Comey testimony thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by sezna, Jun 8, 2017.

1. sezna

sezna undermotivated

It just started. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGuJjfQSL_I

Most people in my workplace are just watching the stream. The opening comments so far have me pretty encouraged.

"We respect Comey's ability to speak truth to power, which potentially is why he is currently a private citizen....We hope to investigate the Russian links that Comey was originally going to investigate at the expense of his career".

edit: lol @ "this is not fake news" and the sheer number of close up shots of comey's head.

edit2: "Even though I was appointed to a 10 year term, a term created by congress to underscore that the job exists outside of politics"

edit3: comey's smile is great while he is talking. he knows he is gonna wreck some shit

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

He's handling himself very well, IMO. There's a clear undercurrent that he's angry, but he's maintaining a calm, colleged demeanor, and is being extremely open and transparent right to the point where he has to refuse to answer a question publicly.

I doubt there will be any true bombshells dropped in a public hearing, but even just an open confirmation of a lot of the stories (and as I type this, confirmation that Comey believes he was given an order to drop the investigation into Flynn, and that he fully believes he was fired for continuing the Russia investigation) is pretty important here.

3. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I agree. I am impressed with Comey's composure and ability to assess what he can and can't say on the fly, and his outward lack of bias. He also appears to be careful not to say things that can get taken out of context.

If this hearing results in impeachment and it involves the VP, I wonder if the VP can also be disqualified and it will go down to Paul Ryan.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That would be totally unprecidented territory, and we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves.

5. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Just a hypothetical on a guitar forum. I think I am allowed to get ahead of myself. :)

I like Rubio's questions. I also think Rubio and Comey have almost the same tie.
    Is there a responsibility to avoid a conflict of interest on a committee like this? It seems like Rubio, having ran against Trump, might have conflicting interests.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Avoiding conflicts is impossible - every single Democrat has an incentive to impeach him, and every single Republican has an incentive to clear his name so they can get on with tax cuts and an ACA repeal/replace. The best we can hope for is they're both united in a belief uncovering the truth is the best way to advance their aims.

7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Our elected officials are no longer citizens employed by the government to represent their constituents. They're a ruling caste that is immune from repercussions for anything they do or say. Comey could reach into his anus and pull out a flash drive with audio and video footage of Trump breaking his oath, doing something illegal, at least committing some action that would have in the past had a president impeached and removed, but even still I can say beyond a doubt that no such thing would happen.

After the last hearing where there was no legal basis, under oath, for intelligence officials not to answer the questions raised, they were protecting the executive at the expense of that oath... yet not one person suggested that they could be held in contempt of Congress...

8. sezna

sezna undermotivated

uneducated person here. What "last hearing" are you referring to?

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'd take the under on that one. Comey has confirmed obstruction of justice is within the scope of this review, there's pretty decent evidence in the public record that he has done so, and Trump's popularity numbers are flagging. I'd say theres a very real chance that Trump doesn't finish his term.

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

This one! http://www.latimes.com/politics/was...ssential-washington-1496848626-htmlstory.html

maybe "hearing" was the wrong word to use. I am also admittedly not the most educated in these kinds of things.

If that happened it might restore my faith in the US Government's ability to hold itself accountable to some small degree.

11. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Vilk, are you watching this by any chance? Dems and reps alike seem to be pretty interested in actual truth from Comey, and everyone seems pretty eager to put together some real accountability.

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Unfortunately my work computer is not equipped with speakers and I'm not allowed to wear headphones. I guess I can turn on the subtitles. Maybe I'll give that a shot

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm surprised more wasn't made of that, but look at the other side of it - Coats was refusing to say on record whether or not Trump pressured him to drop the investigation. That's pretty telling; I'm not sure what his reasons for not explicitly answering the question were and whether or not they were justified (and remember that the Senate committee is receiving both classified and public unclassified briefings), but implicitly, I think the question was answered very clearly.

I think the biggest revelation so far has been the Mueller's investigation is explicitly investigating whether or not Trump's activities constitute obstruction of justice, and Comey is providing pretty clear evidence that Trump tried to get him to shut the investigation down.

sezna likes this.
  14. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I think it might instill some optimism in you :)

"Mr. Blunt" (the R from Missouri I think?) just asked Comey about why he took no action immediately and Comey said that no action was the most important thing he did so as not to interfere with the Russian investigation. Then Blunt keeps trying to make him look guilty as if he was hiding the influence from Trump. Hm...

edit:
    Absolutely. The fact that they are investigating obstruction and that separately the FBI is investigating potential treason (what I assume from Comey's comments about "being hired by a foreign government) is good news to me.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

vilk likes this.
  16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Man, Comey's response to Sen. Cotton's question on if he believed Trump had colluded... He refused to answer, but the way he did - it would have been easy to say that at the time of his departure there was no evidence to suggest he did, but instead he hedged like crazy, that it wasn't a question he could answer in a public forum, that it was within the scope of the investigation to determine, etc.

Comey believes Trump DID collude with Russia, I think. He just can't say it publicly. That's fucking unsettling.

17. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Im watching a little behind, haven't gotten to that part yet. I'm currently at the part where he talks about skipping dinner with his wife to eat with Trump. I like that Comey straight up called Trump out for lying three or four times in the past five minutes.

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

...and, notably, none of the Republicans questioning him are contesting this. There's a lot of things that need to be digested here, but one of the bigger ones, I think, is that Republican senators are trusting Comey's word over Trump's, and no one has really questioned or debated in any substantial manner that Trump fired Comey over the Russia investigation. That bodes very poorly for Trump.

By the way, the exchange on Comey canceling date night with his wife was pretty good, huh? :lol:

19. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Correct. Mr. Blunt seemed to be the only one being somewhat aggressive towards Comey, but Mr. Lankford (R - Oklahoma) is getting a lot of original points and good information. I really like his questions. Note that Comey himself was a registered Republican up until recently.

This hearing is showing some real bipartisan work.

Trump has not tweeted once yet. Think some of his workers are holding his phone hostage from him?

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The White House media plan was to try to keep him distracted. :lol:

Even before today, the Senate effort HAS been significantly more bipartisan than the House one, and while there's some clear partisanship, there is also what appears to be a decent willingness to try to get to the bottom of this.

Actually, CNBC has Trump on a split screen, and he's giving a speech right now. That means he's not watching, and the White House strategy is working. :lol: I guess for all the "deep state" controversy on the right, there's also a deep state trying to SUPPORT Trump. :lol: