CNN threatens reddit user over meme...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by vick1000, Jul 5, 2017.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I think people are forgetting what "news" actually means/is.

This is a rather recent event. The identity of the guy is unknown. I think the PotUS posting it personally shows the last part given our nation's support of the free press.

Dismissing something you feel is irrelevant as "not news" or "fake news" does not in fact make it so. It just makes it irrelevant to you.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Nobody in here dropped the "fake news" trope, so I don't think it's fair to paint with that brush. It is irrelevant. The fact that the President is constantly tweeting childish and divisive shit like this is newsworthy, but the troll posts of a single private citizen aren't. As far as I can tell he hasn't threatened violence against anybody.

Even if one doesn't consider how CNN handled this to be unethical, it at the very least seems like a total waste of time. What public gain would be had from revealing his identity? It's nice for outrage clicks, I guess.

I'll bow out now. I'm just repeating myself at this point.

Edited for grammar

3. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    So, here's a question:

Should CNN have just published their sourced and verified story as planned?

4. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Caught? Caught how? What crime did he commit? Posting his ideas and a meme?

Look, I don't agree with what the guy posts or his apparent ideology, but he has every right to express it publicly. Where is any evidence that he "begged" or was "desperate"?

schwiz likes this.
  5. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

They should have passed it over and stuck to #Russia.

schwiz likes this.
  6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Why not?

But here's the more pertinent question:

Why should anyone care?

Are you implying that if an event is recent and the identity of the person responsible for the even is unknown, and the PotUS does the same thing, it makes the event newsworthy?

By those criteria, is the turd left in the employee bathroom where I work newsworthy? Was it recent? Yes, this morning. Is the identity of the person responsible known? No. Does Trump also go to the bathroom? I assume so.

Relevance is, of course, relative. But, rather than just saying that relevance is relative and leaving it at that, how was the CNN meme story relevant to anyone on ss.o before CNN started making threats over it? Maybe I'm missing something, but reddit users post incendiary memes on an hourly basis, and, at a glance, the one in question here is no different. If the reason it is newsworthy boils down to something like "because the kid who posted it is a racist," then I think it's safe to say that still doesn't make it stand out. If the reason boils down to "because the president reposted it," well, as I already pointed out, Trump reposts all sorts of memes, that do not get reported. So, maybe I'm totally wrong here, so feel free to disprove this hypothesis, but, maybe, it's a news story because CNN wrote a report on it, and not strongly for any other reason.

7. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

The reason CNN felt it was "news worthy" is because it was Trump getting one over on them again. So some idiot at CNN figured they would try to blow it out of proportion and claim it was a violent attack on the network, meant to incite violence against it's reporters. Which is of course utter nonsense, as the meme (like all memes) is a parody meant to incite humor.

coupe89 likes this.
  8. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

^ Yup.

It is probably one of their top clickbait newstories of the month. Mission accomplished.

These orgs aren't in the "news" business anymore. They are in the "attention/click-seeking" business.

An unfortunate side effect of a few things:

1) No one PAYS for news anymore, and you get what you pay for...
    2) Social Networking - The reactions and comments to news stories are just as important as the stories themselves
    3) Nobody cares to evaluate anything anymore objectively. They'll say "don't feed the bears" while at Yellowstone, and "I want more programs to help the homeless" when they get back to the city.

schwiz likes this.
  9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Jeez, next thing you know they're going to be trying to say that bears are different from homeless people!

10. TedintheShed

TedintheShed SS.org Regular

This is a threat, and not only against the person that created the meme but against any other powerless private citizen that would do something similar.

coupe89 likes this.
  11. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Agreed. I would not be surprised if some kind of action was taken towards CNN if they posted the meme creator's personal info.

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Why is that? Doesn't this count as investigative journalism? If your actions are traceable, why would you assume your anonymity is a right?

13. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

^ If your VOTE is traceable, why would you assume your anonymity is a right? (Voter ID)

^ If your TAXES are traceable, why would you assume your anonymity is a right? (Illegal immigration)

^ If your MEDICAL HISTORY is traceable, why would you consider your anonymity is a right? (universal healthcare)

^ If your INTERNET USAGE is traceable, why would you consider your anonymity is a right? (net neutrality)

Almost every aspect of our lives centers around a right to privacy.

A leftist will tell you to "trust government" with regards to your anonymity, or will tell you you don't deserve any based on your political affiliation. UNLESS it falls on the wrong side of one of the issues I listed above....

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

These are not examples of a right to privacy, these are case by case, where the particular system provides conditions over your anonymity. You go into town and see a movie. A reporter sees you there and decides to write it up in the paper. They are free to do so. You had no inherent right to privacy. You drop a painting in the middle of town, but someone sees you do it. They're under no obligation to not disclose this information. If privacy is important to you, participating in publicly viewable forums is not recommended...

15. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Aside from the fact that these are not examples of a right to privacy:

Only the fact that you showed up to vote is traceable, not how you voted. It may be possible that the vote itself is traceable, but you'll need to provide proof of that being the case if you want to make the claim.

There is no right to privacy regarding taxes, but even if there were, what does that have to do with illegal immigration?

Your medical history has been traceable in the US long before any type of universal healthcare was even a gleam in the eyes of your "leftist" foes because the private insurance companies need to measure their risk before writing an insurance policy so they can charge accordingly.

Aside from the fact that making internet usage untraceable is not the goal of net neutrality, you may have a point here - who in this day believes that internet usage is anonymous?

Not really. Nothing you do in public is private.

Yet the most serious violations of privacy rights have come from the right side after 9/11...

vilk likes this.