Considering having a guitar Plek'd...

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by FILTHnFEAR, Nov 5, 2018.

1. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I'm waiting on Sweetwater to get in some more of the Schecter Apocalypse C7's and I'm going to grab one. That is if they get some with a nicer wood grain than the last few I've seen on their site.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it or even necessary to have it done on a Schecter in that price range. All my other guitars are MIJ Ibanez, so I want something with fretwork comparable to them.

Opinions/experiences?

Thanks all.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Maybe consider taking a field trip to The Music Gallery in Highland Park? You're in Illinois right?

PLEK jobs are usually very subtle, and most noticeable when you want crazy low action. Sweetwater has their own, so it might be worth giving it a try.

I think the best way to see what the PLEK can do is bring in an existing guitar so you can see what it does. Unless the guitar was really rough, the difference isn't night and day.

Since you never really know what's going to show up at that price point, I'd probably give it a go.

aesthyrian and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  3. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I like very very low action (maybe 1mm off the last fret), so nearly all of my main players have had fret work, some by Plek and others by hand. Plek does a nice job and seems to be more consistent. It's seemed to be better than a poor or average by-hand fret job, but my absolute best playing guitars have frets leveled by hand, for what its worth.

A Schecter in that range will probably play really well. There's a chance that a high or low fret could give a problem, so if you don't want to have to worry about it, a fret job would give piece of mind. Most Prestige Ibanez guitars don't need fretwork, but I've had one in the past few years with a low fret that drove me nuts.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

My understanding is that the end result can really depend on the person operating the machine, and how they set everything up. That's not to say the result would be bad, but it could range from good to very good - I got my s7420 PLEK'd, and the guy setting it up seemed to have a really good understanding of everything that was happening and how to tune everything to match what I wanted. The result was better than I had been expecting. Maybe not night and day, but not very subtle either. Would definitely do it again next time I need some some work done.

5. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

Imo he best way to describe it is:
    If you have a good luthier at a good day setting up the guitar, the difference is minor to none existent.
    For 100% every single time Plek is the easier way (assumed they can handle the machines of course).

I got one of my guitars Plek'd at the headquarter (there was no other option in this case) and I really liked the outcome, but a top level luthier can also reach that...