Considering finally cutting my long hair.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ftr, Nov 21, 2017.

1. ftr

ftr SS.org Regular

I never thought I would actually consider doing it. I am 24 and I have had really long hair since I was like 17 (never above shoulder length). I don't know, I am starting to feel like I am over it and want to try just a normal haircut and wear it combed back or something. I am worried that I won't like how I will look if I cut it, and then I would have to wait a couple years to get it back to the length it is now.

So, I am wondering, have any of you been in my situation? did you end up liking or hating it after you cut it?

IGC likes this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's just hair. It'll grow back. Took me forever to decide to shave my beard off, and I ended up liking the result. Then I grew another beard, and it'll probably also come off in a couple of months or something.

3. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I have been growing hair long and cutting randomly for years. This is the longest stretch i have had short hair that i can remember.

Just do it. It will grow back soon enough... But then again my hair grows really fast so....:lol:

4. odibrom

odibrom .

DO IT, cut it really short, like 5mm or so.
    • 1st thing you'll notice is your head is lighter,
    • 2nd there are all those movements made because of the long hair that are gone, you'll feel more MACHO MAN :D
    • Then there's the shampoo, and brushing and all of those conditioning stuff... all gone. Taking a bath goes from 30 min to 5 or so... wait, that is no advantage there, forgot headbangers do not shower, sorry...:p
    • Headbanging will feel different.
    • You'll feel colder on the head, and under the sun, you'll need a hat of some sort.
    • No more ponytails!...
    • No more hair stuck on car doors, public transport seats, clothes and zips, no more gymnastics when sleeping (hair in face and the stuff).
    Ok, I've been there some years ago, did it really short and I dig it, since then I cut my hair at about 5mm. Super practical, comparing against having long hair, however, I kept my cut hair in a box or bag at that time... I think I've lost it by now... it was a really a lifetime ago... 15+ years...

Then, if you don't like, it's a growing process and time, about 2 years to have it ponytail long again, but i think it depends on each one.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I've done it a few different times and now I'm stuck at permanently shaved head mode since I grew out the beard - you get one or the other, but together you look crazy or homeless.

The first was high school during senior year, I went from really long hair to an undercut in one day after shamelessly ripping off Rody Walker, and it was great. People freaked out, women mourned the loss of my luscious locks, didn't have to worry about it while showering or on a day to day basis and I only grew it back out because I got lazy with paying for hair cuts. The second time we shaved mine after noticing how much I was thinning on top, and it was a bonding experience for me and my friends since I had them do it on NYE before I moved cross-country way back when. Then I kept that going and worked from a #3 down to a #0 which I do either once a week, or once every two weeks if work gets really crazy and I don't have time.

I pay $0 for haircuts since I do them myself, it takes about 15 mins to do, no more shampoo - just toss some moisturizer to keep it from drying out, and it looks infinitely better than when I had hair (bald + beard is the de facto look of my dad's side of the family, so given that my brother is more like my mom's side, it made sense I went this way)

odibrom likes this.
  6. ftr

ftr SS.org Regular

Do you guys think it made you look better? I am trying to change my look a bit and I am not sure if the long hair fits me right now, maybe I should just experiment I guess. It's just I have a really strong emotional connection with my long hair and I think it will be hard to let it go. I always thought it was cool.

7. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

To be honest, most men look better with short hair. But I'm still rocking them long, though they are in quite bad shape right now.

Had really long hair when I was almost 20, like half to the back and had to cut them off because of military service. Half a year after that started growing them again in the beginning of 2011, and it's almost 2018. And they aren't that long because of treating them not so well, only upper back and chest length.

I also have been thinking to get rid of long hair and get trendy undercut or something with beard, but that would be way too high maintenance for me, because it would require going to barber at least every 1 - 1,5 months. Maybe you have to ask yourself, do you like it low or high maintenance? Or what suits the best for your lifestyle? Long hair is kind of medium in my opinion, at least from cutting.

Get short if you really want, or even buzz it if you're having decent shaped head and good face proportions. At least I'm never buzzing it, because it really doesn't suit for me :D so it really depends on a person.

8. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Chicks dig my short hair so....

I shave my sides down and have about 3 inches left on top. Usually i wear a hat, but when i need to look professional, just add some gel.

9. IGC

IGC OCDG

Leave it long, cut mine off because I am balding and wife doesn't like the scullett look. But wish I still had it. feel naked without it, don't expect a "now I look normal " raise at work.
    Don't miss waking up in the morning with a facefull of hair, or feelings of being judged because of it. It was nice not having to get haircuts.
    Good luck, hope things work out in your favor.

10. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

If you're ugly, then cutting back the brush will reveal the true train-wreck that is your face. Warn others beforehand, of all deformities and curiosities that lay hidden.

Not gonna lie... It's weird to get used to right away but overall it ain't a big deal unless your hair somehow defines your identity. Pulling it all back in a ponytail and taking a look in the mirror gives you at least some idea of what you gonna look like without it.

If you have a lot of hair and you think it looks healthy, consider donating to Locks Of Love... an American non-profit that makes wigs for children that have undergone chemo and are in need.

11. odibrom

odibrom .

Pulling the hair back in a ponytail WON'T give any idea of how one looks after cuting the hair down, IMO.

Last idea is pretty cool though.

To save from the barber, buy yourself a hair cutter and DIY at home. I haven't gone to a barber for more than 15 years. I cut my hair every 3 months or when I feel it is looking messy. I usually go for #3 or #2. My daugther made me promisse I won't shave it completely...

12. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Donate it.

Also, however your hair is cut, find a way to own it, and you'll be fine.

13. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

lol yea... I assume OP has pulled back his hair already.

14. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Definately.
    Long hair is cool and it's rock an roll...but in the end...the girls wanna see it short.
    There's only a very small fraction of men that look better or equally good with long hair. The vast majority of us dosn't.

You can start growing them again when you're married.#
    Cut it off! It will make you life better.

And my personal advice: Learn how to cut hair by yourself using one or two mirrors or at least have someone (friends, family, maths teatcher, ...) watching a youtube tutorial and cut your hair for you.
    It is pretty easy after some practise and it saves you some money and most importantly it saves you a lot of time.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  15. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I end up shaving my head solo like so:

Start from the bottom working towards the scalp for the sides
    Start from the hairline working towards the back of the head for the scalp
    Perpendicular pass of scalp working from right to left (or dominant hand to non-dominant side)

For cleaning up the back of my head, I have an old hat I use to get the angle, then I just take my phone and flip it to 'selfie' mode in the mirror - line it up on one side, trim, shift if over to the other side, trim - and done.

16. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Are we talking on top or ball hair, if its the latter leave it for a winter warmth and give it a quick trim in spring.

Lemonbaby likes this.
  17. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

I haven't cut my hair shorter than shoulder length since about 6 years ago. Right now it almost reaches my mid back, but that isn't the longest I've had it. I thought about cutting it a couple of months ago, but I found myself talking with an extremely pretty friend at a party and she asked out of the blue if she could play with my curls. Right then I decided that I can keep it long :lol:

odibrom likes this.
  18. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

You're only halfway there, buddy...unless that's everything you ever wanted from her ;-)

Edit: or....I am completely wrong and your hair on your head isn't even curly...

AliceLG likes this.
  19. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Leave it long if it looks nice, I haven't cut mine in 10 years and I'm always getting compliments on it, specifically from women. These dudes either have shitty hair or they're into the wrong kind of women if they think they wanna see it short, they just wanna see you look nice. I'm in the same boat though, I love the way it looks but god damn is it a hassle sometimes. I think about cutting it all the time but I've never had a haircut that I liked and I don't know what would suit me so i just keep it long.

20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I consider cutting my hair every now and then, but I never end up doing it. I've had long hair since 2005 I think - in the beginning of 2009 it was almost long enough to reach my ass :lol: But because of my military service I cut it short. After that, I was considering not growing it back, but then I just basically forgot to have it cut and now it's pretty long again. My wife cuts of the dry parts of it from time to time, and she likes my hair in general as long as it's clean. Which it rarely is :lol: I wear a ponytail most of the time.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017