conspiracy theories / mystical creatures / urban legends...the thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Holy shit cpt. syllables....

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  2. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

I'm lucky enough to not know any in person (Geocentrists or flat Earthers), but I'm just speaking from the ones I've seen online. Almost every one of them has used the Bible to justify their belief in Geocentrism. Not talking about flat Earthers.

3. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Crazy talk!

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

5. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

just hipster bears

marcwormjim likes this.
  6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Goddamn hipsters. :mad:

7. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

So C3P0 has a fucking antenna now.

[​IMG]

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I don't get the Mandela Effect. I never heard news Nelson Mandela died before 2013, I do remember my C3PO toys having a silver leg, I remember Kazaam starring Shaq and not Sinbad, etc. The only thing I will say is that The Berenstain Bears was something every kid in second grade pronounced incorrectly.

9. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Yeah, I think it just elaborates just how easily we forget little details. I had to look it up and everything mentioned didn't make me feel like I was in a twilight zone or anything. I knew froot loops was with two o's. People hear and remember things wrongly all the time.

bostjan likes this.
  10. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

That's why in the scientific world, eye witness testimony for an account/description is basically useless. Your brain will change your memory...to say, something that you may have encountered in the past and the 2 memories get blurred together.

Take bigfoot for example....1000's of eyewitness testimony, yet no hard scientific proof.

I'm by no means a scientist, but that what I have heard on the interwebz :lol:

bostjan likes this.
  11. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

See, I remember C3P0s red arm, but not the silver leg, and definitely never noticed an antenna. I've seen the original trilogy probably 100-200 times, at least. I was obsessed with it when I was a kid, and literally watched it every weekend until I was probably 19-20.

A large majority of the Mandela effect things are pretty easily explained away via lack of specific knowledge that people feel amazed by when they find out about it online. For example, tree kangaroos. Never heard of them until recently, but my wife says she used to go see them at the zoo.

But the Star Wars stuff, there are quite a few things that really confuse me because I have seen the movies so many times, and spent so much of my childhood playing with the toys, and drawing the characters, and collecting the comics...

I dunno.

12. crankyrayhanky

Funny how there's a whole lot of people trying to logically devalue anything X-Files here...
    Mandela Effect is easy to brush off at first glance, but look deeper and, it appears to me, to be a lot more compelling than just a few people misremembering

13. cwhitey2

Hey buddy, everything in the x-files is based off of something that actually happened in real life :coffee:

14. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

There's also a pretty significant amount of very odd things related to movies in general, like drastically different endings or lines that seem like everyone alive remembers differently. It's an interesting topic.

15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It's all memes. "Luke, I am your father!" It's not the line in the movie, but it's close enough. One person misquotes the line to a dozen of his friends, then a majority of those friends start misquoting the line to their friends and on and on it goes until the fake line is remembered better than the real one, but if you were alive in the eighties, and you think back for a minute, you probably remember the nerd who was always trying to correct people. "No, he doesn't say 'Luke,' dude, go back and watch the movie!" to which everyone flippantly says "meh, close enough...nerd!"

Meme proliferation is very analogous to prion proliferation in biology. The closer the meme line is to the real line, or, more accurately, the better it represents the function of the real line, the better it will catch on. If it happens to be shorter or otherwise easier to recall than the actual line, out of context, then the meme line will proliferate better than the actual line and you end up with the Mandela Effect years later.

JoshuaVonFlash likes this.
  16. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

The "No, I am your father!" line is a great example of circumstantial editing. It's nearly impossible to say that line the way it was written without it feeling incredibly forced. It just makes sense that people attempting to use the line in a social setting wouldn't realize they're making a change, but by saying "Luke" at the start, they're simply framing the subject of the line without having to explain it.

Spaced Out Ace and bostjan like this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I imagine a drunk John Carpenter trying to think of shit to fluff up the TV version of Halloween that can be used in Halloween II, and going, "Fuck it... Let's just Darth Vader and Luke Michael and Laurie, except they are brother and sister."

Oh wait, that's no longer "canon" thanks to Carpenter and this ridiculously stupid new cash grab. :wallbash:

18. crankyrayhanky

I can't believe I have to spell this out, but my use of the phrase X Files is meant to describe strange happenings...not the actual show

I guess the one person who is misquoting includes James Earl Jones. There's interviews where people excitedly ask him to say the line, as it is one of the most historic lines in motion pictures....and it is really bizarre that he is saying it wrong too?!....oddly enough, another JEJ flick the Field of Dreams "Build it..." line is also changed, including the actual tone of the whisper voice

19. cwhitey2

Well shit.

Anyways I love the show hahaha

20. crankyrayhanky

Dude I do too! Are the new ones any good? Not sure if Fox Scully Smoking Man holds up