Complete Dimarzio Pickup Routing Specs/Wiring Diagrams

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TonyFlyingSquirrel, Jan 24, 2010.

1. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

For those of you wanting to make pickup routing templates to exacting tolerances, here you go.

Steve Blucher himself emailed these to me a couple of years ago around the time I started at Warmoth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a bonus, here's some wiring diagrams he's also sent me over the years.

This is the current wire scheme I have in my RG7620, replacing the JPM wire scheme that follows it.
    [​IMG]

JPM
    [​IMG]

JPM minus the tone pot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Negav, odibrom, skeels and 32 others like this.
  2. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

3. Jem7RB

Jem7RB Rootbeer

Awesome !!!

4. Martin_777

Martin_777 7 String Engineer

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

5. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

:bowdown: Yes, I now have wiring diagrams for when I put my DiMarzios in my 7........ Oh, wait; they're already in there. :rofl: Oh well, I can use these for future reference. :yesway:

6. simsklok

simsklok i hate you all

7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

It will certainly work with it, it just depends on what switching options you are looking for.

The options are explained in the summary, such as the first one I posted above. The diagram you posted a link to has a few different options, which are actually the stock switching options on many Ibanez 2 humbucker equipped guitars, such as the RG7620. I just decided that for my applications, having the neck pickup available in either series or parallel made no difference to me. I'd rather have the splitting options as I've chosen as I've found that I'm growing more fond of having some single coil options for my clean tones & that I never play both humbuckers simultaniously in full humbucking mode. It's either one, the other, humbucking or split, or a combination of both split.

To each his own though, that's why there are so many options. The Allparts multipole switch was only $17.00USD so it makes experimenting reasonably affordable.

8. Rich5150

Rich5150 SS.org Regular

TFS thanks for this. I didnt realize i could do th JP split with a tele switch. Ill have to try that this weekend i have a Crunchlab/Liqifire set coming in

9. jacobgenocide7

jacobgenocide7 Jacob-7

im a very beginner at rewiring and i have a guitar i need to fix the wiring in, would someone here be able to make a diagram if i give them the specs?

10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

What kind of guitar, how many pickups, what kind in each position, how many pots, what type of p/u selector switch?

11. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

How come all i can find is 3 way tele style switches, and 5 ways with 12 fucking leads?
    Am i the only person in the world that has a 5 way switch with 8 leads??
    I've never even seen a switch like the 5 way multipole that is in all the diagrams and i'v been wiring my own guitars for years.

12. GreenEyezzz

GreenEyezzz SS.org Regular

Does anyone have a diagram which actually shows what is being switched? I would like to understand what is happening so I can measure out whatever switch I find. Specifically interested in the JPM "center position coil tap hum canceling" switch mode with no tonepot!

Thanks guys!

13. emperor_black

emperor_black SS.org Regular

How does this diagram

[​IMG]

translate to a 3-way switch that looks like this...with all the terminals lined up instead of staggered like in the diagram?

[​IMG]

Also, in the wiring diagram, it says to solder red and green together? I thought always red was hot and that green and bare go to ground. Or is that for the JPM type of connection?

14. Nights_Blood

Nights_Blood Fire and Brimstone

In case you haven't found it.

[​IMG]

Now could anyone help me with this? I want this, except with positions 2 and 4 to be parallel instead of split, while keeping position 3 the same.

[​IMG]

15. TonyFlyingSquirrel

After experimenting with all of these different switching options, I've actually reverted back to standard 3 way switching, no splitting. I've just added a bit more treble on my cleans and found that I have all of the fullness with the clarity by doing that, so I'm back to a standard LP type of 3 way on my TFS6 and a Tele style 3 way blade switch on my RG7620.

I'm still glad to have experimented with these various options, it just helps you solidify the choices you've settled upon after taking the time to scrutinize over the benefits or consequences of each of them.

16. Aerospace274

Aerospace274 Scotty G!

How about 8 string D Activators? :)

17. salewatchesuk

salewatchesuk SS.org Regular

For those of you wanting to make pickup routing templates to exacting tolerances, here you go.

Steve Blucher himself emailed these to me a couple of years ago around the time I started at Warmoth.

18. longfalcon

longfalcon SS.org Regular

how does the EP1111 3-way switch work? i have never been able to find a switching diagram

19. TonyFlyingSquirrel

Unfortunately, I don't have that answer. The only diagram I have is the JPM above, so I couldn't comment on further wire diagrams.

I can only imagine that if you eliminated connecting the (Bridge) white/black and (Neck) red/green wires, you'd have a standard 3 way, with a shorter switch post, which is a complete comfort/feel issue between the EP #1111 and a standard LP styled 3 way.

20. astm

astm SS.org Regular

I think that this should be added to the first post. Took this screenshot from the dimarzio website

[​IMG]