change something.

Ok, songs.
    Natasha (lovely name btw :))
    When I'm listening it feels like the singer is about 3" away from my ears.
    The guitars are about 25 foot away from my ears.
    And the drummer about 15 foot away.
    Now, you'll have to get them to sound like they're a bit closer. Like they're in the same room, in the same little space between your headphones and you!
    This is not a matter of just adjusting volume, but well, you have to experiment a bit to make that 'distance' less obvious. Because that's the main thing that's dragging this mix down at the moment.
    Besides that it sounds pretty balanced, the guitars could sound a bit more defined, and the vocals could be a tad better at some point in the beginning of the song. Smooth ending ;)

11:34,
    Ok, listening to this one is a lot nicer, in my opinion everyone sounds like they're 3 foot away from me, which is nice. The guitarwork tends to drown a bit because it's not very defined at some parts, the high parts at like 1:30 may be accented, they really give a nice feel to the riff same as at 1:50,, the high stuff is really drowned.
    Tough overall I find the guitars pretty balanced, just try boosting those part maybe?
    The snare is not my favorite, it sounds more like someones hitting on a balloon .
    Sweet glitching before 3:00 and that vocal part after 3:00 is awesome. Nice sub-drop + breakdown there!
    I must say it sound pretty good, though the professional bands in this kind of music just have there stuff a bit more defined: it's very hear-able who is who at all times.

11:33,
    Just like 11:34, pretty sweet, nice gllitching, the distance is right here to me, the guitars tend to sound a bit hard here though, might cut those a little bit back.

Well, and that's all the songs.
    Hope you have any use of what my ears hear!
    Good luck with mixing and keep us posted! :)

3. bearstate

bearstate SS.org Regular

thanx a lot dragonfly - I really appreciate it. this helps a lot on what I can improve =)

4. manana

manana SS.org Regular

It sounds professional. I really like the vocals too. I would post something critical, but i really didnt find anything wrong. What did you use to mix this?

5. bearstate

bearstate SS.org Regular

thanx mana. =) haha, well, whenever I say what I mixed with, everyone goes "huh??? never heard of it" haha, it's this $70 program (I ain't got a lotta money) called MIXCRAFT 5. it's actually really good considering the price. and you can do pretty much anything with it (I haven't found anything that you can't do with it so far). I'm very satisfied with the way it works, and it's very easy to use.