Considering buying a Telecaster.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by hypotc, Nov 15, 2016.

1. hypotc

hypotc Music is math

Hi all.

I'm currently thinking about buying a Telecaster. I play in a band with a twangy, semi-heavy alternative rock.

Examples here (Both in E standard):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8fknd2anx4a5uc/twang2 041116.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ti6ytmcb96wwi7/jam74 041116.mp3?dl=0
    You can hear a typically twangy part at 01:25 and the "breakdown" at 02:12 in this one.

Anyways, I've recorded this songs with a PRS Custom 22 where I split the coils for a more single coily tone. Both songs are in E standard. I was thinking about getting a Telecaster for a more authentic single coil tone, and I think the tele twang would fit this kind of music.

Anyone have any experience with these? I've been thinking about trying a Baja, but I'm worried about intonation on the 3 saddle bridge, although hearing that this bridge gives a more true tele twang. What about the pickups? Are the stock pickups decent? I would prefer not having to switch them out.

2. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

I had a Baja and could set it up pretty well. I would say, don't worry about the intonation problem. The only reason I sold it was its uncomfortable neck. If you don't mind chunky necks, go for it!

3. cult

cult SS.org Regular

4. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

You don't even need to go with the ABM one, Fender make their own intonation adjustable barrel saddles for tele :)

5. kerekem

kerekem SS.org Regular

One of my better decisions was to buy, and later to build a telecaster. Never in my life would have imagined, how versatile they are, and how they 'force' you to play differently. In my experience, because they are built like a tank, you just naturally dig in deeper and play harder and with more dynamic.

Don't worry about the brass saddles, You will be able to achieve a spot on setup. Neither Jim Campilongo nor G.E.Smith ever complained about them... :lol:

6. hypotc

hypotc Music is math

How are the necks on these? My PRS has a Wide Fat Neck, so I'm kind of used to semi-wide necks. Unfortunately my store doesn't have any Baja's in stock atm, so I can't test one yet.

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

What is your price range? I can personally vouch for the vintage '52 Korina or the rosewood neck limited edition. They both are in the $1300-2000 USD range... slightly less used of course. They also both have the better stock tele pickups.

8. TamanShud

TamanShud Finished

Do it! I've owned I think six or seven teles of various quality and price over the last few years and wouldn't hesitate to grab another if I was looking for a six-string. They're super versatile guitars, even with the single coils you can cover a lot of territory plus they sit great in a mix. Some people find the slab body uncomfortable but the Blacktop series and a few others have belly and forearm carves is you don't get on with the flat body.

9. hypotc

hypotc Music is math

I'm trying to get a used one for around £400-500 if I can get someone to ship internationally. I've heard great things about the Baja pickups aswell. It's such a shame I can't try one out, and the local store don't know when they'll restock them.

10. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

I had a 50s Classic Player, that was a real retro piece; tiny frets, 3 saddle ashtray bridge, low output pickups etc, I loved that guitar, I was a fool to sell it. Don't worry about the 3 saddle bridge from an intonation point of view, the only danger is how the little screws poke out of the top of the saddles, it might be uncomfortable particularly if you do a lot of palm muting and rest your hand over the bridge. From that perspective, the modern Tele bridge with flat saddles is an improvement.

As far as I'm concerned the Tele sound is more about the big, flat slab of metal contacting the body and the uniquely voiced pickups that make the tone as opposed to what type of saddles are on there, but your mileage may vary.

11. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

My signature says it all

12. hypotc

hypotc Music is math

After lots of research I'm definitely going for a Baja Telecaster. Found a used one I'm going to buy! The finish on this one is absolutely amazing! :)

[​IMG]

13. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

A friend got one of these a couple of months ago- lovely guitars.

I'd definitely like one in the future.

14. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

So I just picked this one up. It's a modern C neck and it's very comfortable. Kind of like my old Soloist. The Twisted Tele pickup in the neck is very nice, not twangy. The broadcaster in the bridge is twangy and bright. All that said I feel like it's a super versatile guitar

[​IMG]

15. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

16. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

What is that? Is it just the lighting, or is it an all rosewood neck?

17. austink

austink SS.org Regular

I agree that everyone should have a tele in their queue. They are incredibly versatile and there is something fun about playing something so simple.

I have never had issues with the 3 saddles and intonation. Is it perfect? no, but it is damn close.

18. beerandbeards

It is an all rosewood neck! It's reallllllll nice. It's the 2016 American Standard Limited Edition Tele with rosewood neck

19. beerandbeards

20. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I had a Squier CV 50's tele, very nice for the price. Sold it just because I'm playing less and less and wasn't doing it much justice, plus I found I still prefer more modern options.
    Very good for the price, though.

This one
    [​IMG]