CNN threatens reddit user over meme...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by vick1000, Jul 5, 2017.

1. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

2. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

JoshuaVonFlash and narad like this.
  3. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

A 15 year old kid made the meme, yet was "asked" to take it down. Badly worded for sure.

4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html

"CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.
    CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change."

An excerpt from the article that I figured is worth mentioning.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  5. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

Is that more or less of a veiled threat than, "I hope you can let this go...."?

Goose and Gander....

6. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby SS.org Regular

I don't think there's anything veiled about it. It's pretty overt that CNN will publish his identity if he does anything else they "don't like". I'm sure the average internet troll would capitulate if CNN (or any other media outlet) was holding their future over their head.

But, maybe that's the best way to stop all the trolling. Just personally assign an IP address to each person like a SSN, and you'll never be able to say or do anything viewed as "mean or offensive" on the internet ever again.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The story sounds more like "CNN becomes an internet meme, responds by behaving like an internet meme."

CNN has done some good reporting in the past, but they've always had a little tinge of controversy around them. I don't think this is the "end of CNN," or anything like that, but, if their executives are smart, they'll keep this attitude in check moving forward.

8. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This guy isn't some whistleblower exposing a corrupt government or an informant to a high level gang prosecution.

He's a racist dick who deserves none of the martyrdom he's gathered.

He has every right to be the shithead that he is. Power to him. But I have every right to think he's a shithead and call him out on it. Just like his friends, family, coworkers etc. have every right to either decide it's okay or not okay with them the quality of person he is.

No one is calling for his arrest, at least anyone worth listening to.

The Internet is still viewed as the Wild West. In many ways it is. I can see how uncomfortable the idea of what you post anonymously being assigned to you can be. I know I wouldn't want everything I've ever said or done on the internet being blasted out to the masses, but then I'm also not purposely being a terrible human being because technology has allowed me to do so without the risk of being challenged.

I think CNN did threaten him to some degree. Heck, I'd still be scared if I had to hide this stuff from my family and others and anyone knew it was me, let alone a media giant who leans against my beliefs. I'd be scared shitless.

I guess what I'm trying to say is fuck this guy. He's actively making this world suck a tiny bit more. But also, fuck CNN for being too stupid and unaware to let this clusterfuck happen and go this far. Jeez.

ferret, Edika, Xaios and 3 others like this.
  10. bostjan

:agreed:

Too many situations in the news lately where someone does something bad, and then the group wronged responds with something worse.

11. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Years ago, there was much talk in certain music circles about someone who had lied to get into the US after setting off a car bomb in the UK. He was being held in US custody because a US judge thought he might not get a fair trial back in the UK.

The Americans involved in our discussions felt that this person was being treated unfairly (being held) and claimed that the US givernment should follow the law... except they didn't want the US to follow the actual law (return the person to the UK for trial) but instead for this person to be given entrance to the US after the terrorist attack.

I did start arguing that the US should follow the law and send the terrorist back. That shifted the conversation, with them now having to argue that the Us shouldnt follow the law (turning away a terrorist) but instead should embrace his terrorist action and give him access to the US.

----

I'm reminded of this because I doubt CNN started out with, "We'll publish your name unless you stop with the racism, antisemitism and other chit which would reduce your quality of life if eceryone found out how chitty you really are when people aren't watching you."

Instead, I think CNN likely gave him the opportunity to respond and comment before they published the story, and this guy begged them not to publish his name, in spite of it being newsworthy and accurate.

CNN didn't solicit the guy to take his stuff down. This guy knew he was caught, and wanted to escape the consequences (social, employment, etc.) of his actions. He bgged CNN to not publish his name, claiming he had seen the light and was deleting the offensive content because of that light.

CNN decided to cut the guy a break, assuming he was sincere, but made it clear that if the guy was just faking his begging, they would publish upon his showing he was just faking it.

It's not blackmail. It's just some desperate scumbag who begged for a break to save his marriage and job in the short term, and a news agency deciding to cut him that break... but not being willing to keep cutting that break if the scumbag starts crowing about gaslighting the agency.

Edika likes this.
  12. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Not that it should matter, but I consider myself a liberal. Voted for Bernie Sanders in the primaries, and, not enthusiastically, for Clinton in the general election. I'm horrified by the Trump presidency, yada yada.

I think this is completely indefensible, and what a shitbag this guy may or may not be is completely beside the point. It's a threat to dox him, and I think we all know there's a good chance that whatever backlash the dude would get would not be proportional, for just making a dumb meme. He'd probably be harrassed by an online mob, and his name may come up linked to this story if potential future employers Google him. A major news organization has a lot of power, and this is abusing it.

13. Explorer

Doxing, as employed by the alt-right of which this guy is a part, is releasing someone's contact information for harrassment.

Reporting on a news story because it is newsworthy is not doxing.

CNN found the guy, but it turns out the guy deleted his stuff and approached CNN to beg them not to report his name as part of the story. CNN didn't propose any agreement or agree to be bound by one, and it was all on the meme maker.

Here's a real story of doxing.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/10/us/avalanche-of-hate-daily-stormer-lawsuit/index.html

The difference is pretty clear.

14. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Releasing a regular person's contact info with the knowledge that they'll probably be harrassed, over an inconsequential meme, isn't much better than releasing with the explicit goal of harassment.

Your semantic argument aside, nothing in your post really addressed my point. Whether or not he approached them first doesn't matter. What happened to that woman is horrible. What she put up with may be worse than what the meme maker would have endured had his info been released, but we don't know, because it hasn't happened, and it wouldn't matter anyway. Whether his suffering was greater or lesser, he would have suffered. Over a stupid meme.

Take that meme, replace Trump with Clinton, and the floating CNN head with Fox News, and have Fox handle the situation the same way. Are you OK with that?

FILTHnFEAR and Mike like this.
  15. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I agree with you. Something like this is not going to help CNN's credibility as a news organization at all to put it that way.

16. Explorer

Too bad for your persecution tale that it didn't happen as you just outlined, and at no time did CNN indicate they would release contact information.

As an example of reporting without doxing, the murders of four men by Cosmo DiNardo is a news story. The media didn't release addresses or phone numbers, but DiNardo's actions were newsworthy. So are Antisemite Meme Guy's, and Josh Duggar's, and the merry Phelps family.

The reason the legitimate media (as opposed to the blogosphere) verifies information and sources is to avoid misreporting, but they do still report.

I think the lesson to be learned here is that rather than face criticism, the press should just have reported the story as is without holding back, letting the antisemite comment if he wished of course.

17. bostjan

That's my biggest concern with the entire story. "Antisemite Meme Guy" didn't do anything newsworthy. He made an animated gif and posted it on reddit. There was nothing about that animated gif that made it different from a hundred others until it was reposted by the tweeter in chief. Even then, coming from a guy who tweets political gifs and memes as if it's his full time job, I don't see why this was a news story until CNN threatened a guy over it. If CNN's actions are what made the story newsworthy, then it's all back on them.

18. Explorer

Some might not think antisemitism and racism are newsworthy.

----

A while ago, I hit the report button on a topic here because it certainly looked like a sex crime, as the topic was encouraging redistribution of stolen nude pictures. Some people thought it was wrong to consider that particular theft and redistribution as a bad thing.

Similarly, some here thought it was unfair to consider a guitar builder's antigay remarks as negative things.

You don't think the festering underbelly of antisemitism in the US is newsworthy? Then this story would obviously disappear immediately due to lack of interest.

I believe that you're instead arguing, although indirectly for some reason, that the trolling this guy did in public, which affects others, shouldn't affect him.

Me? I think if he didn't want to be known as antisemitic in public, he should have kept his antisemitic axtions out of the public square. It's ridiculous to argue for the right to privacy of someone yelling in public.

19. bostjan

No, I don't think one particular racist brat posting an animated gif on reddit is newsworthy.

If you do, then you must be really really upset that CNN isn't spending >10 hours a day keeping us updated on the tens of thousands of 13 year old kids posting memes on reddit and 9gag.

watson503 and Smoked Porter like this.
  20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think the majority people don't think of those as newsworthy. Not because they aren't important, but because they aren't new. The fact that some people don't like some other people is older than the concept of "the news" itself. We're not discussing this because of the views represented in the meme, we all know there's all types of a**holes in the world, but we're discussing this because of CNNs reaction. If the threatening wording had never been used, I don't think anyone would know or care about some random guys reddit post or whatever it was. I *still* don't care about said random post. I do care about the precedent being set that a giant news corporation might go out of their way to identify me if I post something they don't like on the internet- which, relatively speaking, IS new, and therefore newsworthy.