conspiracy theories / mystical creatures / urban legends...the thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Jul 29, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Why threaten to release names, though? Just come out with it. Or do we want to give child molesters the opportunity to leave the country and change their names?

lewis likes this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

He's been hinting that it'd affect his safety.

Ebony likes this.
  3. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

And probably the safety of loved ones.

4. bostjan

That makes absolutely no logical sense. If anything not releasing the names, but threatening to do so puts him and his loved ones in so much more danger, potentially, than any other course of action. I guess this is just one of those things where logic really plays no role, though. :shrug:

5. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

Maybe he thinks the publicity will shield him, who knows.

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i agree with the thinking that publicly threatening too but never doing it, puts himself at more danger imo.

if he went public with all this and then lo and behold dies mysteriously it would raise too many questions and suspicion. They (whoever they are) would not be able to touch him.

All the while their names are secret he can get taken out anytime.

7. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

This is so far off base. If the above scenario happened and the official story was accident, 99% of sheeple would buy it unquestioned....and would also attack people as "tin foil hatters" if they suggested otherwise. One big conspiracy theory is the modern use of the word conspiracy being equal to "crazy" ...and there was a huge anti-conspiracy campaign that was launched decades ago and was largely successful.

Don't believe it? It worked! Conspiracy-Inception

8. bostjan

"Conspiracy: in modern usage, 'conspiracy' is equated to 'crazy'" muses the guy who just used the word "sheeple."

I get what you are saying, though. We are fed bullshit every day and told it's chocolate cake, which is just more bullshit. But just because some things are bullshit doesn't mean everything is bullshit. The key is in developing your own ability to discern bullshit, and to discern merit, and to form your own opinions based on the information filtered through that discerned perception. It's not really a skill that the general public has ever possessed. :shrug: People find it convenient to believe what they are told, as it takes less work to do so. When someone with too much time on his hands comes along and takes the podium to point out the bullshit in popular public opinion, that person either becomes a hero or is dismissed as a lunatic. That's why presentation is so important, and using words like "sheeple" is so self-defeating.

Back to the topic of Corey Feldman, and this being a music forum, has anyone seen this old video?

I actually really dug his performance, even though I absolutely detested the song. I actually appreciated the Doctor Ice cameo (he was a backup dancer for Whoodini [The Freaks Come Out at Night]). To put it into perspective, I saw this after everybody had already told me how bad it was, so I halfway expected it to be like Feldman reaching through the screen and poking my eyes.

And back to the topic of sexual harassment, now George HW Bush is apologizing for getting inappropriate with an actress from "Turn: Washington's Spies": http://www.newsweek.com/george-hw-bush-apologizes-after-sex-assault-allegation-692368

All I can think to say is WTF?!

9. crankyrayhanky

sheep follow the herd
    sheeple= People find it convenient to believe what they are told, as it takes less work to do so.

This is the same thing, no?
    Plus, I think it is more than "less work". This implies that people who work harder can make their own independent actions, which is simplifying the issue. There is a mass group control system (tv, film, media, etc) that is at work and very powerful- it pushes people into this herd.

10. bostjan

Sure there is, but no one forces you to turn on the tv, go see a film, subscribe to mass media outlets, etc. Why do people need to be entertained and not entertain themselves? It's a matter of convenience. Offer everyone a convenience at a low cost, and let them choose to take it in, at their own convenience, and it sells the point better. But it's not like it all willfully intended to be that way, not that it matters as much how it got to be the way it is.

The thing is, if the mass media gets caught in too many lies, it stops being authoritative, so there is a corrective feedback loop in place, but the lazier people get about looking shit up from independent sources or thinking critically about what they are told, the more the mass media can get away with presenting.

You want to question everything, that's great, but then question everything. Too many conspiracy guys on the internet don't apply anywhere near the same level of scrutiny toward the stuff they see on conspiracy sites.

My point about using the buzzword "sheeple:" the use of any word says things on multiple levels. Use a plain word, and people understand you. Use a jargon word, and exclude casual audiences whilst hinting to interested audiences that you know what you are talking about. Use a buzzword and you equate yourself to other speakers employing the same buzz. Sometimes it's basically unavoidable - if you are talking about global climate change, you have to use either "climate change" or "global warming," etc., they are all buzz words. (Ironic example, though, as it started out as a fringe theory and now that it's mainstream, the fringe theory is that it's acceptance into mainstream is a conspiracy.)

So yeah, using the word "sheeple," is not clever (the word has been around since 1945), it merely identifies the speaker as someone whom glams onto buzz words commonly used by the conspiracy theory community. It's ironic because use of the word is a symptom of herd mentality, the very thing that the word was originally used to ridicule.

11. bostjan

Sure there is, but no one forces you to turn on the tv, go see a film, subscribe to mass media outlets, etc. Why do people need to be entertained and not entertain themselves? It's a matter of convenience. Offer everyone a convenience at a low cost, and let them choose to take it in, at their own convenience, and it sells the point better. But it's not like it all willfully intended to be that way, not that it matters as much how it got to be the way it is.

The thing is, if the mass media gets caught in too many lies, it stops being authoritative, so there is a corrective feedback loop in place, but the lazier people get about looking shit up from independent sources or thinking critically about what they are told, the more the mass media can get away with presenting.

You want to question everything, that's great, but then question everything. Too many conspiracy guys on the internet don't apply anywhere near the same level of scrutiny toward the stuff they see on conspiracy sites.

My point about using the buzzword "sheeple:" the use of any word says things on multiple levels. Use a plain word, and people understand you. Use a jargon word, and exclude casual audiences whilst hinting to interested audiences that you know what you are talking about. Use a buzzword and you equate yourself to other speakers employing the same buzz. Sometimes it's basically unavoidable - if you are talking about global climate change, you have to use either "climate change" or "global warming," etc., they are all buzz words. (Ironic example, though, as it started out as a fringe theory and now that it's mainstream, the fringe theory is that it's acceptance into mainstream is a conspiracy.)

So yeah, using the word "sheeple," is not clever (the word has been around since 1945), it merely identifies the speaker as someone whom glams onto buzz words commonly used by the conspiracy theory community. It's ironic because use of the word is a symptom of herd mentality, the very thing that the word was originally used to ridicule.

tedtan likes this.
  12. crankyrayhanky

Opinion invalidated due to Corey Music love^

bostjan likes this.
  13. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Well the world is getting weirder by the day it seems.

Everyone knows in their "feels" that something is very wrong with the world and it's accelerating, but no one can't articulate into words exactly what it is...

so hence forth the fringe ideology.

We're grasping at straws trying to make sense of it all.

14. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

I think what you describe translates into how the "common people" now has access to truths long hidden by force, such as the truth that the world is "dog-eat-dog". The emotional toll of this knowledge has found its way into our social interactions, art, music and literature. Not because it hasn't always been there, which it most definitely has, but because we now understand how it directly contradicts our wishes to make the world a "better place". It is one of the great complexities/paradoxes of the human condition, to understand the premises of existence and still be able to enjoy it.

Over-population is becoming the physical heart of the situation, signifying not only our success but also our failure and displaying to everyone how this world by design is, to put it bluntly, a hellhole endured by the many and enjoyed by the few.

15. crankyrayhanky

16. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

So ya'll up on this Tom DeLonge alien stuff? It seems like bullshit but the wikileaks stuff is weird.

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Not something I particular subscribe to or anything, though it is interesting: Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington were offed because they were going to disclose info about a pedophile ring in the entertainment industry.