conspiracy theories / mystical creatures / urban legends...the thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Jul 29, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

ISIS claims that they were involved. Not too weird, right, because they don't care about lying, do they? Except that, historically, they have not made such false claims before...well, maybe they're getting desperate...except it does seem like there are a few things that might lend some credibility to the claim. They've also doubled down and said it's not a false claim, for whatever the he'll that's worth.

I think, one way or the other, there's just going to be a lot of conspiracy theory stuff over this one.

lewis likes this.
  2. bostjan

ISIS claims that they were involved. Not too weird, right, because they don't care about lying, do they? Except that, historically, they have not made such false claims before...well, maybe they're getting desperate...except it does seem like there are a few things that might lend some credibility to the claim. They've also doubled down and said it's not a false claim, for whatever the he'll that's worth.

I think, one way or the other, there's just going to be a lot of conspiracy theory stuff over this one.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

so someone on facebook sent me this video, and it's questioning whether an AR with a bump stock was actually used. I know that ARs generally cycle a lot faster than the audio from the shooting (at least when fully cycling they're around 800 rpm). Personally I think it's strange that the firing rate doesn't exactly match, but I don't see a reason for anyone to lie about the weapon used in the shooting.

here's one showing how you can bump fire with just your finger:

Most of the videos I posted show variable fire rates and if the shooter was really holding the weapon tight the rate of fire WOULD be faster than from the footage at vegas, though again, the fire rate is determined by the user and how hard they're pushing the stock into themselves.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

There was a post on 4chan that I saw on Facebook making the rounds that was kind of interesting. Someone posted anonymously that they were from LVPD, they had found out the guy was an arms dealer and was selling guns to ISIS cells in America, they found he was an FBI informant, killed him and shot all the people. They claimed LVPD was disgusted with the FBI for covering it up and that they were looking for a way to leak info, or something to that effect. Obviously, being anonymous on 4chan, anyone can post anything they choose, but it's the only alternate theory that's made that much sense to me.

Whatever the truth is, I doubt we'll ever know.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ah ok

yeah that makes alot of sense to me too. No way it went down as they claimed it did.

so yet another lied about, covered up event.

So sick and tired of lies.

6. Spaced Out Ace

Thank MI5, MI6, CIA, and FBI. All alphabet agencies do is pull this shit in their own respective countries and others and are generally pretty useless if you compare the ratio of good to bad.

lewis likes this.
  7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

...so I have a flat earther at work...here are some vids he shared with me...while I laughed at him :coffee:

Anyone care to comment?

8. bostjan

So, the second video - the idea is that the rocket hit a solid dome and that's what stopped it from spinning? I mean, just think about that for a second...if I was in a rocket, going 5800 km/hour, and I ran into a solid surface, what would happen? If the first answer that comes to mind is "you'd stop spinning," then any discussion that follows is going to be pure entertainment and have no other value.

On the other hand if you answer:

1. The rocket would be smashed to bits.
    OR
    2. The surface would be smashed to bits.
    OR
    3. Both the surface and the rocket would be smashed to bits.

Then we are ready to move on to the part of the discussion about "why did the rocket stop spinning?" The answer is stabilizers. There are torional stabilizers on the rocket, something I think the developers called a yo-yo, which works kind of how a ballerina can control the speed of her spin by extending her arms out or pulling them in. Deploying the stabilizer is necessary before the lower stage of the rocket is jettisoned in order to better predict where that piece will hit land, and also because the camera equipment on the rocket was supposed to catch some shots of the upper atmosphere, rather than just a blur of nonsense.

Unfortunately, though, people will see that video and exclaim "AHA - Proof that the Earth is flat!" Which is simply non sequitor.

DredFul likes this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

I would think that if the rocket or surface of "le dome" isn't fucked from impact, then the rocket would spin wildly out of control, and smash into the surface of the Earth, making for quite a pyro display.

10. KnightBrolaire

I love how the idea of a flat earth has somehow crawled out of the deepest recesses of humanity and has somehow made a comeback as a plausible idea, so long as you ignore all the mathematical and empirical evidence contrary to the fact. I also can't wait for phrenology or the geocentric theory to make a comeback.

11. Spaced Out Ace

The geocentric theory is the one that we're at the center of the universe, correct? Wouldn't flat earth entail both theories, because you'd have to be geocentric in order for the earth to be flat and night/day to work the way they do.

12. KnightBrolaire

I don't know if flat earth theory is also geocentric. I would prefer not to think about the minutiae of a long disproven theory. Probably because I have better things to do like worry about the fact that there are strains of tuberculosis that are essentially untreatable or that polio and measles are on the rise due to ignorant hippy soccer moms who think healing crystals are a viable alternative to vaccination.

13. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Yes...what is all that mathematical and empirical evidence again? Stuff that shows curvature and movement with 100%proof. Please don't throw out sticks and shadows and boats or going over the horizon as that was covered extensively since 2015.

14. KnightBrolaire

Ok, how about you look into the foucalt pendulum and how the earth projects a round shadow onto the moon, the fact that the same constellations are not seen from every latitude, the whole concept of seasonality, axial tilt, Milankovitch cycles, Archimedes' treatise on floating bodies and spherical oceans, the foundation of spherical trigonometry and Biruni's trigonometric calculations on the curvature of the earth.

15. Spaced Out Ace

They are on the rise due to unvetted immigration, but the insistence on not vaccinating probably isn't helping any.

16. KnightBrolaire

well that's part of it but there's also an alarming number of supposedly educated mothers who think they understand immunology better than people who study it or work in healthcare. It's ok, once their little brats get polio and become paralyzed they'll appreciate vaccinations.

17. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Ok, I looked into the first thing on your list- correctly spelled as The Foucault Pendulum. I do not think you want to use that on your list of proofs, it's basically a weak side show carnival trick. Sometimes it swings the wrong way, sometimes too fast, sometimes it needs a little push to get it going, lol. That doesn't prove anything on either side.

18. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I have nothing to debate, but didn’t I see you post a tonewood prescription in the last 48 hours?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  19. KnightBrolaire

they asked for a type of wood that juggernauts would work well in and I told them what misha uses and what I've used em in. :shrug:

20. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Gotcha. Live long and penis.