conspiracy theories / mystical creatures / urban legends...the thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Jul 29, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

JFK/RFK, Jack the Ripper, DB Cooper, 9/11, and The Phantom Killer/Zodiac Killer are rather interesting.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

My favorite conspiracy theory is the one that turned out to be correct: The Gulf of Tonkin Incident

For those of you who slept through History class, you might not remember the exact details of how the United States entered into the Vietnam Civil War. Well, one of our ships, the USS Maddox, was attacked by the North Vietnamese while it was floating about the Gulf of Tonkin. Since that was a clear act of aggression from North Vietnam, we said "OK it's WAR TIME!" and jumped right into their conflict.

Only... that didn't happen, which the military now fully admits. In 2005 the NSA declassified 140 some documents, and among them was information showing that the Maddox wasn't even there, and the North Vietnamese didn't even attack anything. http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB132/press20051201.htm

So basically we have a clear precedent for the United States fabricating incidents for the express purpose of creating an excuse to start wars. So when we write off 9/11 and Iraq conspiracy theories, I can't help but be reminded that for a 40 years from 1965 until 2005, anyone who doubted the truth of the Gulf of Tonkin Incident would have been on the receiving end of tin foil hat jokes. Except they were right.

In 40 years from now will the NSA declassify information showing that we fabricated our reasons for starting other wars?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Dyatlov Pass Incident, anyone?

A reasonably experienced group of mountaineers set out in the Ural mountains on a hiking expedition. They were found scattered over the area days later with their tongues removed.

steinmetzify, Demiurge and Rosal76 like this.
  5. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Yeah.

http://www.amityvillefilm.com/Discovery of the gun.html

Oh, and just to throw this in for the die-hard Amityville fans. Bradford Exchange released this not too long ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better to have a little model of the house than live in the real thing, right? I was gonna buy one but didn't want demonic pigs appearing in my windows. LOL.

6. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Yes!!!

I know the story. Very, very, very creepy. What I like about this case is that it's well documented. Lots of photos, evidence, investigators were at the site, etc, etc, etc. That's one case where people just can't say, "it's a natural occurrence" or "this is the work of wild animals". I'm like, "yeah, wild animals from outer space".

7. bostjan

Yeah, tons of speculation about what happened there. Young men and women with severe internal injuries with no external signs of trauma whatsoever. Also, what kind of animal lives in the Ural mountains in the winter that would kill people and remove their tongues, but leave everything else in tact, and why were these people mostly half-naked? The official story of "misadventure" leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

I'd say, most likely, a government (USSR) conspiracy of some sort. Probably these young people stumbled on something they should not have seen or were at the wrong place when a military test was ongoing, and no one wanted to say what really happened.

8. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

When I first read/watched Youtube videos of the case, and they explained about the missing eyes, tongues, and organs, my first immediate reaction is U.F.O.s. Reason why is because of the long history of animal mutilations with their corpse having missing parts done with surgical precision, also. I thought that maybe the same U.F.O.'s decided to move on to humans.

9. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

^

not necessarily a "conspiracy" per se, but check out the Nahinni National Park in the NWT of Canada (also known as the Headless Valley)

It has a weird micro-climate, where it can be balmy in the middle of the winter. Also, everyone who goes up there ends up decapitated and the head goes missing. Lots of theories (some very bizarre) about why. The locals have some very interesting legends about the area as well.

I won't link anything specific since there's everything from a Time article to some pretty out there conspiracy sites, but it's some good reading. I kinda really want to do an expedition there from the upper lakes but.... you know...the mysterious decapitation thing.

M3CHK1LLA and Rosal76 like this.
  10. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Thanks for this thread

I've been out of this stuff for a while haha

While I don't necessary follow/believe most of these, I find them extremely interesting/entertaining

M3CHK1LLA and lewis like this.
  11. bostjan

What about Roanoke and "Croatoan?"

Maybe a bit less weird, but still pretty darn weird. Not that the first American colonies from Europe were immune from being wiped out by a number of things, but why on Earth would someone in a dire situation waste their remaining energy carving a totally cryptic word into a tree?

And what about that blimp, during WWII, that launched to patrol the Pacific Coast and returned home with no one aboard, but a cup of coffee still sitting upright near the control deck? If there was severe weather, why didn't the coffee spill? If something else, why didn't anyone radio in the situation?

Rosal76 likes this.
  12. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Quick summary of this one?
    The last season of American Horror Story was based on this one, but it mostly used this myth's ghost population as the haunted characters. The sort of explained how they were an old colony and why they haunted the owners of the character's house, but they never really explained croatoan and that part you described.

13. KnightBrolaire

The link you posted says that the maddox was there and was attacked, though the 2nd attack never happened (based off signal intelligence received). "Hanyok argues that the SIGINT confirms that North Vietnamese torpedo boats attacked a U.S. destroyer, the USS Maddox, on August 2, 1964, although under questionable circumstances. The SIGINT also shows, according to Hanyok, that a second attack, on August 4, 1964, by North Vietnamese torpedo boats on U.S. ships, did not occur despite claims to the contrary by the Johnson administration. President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara treated Agency SIGINT reports as vital evidence of a second attack and used this claim to support retaliatory air strikes and to buttress the administration's request for a Congressional resolution that would give the White House freedom of action in Vietnam."

vilk likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

10000000% with every ounce of my body, THIS!!!!

It was like the old report that came out after 9/11 saying that they would need another "pearl Harbor" incident to get their way in another War. They then obtained it and 9/11 happened.

sidenote: The way you worded that is amazing. Super clear and impossible to argue with. The main reason I will always believe the USA government are war criminals, fraudsters and liars who will do anything to maintain the rank of #1 on the planet.

vilk and takotakumi like this.
  15. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Yes. I know and love the case. I always thought the cause was hostile Indians. I watched a documentary about it a few months ago and 2 of the investigators were actually arguing about which direction the colony went. I was like, "really, do you guys even know they left".

I'm not familiar with that one but will research it. Has a Mary Celeste vibe to it.

16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I believe around the same time, we had Operation Northwoods, where we were going to use staged events, blamed on Cuba, as a means to get JFK to attack Cuba with military personnel. He refused to send military forces when the CIA was training anti-Cuba forces and lost a bunch of people in the Bay of Pigs.

Apparently, some believe that JFK was supposed to be offed in Florida, for obvious reasons, but that it was easier to do it in Texas because LBJ was from there. From what I can tell, the driver of the motorcade stops [as evidenced by the tail lights], looks back, and upon seeing JFK's skull being blown to shit, then puts his foot on the gas pedal. It's quick, but it's noticeable if you watch it closely. This has led some to believe that someone has cut out a few frames.

17. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

[​IMG]

In relation to that, here's a young Jim Morrison with his father, Admiral George Stephen Morrison, aboard the bridge of the USS Bon Homme Richard.

18. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

never heard of this one, its pretty creepy and an interesting read...

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/23zq4r/the_valley_of_the_headless_men/

19. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

That speculated causation of X somehow correlates with speculative causation of Y?

I have no hat in the "investigate three-eleven" thing (and certainly don't consider the US government to be above committing such atrocities), but even implying that one's suspicions being reinforced by declassified Tonkin info lends credence to 7/11 being a part-time job is only going to appear reasonable to someone who already believes it.

edit: Just realized who I was replying to. Please disregard, and carry on.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    lewis likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

bostjan likes this.