conspiracy theories / mystical creatures / urban legends...the thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Jul 29, 2017.

1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

It may be a tie between that and an absence of intellectual accountability combined with a habit of lazily attributing agency to any causal links not readily apparent.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Fracastoro had a version of germ theory, but it was not considered correct at the time (the prevailing theory was that of miasma theory). He also proposed that they caused diseases, but again, this theory wasn't widely accepted until the 1800s. While people had some rudimentary knowledge of microorganisms, they didn't accept that they caused disease until Pasteur proved the germ theory and John Snow(father of modern epidemiology/discovered how cholera is transmitted)/Semmelweis/Lister helped further cement that idea.
    This is a good overview on HIV:
    The video really downplays how many errors HIV makes during transcription (it's a lot, which is why it's so difficult to fight, it constantly changes the receptors/confirmations we use to attack it)
    There have been some cases of people being cured of HIV for a time, with one child being cured for about a year after she was born (she was given intense retroviral med dosages). The only person to be completely cured was a cancer patient who after going through chemo/surgery received a bone marrow transplant from someone with a natural resistance to HIV

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  3. marcwormjim

Eh - The less I understand about HIV, the more reasonable my conjectures seem to me. Frankly, I cured mine with Tylenol.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Savage.

BTW, is your screen name marc-worm-jim or marc-w-or-m-jim or just said reallyfast "marcwormjim"?

5. marcwormjim

No matter how you pronounce it, it's retarded.

lewis likes this.
  6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Fun thread....really enjoyed most of it. I got into it awhile back with a guy on TGP who claimed Bigfoot existed because there was no proof he didn't. Part of that exchange:

'MoxSAM said: Assuming they aren't real is just as silly as assuming they are.

Possibilities man. Possibilities.'

My reply:

'That's not a logical conclusion, man. By this reasoning, all kinds of things could exist completely disregarding anything like evidence. We assume Bigfoot doesn't exist because of lack of evidence, and you're saying there's literally no reason to do so.

So by this, we can go ahead and assume dragons might be real, fairies might be real, Atlantis might be real, and so on and so forth.

You're basically stating that all of these things could be real because assuming that things don't exist based on the remoteness of the locations that exist in the world and fact that no one has been there means that there is a way for them to exist outside the scope of human consciousness/interaction/experience.

Which would mean that literally every single person that has claimed to see Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster or fairies or dragons or whatever has been completely wrong, because no one has ever been to those locations, which are literally the only places on the land masses of the entire planet where these things could exist.

So either way, the people that claim to be eyewitnesses are all wrong, all the time.

It's one or the other.

Either A: there's physical evidence, and I mean a literal fuck-ton of it because if these things regularly come into contact with humans (and according to eyewitnesses this happens every day and twice on Sundays) there would just have to be. Locard's exchange principle proves this. Every contact leaves trace, both ways...but there isn't any. So all of those people are lying.

Or B: These things do exist, and they do it in the smallest most undiscovered places on the planet, avoiding satellite imagery, people like yourself flying above taking photographs etc....which also means that everyone who claims to have seen one is lying because there have never been humans where these things live, therefore no human could have ever seen one. Also means all the other things that people claim to see without any evidence whatsoever live in the same spot....dragons, fairies, aliens, the entire kingdom of Atlantis. All of these things living together in a remote spot high in the mountains getting along, not eating each other, breeding and working together to avoid discovery.

And still no pics, no bones, no decomposing bodies, none captured on satellite images ever...which if you assume dragons are real and they're like their story counterparts (cause why not, right?) these things are enormous and have huge wings and appetites. Never seen a dragon hunting on a satellite image...interesting to me because in the pics posted a dragon would almost certainly have to fly above the forest, not in it...there's no room.

Anyway....you stated that 'Assuming they aren't real is just as silly as assuming they are.'...just wanted to say with regards to evidence, location and the 'integrity' of eyewitnesses, assuming they're real is MUCH more silly than assuming they aren't.

I will agree with your possibility though.....could the thing exist? Sure. It's just that all of the factors that would have to be in place to make it so are almost non-existent.'

This was just part of the exchange......was a giant thread that ended up with something like 300 pages. I had a lot of fun with that guy. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was really into this stuff as a kid. I loved these stories, but as I got older the inconsistencies began to add up. All of these hunters in the woods every year....literally many times more than all of the members of the US Armed Forces combined, and no one ever shot one. No one has ever found a dead one, no one has ever gotten a really good picture or film of one, no one has ever found bones, etc. Same for the Loch Ness Monster, Skunk Ape, Yetis, aliens or all the other things that are on the worst supermarket 'newspaper' rags.

I've heard all the stories about how Bigfoots bury their dead, how they live in other dimensions, etc. It all just sounds like crap that people who believe in this thing make up whenever anyone questions them about daily evidence that absolutely MUST exist if this thing were real, but somehow just doesn't.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    crankyrayhanky likes this.
  7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Like, whoa dude. You two sound like a couple of stoners, maaaannnn.

Just some harmless ribbing, Steinmetz.

8. steinmetzify

No worries Ace...that's how it always feels to me when I engage people like that. Like I actually have to get into a druggie mindset to converse with them on their level lol.

9. Spaced Out Ace

:lol:

I'll be honest -- I think Big Foot could exist, but dude needed a little more evidence than just, "Well no one's proved he doesn't." No one has proven that a unicorn doesn't exist. Doesn't mean it does.

10. steinmetzify

So now we're back to conspiracy theories. Good deal.

I think it could too......but like I said above, "could the thing exist? Sure. It's just that all of the factors that would have to be in place to make it so are almost non-existent."

I just find it really hard to believe, for all the reasons I stated above, that it does. No dead ones, no live ones, no conclusive proof, no hair, no bones, nothing even remotely resembling anything like evidence.

It's always a dude who knows a dude, or some guy named Bubba in a trucker hat telling someone that while he was drinking one night he saw Bigfoot....he's always 'spent his entire life in the woods and knows every sound and smell' etc...and this night was nothing he'd ever experienced before.'

I just really don't get people like this.....it's like no one could possibly come up with any other explanation than

ALIENSGOVERNMENTBIGFOOTALTERNATEREALITIESFAIRIES

Do I believe in weird shit happening? Could there be huge conspiracies or even small ones (Dyatlov Pass)? Yeah, absolutely, and those people are fun to converse with.

The guys that freak me out are the ones that insist that conspiracies are everywhere. "Holy shit it just got really bright in here.....aliens!"

Relax homie, I turned on a lamp....

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Playing devils advocate for a moment. Didnt the largest colony of Gorillas stay completely hidden and off the map for centuries and were only discovered by sheer chance?.
    Until that discovery the "no bones, images, bodies etc" way of looking at it, would have rung true for them too.
    If they can live like that for years and years undisturbed, then theoretically so could Big foot but only if there were more than a handful living together socially like gorillas.
    No way in hell there is like just 1 big foot keeping himself alive in some woods somewhere then thousands of miles elsewhere another doing the same in the mountains etc.

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

It's because they are interdimensional space demons from hell. Duh.

marcwormjim and lewis like this.
  13. steinmetzify

Good point, but the thing missing is the actual evidence. There were stories of gorillas as far back as 500BC, but it wasn't until 1836 that Savage actually got physical evidence, including a skull. People realized they were looking at a new species, and classified it.

So yeah, along those lines it could exist but the stories of these things are just as ancient as those of gorillas, and still zero verifiable evidence, even though if it did exist this would be almost impossible. There would have to be significant numbers to have a breeding population.

Gorillas remained elusive simply because of the fact that people rarely went where they lived, but once people got there evidence was all over the place. You've got people all over the country (just talking about the US) claiming to see this thing everywhere, and still no bones, no identifiable hairs, no verifiable footprints, just nothing.

I do find it interesting that almost all cultures have something like this....giant hairy thing that lives in the forest and is rarely seen, but all cultures suffer the same problem as far as lack of evidence.

I wouldn't believe anyone that told me they'd seen a Bigfoot; there's never been anything ever that convinced me they exist, so someone telling me that is mistaken until proven otherwise.

lewis likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I genuine think Bigfoot sightings and the "myth" just originate from people who like to completely embellish the truth.

2 dudes in the woods hear a branch snap, turn around and just catch the sight of a fury creature as it runs out of sight. Not enough to see what it is so could easily be an animal we know about that lives there.
    Suddenly they have worked themselves up in fear and the next thing you know they are telling everyone they seen a "10 feet giant hairy beast creature that could run. It climbed a tree, waved, flung poo (then picked it up again to not leave evidence), signed an autograph, high fived them then run away.

slightly off topic but still related. One time I was out in a really rural village I used to live at, with a mate of mine. We had ventured through some fields and some woodland area and came to a sort of more open section. In the middle of the clearing was an old brick cow shed. Surrounding it completely was like just under waist high thick weeds. (stinging nettles we call these in the UK).
    After being in there (the cow shed) messing about for probably around 10 minutes we hear a rushing noise towards us and as we turn, a large black animal of some description with what looked like a cat tail that was just poking up above the weeds, ran through these thick weeds just away from us and disappeared into the trees at the edge of the clearing. Was close enough to see its size roughly but still far enough away that the weeds helped completely cover it so confirming its I.D was impossible.

Now there have been "big cat" sighting reports in this village before. Including one report from a woman that claims she was driving along a road in a 4x4 and out of nowhere a puma/panther jumped out of a field, onto her bonnet, then off her bonnet and into the next field opposite and ran away. Was it that I saw?. no idea. Have I ever told anyone this story before? no. If I had would I have been adamant it WAS a panther or something similar? no.
    Thats the difference. These Bigfoot sightee's just completely run away with it.
    *sees blury brown shape run by*
    "It was a 12 foot hairy man that could run like a human with fangs as large as a sabertooth! and its eyes!?...its eyes shined through my soul"

steinmetzify likes this.
  15. steinmetzify

Least you're rational about what you saw; like you said, that's the thing that gets me.

Couldn't POSSIBLY have been anything else! Only Bigfoot!

lewis likes this.
  16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

clearly a werepanther :lol:

lewis likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

it stood 12 feet tall I tell you.

18. marcwormjim

That skunk ape had impure relations with me and committed lewd acts upon my person.

steinmetzify likes this.
  19. Spaced Out Ace

I'MA KILL THAT SKUNK APE!

Awesome House of 1000 Corpses reference. :lol:

20. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Ever see or read Missing 411?
    That will creep the f out of you!
    There's mostly national park stuff, there's urban disappearances too.
    They don't dive into what/who is doing it (BigFoot?) but it's happening