Connecting the fingerboard - Visualizing Modes

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Guitarchitect, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Guitarchitect

Guitarchitect SS.org Regular

Hey Everyone,

For those of you interested in connecting the fingerboard (in a way outside of CAGED), I've been excerpting and serializing my mode book online and have put some posts up on visualizing (and ultimately using) modes.

All the examples are 6 string - but are applicable to 7/8 or anything else tuned in 4ths.

The introductory concepts are pretty basic - but will get into more advanced ideas as it goes on. I should be on the Mel. Minor/Harm Minor chapters by October.

This is just one approach among many other valid ones - but it may help you connect the fingerboard a little more.

The GuitArchitect’s Guide To Modes Part 1 – Seeing The Single String Major Scale « Guitarchitecture.org

The GuitArchitect’s Guide To Modes Part 2 – Seeing The Two String Major Scale « Guitarchitecture.org

The GuitArchitect

The GuitArchitect

The GuitArchitect

This may be helpful as well:

Making Music Out Of Scales « Guitarchitecture.org

Everything will get more in depth. But I hope it helps.

If you're new to playing - you may want to check out some of the practicing posts on the site before digging in.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  2. stuglue

stuglue SS.org Regular

Good stuff
    Did you know that you can simply sharpen the root note of a major scale to create the seventh mode of melodic minor, the Altered scale?

3. 28mistertee

28mistertee SS.org Regular

Only had a brief look but this looks awesome, very thorough.
    Is it only online to view as a book or will there be a paper version? (Sorry I'm old fashioned.) :p

4. Guitarchitect

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I already have a couple of print books for sale but I wanted to have some free online resources up as well for people.

Having said that - I will have the modes book for sale eventually in print form for people who want it. But for now - serializing it gives me a chance to expose people to my approach and gives me a chance to edit the text in a different mindset than I'd have with editing a full blown book.

But if there are other questions/comments - I'll do my best to field them. It's also really helpful for me to see what clear in the text and what isn't. That'll help me edit it more effectively.

a lot more stuff is coming up - including disecting individual mode...

Thanks again!

5. 28mistertee

28mistertee SS.org Regular

I'd be definitely interested in a hard copy.
    Where do I sign up? Lol! :)

6. Guitarchitect

Thanks for the interest. You can just subscribe to the blog - then when any updates pop up - you'll get an e-mail.

In the meantime here's part 5 of the series - using a single fingering pattern to play all the modes:

http://guitarchitecture.org/2011/09...-modes-part-5-making-the-most-of-one-pattern/

It's not the most efficient way to get around the fingerboard - but if you're only going to learn 1 shape - this isn't a bad one to know.

I hope it helps!

-Scott

7. Guitarchitect