Coil filters and you!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by SirMyghin, Aug 24, 2011.

1. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Anyone else every played with coil filters? I must say I have never had quite as much urge as I do right now to drill another hole in my already extremely cluttered control cavity. The story of the day - Coil Filters.

Now we all like humbuckers I am sure, but they can get a touch muddy at times, especially the neck ones. A humbucker cancels out noise, and some frequencies along the way in order to do its job, some of us really like that bitey single coil tone too.

In comes a coil filter. Fun111 can be shot on sight for planting this idea in my head. In a normal serial humbucker linkage, you have the south and north finish wires tied together. What happens if you insert a capacitor to this linkage and ground the 2nd leg of the cap (so attach both finish to 1 leg and other leg to ground). What is going to happen is you will bleed off the highs from a single coil, much like a tone knob.

Let's take this a step farther, lets put a 'tone knob' in that linkage, wire the coil finishes to 1 side, and the wiper to a cap. You can adjust a low pass filter for a single coil, big deal you say, you are losing highs from that one coil right? Wrong. By bleeding off the highs from the one coil you are effectively BRIGHTENING your signal. The lost highs now no longer cancel the highs of the other coil, giving you all the humbucker fatness at the bottom, and a lot more bite/brightness at the top.

I recently tried this on my neck bucker of my H-H guitar, temporarily commandeering the tone pot. For those who don't know my H-H guitar is a tonal chameleon, it has a master mode for both pickups of series/split/parallel, out of phase, and a 3 way switch. Normally that is enough to get by for a guy, but not this one. So I took my series/split/parallel wiring and the jumper for series mode (spans from 2-4 on a DPDT switch) was intercepted and sent to the tone pot for the neck pickup (I don't think you can do both pickups on a common pot without a switch to go between or one of those HCPs, I wager there would be some pickup cross talk). So I gave it a try with a 0.022 cap. Meh

Then I decided to up the anti and put in a .047 cap, for a guy who thinks a .022 is too much for buckers on a tone knob this was a leap of faith. Damn it made the difference though. Now I could introduce so much bit to the neck, or sweetness on top that a neck humbucker usually has 'muted' clean. I tried it clean and driven to see the difference and driven it is a wonderful beast. Instead of dull, boring power chords they gained a whole bucket full of bite.

This will ofcourse introduce a chance for noise but it is pretty freaking awesome. Thing is I need my tone pot too, so it looks like it is modding season again. With a push/pull pot I could rig this up to be useful for either pickup. (neck down, bridge up). Would need a brad point bit to drill first though.

No sound clips available unfortunately, my interface is lent out to a friend.

Anyone else fiddled with coil filtering?

helferlain, Rook, Sephael and 5 others like this.
  2. shanejohnson02

shanejohnson02 Hammer of the Gods

I haven't messed with it yet...

...but I will now. This sounds pretty legit.:yesway:

3. SirMyghin

I would give you a clip if I could, but I lent my interface for a friend to track some MIDI drums with. A dual gang pot would be pretty ideal for this.

4. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

Dude. I can't even fit a single new pot into my guitar, fuck you for emasculating my S540 because I want to try this bad, real bad.

5. helferlain

helferlain D.I.Y. autodidact

Yes, indeed! Great idea! Right in time for my rewire project. I own my first HH-guitar since a few days and missing the single coil brighntness a lot.

Could you please draw a circuit diagram or wiring diagram to illustrate the whole idea?

I'm going to replace the 3-way toggle switch with a 6x6-way rotary switch for pickup choice. There should be room for some fixed capacitors. This may need some time for testing but I prefer carefully chosen fixed sounds to undefined tone pots.

6. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

I thought about this when I was doing filters in electronics school, pictures of your electronics cavity please!

7. CD1221

CD1221 SS.org Regular

that sounds several shades of interesting.......but can't you brighten the neck by combining it with the bridge?

I expect your guitar looks like it used to be owned by Frank Zappa, with switches and crap all over the place.

8. SirMyghin

CD - naw, 2 pots 1 switch and a blade, most of it is stealth mode.

Theo - Pictures of the control cavity won't help, so much crap going on in there it can't really be photographed. That aside I needed my tone pot back, so I had to rewire it back to 'stock'. Yes, I rewired my guitar for a period of about 1.5 hours just to try something, bite me :lol:

Helferian, it is identical to a tone pot, connected to the series linkage of the pickup. If you want to get really fancy/lazy PMT makes a Humbucker Control Pot that can do it for you (for 30$), and then you can wire up both pickups and get inner or outer coil filtering and the like. That is the simplest way to do it, it might actually be the way I end up doing it at the end due to the extreme level of functionality. A bit expensive though for something I can do myself for 10-15$ though. Except for the switching which coil is filterred part, not sure how I would do that they way their thing is set up.

9. shanejohnson02

shanejohnson02 Hammer of the Gods

Didn't the old Equires have something similar? I know it was just a single bridge single-coil, but they had switches with different filters, I believe.

I'm liking this idea more and more...I'm going to order another Carvin before the year is out, and I think this would be awesome to try. Maybe a push-push tone knob to switch the filter in and out? hmmm....

10. helferlain

helferlain D.I.Y. autodidact

Tested and approved :yesway: ! Tried the tone pot on both of the pickups a few moments ago. Now I'm going to spend a few cents for some capacitors to find the perfect sound. Thank you, sir!

11. SirMyghin

Glad I could help Helferlain, I orderred one of these bad boys

HCP Humbucker Control Pot w/ Coil Filters

I figured I could have got by slightly cheaper with a concentric pot, but then the knob costs double too... Then if I wanted some orange drops I need to buy them in sets of 2, and would want to experiment..... Needless to say it wasn't going to be any cheaper :lol: This has some cool features too.

Esquires had a filter in the sense of a tone pot, without the pot, Just a cap. It is the same idea as here, but without using humbuckers. On a single coil you can't really replicate this effect. Esquires were something like On, filter, and bypass controls no?

12. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

They had a few different filters you could switch between on the selector.

13. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I don't know how many holes you have for pots in your guitar, but I immediately thought about the Fender TBX tone knobs. It's a dual pot with a detent in the center position, and normally the two sides are wired together to bleed off treble in one direction, and to brighten up the treble in the other, which feels like you're rolling off the bass.

I'm going to be putting one into my Intrepid 828 when I get the passive Dimarzio D-Activator 8s from Tom Drinkwater's group buy (Dimarzio is taking its time, since Tom is a small fish). I might try doing the mod two ways, one with the TBX wired normally, and one with the TBX wired into bleed a coil on the normal bass roll-off side.

Interesting idea in any case, SM!

14. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

Would it be possible to have this in conjunction with 'buckers wired in parallel?

15. SirMyghin

I don't think it will work. What happens in series is you provide the highs of one coil with an easier path than going through the second coil. You can't quite replicate that in parallel as you have 2 independant paths, both of which need to be followed. You need to filter it after it has already generated the sound not before, and comparatively that path should be very very low resistance I would think.

As far as when I wired it up, no it did nothing in parallel mode. I am still waiting on my new toys to come in.

16. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

thanks, just what I needed, more reasons to paint to paint my next guitar orange-ish yellow and name it swiss cheese

17. Rook

Rook Electrifying

:D

I love torturing you, Kyle :lol:

I told you, though, didn't I? I haven't put it on any of my guitars at the moment because I haven't settled on one yet (long story) but when I do I will.

For those asking how it's wired, basically put a tone pot between the coils, so in the case of a Seymour Duncan, between the red and white wires, so the resistance of the pot to ground, and a cap coming off the wiper back to the other finish cable (the red or white depending on which you wired to the first pot lug). It works the other way round too, high pass filtering a coil but it's far more discreet.