Cloverfield sequel/spinoff, "10 Cloverfield Lane" coming out in March

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 15, 2016.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

JJ did a DAMN good job keeping this under wraps.

setsuna7 likes this.
  2. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Just saw this on Facebook. One of the worst monster movies ever. And there has been speculation for years of a sequel. I can't believe it is finally happening.

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

what!!!, cloverfield was awesome!

loved the concept of it, yes of course it has its "holliwood moments" but i love it

either way, this trailer its been done amazingly, great approach and editing, but... doesnt really tell me much about whats the movie about... which is still kinda cool, so no spoilers

4. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I watched it a few times as a kid, but that's about it. It just wasn't a good monster movie. It has way more than just a few "Hollywood moments" and it has a lot of straight-up BAD moments. The whole "POV handcam" or " found footage" thing has been done for decades. I'm pretty sure Rec., Cannibal Holocaust, and The Blair Witch Project are the more prominent examples - all of which execute the film device better. And then of course, you have the more current examples such as: District 9, Quarantine, and the Paranormal Activity franchise.

5. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Sure found footage has been en vogue since Blair Witch, but Cloverfield stands out to me as one of the first to mix found footage with big budget special effects. The idea of a huge "event" taking place around you and constantly questioning your personal safety... that was a bit new for this genre, and the format was part of what kept you in the dark, so I thought it served the purpose well.

As for the youtube vid, the guy's name - Hud - is obviously not a Paul Newman reference but a play on heads up display. I forgot they were shooting digital so I never realized the artifacts that slowly unveil a bit of prologue are completely nonsensical, but honestly these "movie sins" don't really detract from the experience of the movie. We're not exactly nit-picking the film in the context of an academy award nomination ;-)

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I really liked Cloverfield when I first saw it, I've gotten really sick of found footage films since so I doubt I will ever watch it again but the sequel looks like it has potential.

7. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

I enjoyed the first one.

This trailer was pretty confusing. Mixed feelings haha

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah Im a follower of cinema sins and /i have wathed that and also all the other movies you mention. But also remember Cloverfield was made in the early stages of those kinds of films, not now when people got bored of that kind of cinema.

the fact that was made using "find hand made footage" was the thing I love the movie the most. I remember when it was at the cinemas a bunch of friends hated the movie because "there wasnt enough explanation of what the monster was or where it came from".... I was like you idiots, thats the whole F point of the movie, that one day you are fine and sudenly BAM! a big Ass monster outside your door, what would you do now?

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

I dunno, 8 minutes for a Cinema Sins video isn't that bad.

EDIT: Also, it's ....ing Cinema Sins. They nitpick EVERYTHING. They've nitpicked the original Star Wars movies, The Incredibles, and other highly-acclaimed movies. I seriously hope you weren't serious when you posted that video.

10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

^^^ that

11. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

So what ARE good monster movies? None of the others you mention there qualify. And those sorts of youtube videos are so bankrupt, all they do is teach people to focus on the most minor bull.... about whatever movie is popular so they can snarkily bring it up to anyone they encounter who liked something. They are horrible, lazy film criticism and they make them about EVERYTHING. It's the film equivalent of that "your fave is problematic" site where they list everything that could offend anyone, SJW or otherwise, that any celebrity has ever done. Though I think that site is tongue in cheek.

Cloverfield is a lot more prominent than Rec or Cannibal Holocaust, barely anyone has heard of those. I like Rec more than it and think Cannibal Holocaust was more "important," but Cloverfield is infinitely more rewatchable than any of the them. As for the others you mentioned, Quarantine is a bad remake, District 9 isn't found footage (it's just filmed like an Office episode or The Shield or something) and all of the Paranormal Activity movies blow chunks, besides the first, which is merely weak. I'd put it in the upper echelon of "found footage," and I think the effects sequences before they go into the sewer are some of the best ever committed to film. Great, great monster movie and one of the best uses of the found footage device. The opening 20 minutes is easily skipped on home video. :p

I will not be surprised if this film has almost nothing to do with Cloverfield, he quite possibly just put the title on it to get people to freak out and postulate. The only reference to Cloverfield in the first film was that very beginning where they say it was the name of the military operation, so maybe it's just his nonsense title for what will be an anthology series (ex, how Halloween III tried to do that with that franchise). The title was originally nothing to do with the film and just the code name they used in the trades.

12. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

I don't care about that type of video cause my opinion is what matters to me, if I like it, I like it no matter even if the whole universe hates it.
    But I always watch those videos to see things I missed, some were so obvious but when you're enjoying a movie sometimes your focus is pointed to another thing.I'll never watch any movie searching for mistakes, just like with music I just let it takes me wherever it wants to take me.I never listen to music thinking about whatever scales they're playing etc, since I was a kid, every time I get a new album I turn off the lights and let it take me to..............paradise/hell.
    I never watch movies trailers cause there's nothing more pleasurable to me then going to a movie only knowing its name.
    Why the hell watch trailers?!
    Let it surprises you ;)

13. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Haha totally loved the first one! Went in knowing as little as possible about it and left having enjoyed the film.

Really looking forward to this one. . . plus its got Dan Conner in it, how could it be bad

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Cloverfield is interesting in that I saw it in theaters and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    And have never even thought about it once or tried to watch it or even felt like I want to watch it again since. I still don't even care about seeing it again. But I would like to see the new one in theaters.

It's like a Universal Studios ride or something.

15. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

16. DanicaL

DanicaL SS.org Regular

John Goodman can make anything good. I loved the first movie, I hope they incorporate some of the first person visuals like they did in the first.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

18. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

thats exactly why i have a soft spot for cloverfield. the very fact that you left the theatre with more questions than answers. the fact that you are just as confused as the characters in the movie. i thought it was brilliant

its also a movie that kept me at the edge of my seat for a better part of the movie. not too many movies do that for me.

and i also loved its advertising being so secretive where the commercials showed you nothing. even the movie hardly showed the monster.

compare that to godzilla where even if things are explained, i keep saying 'are you kidding me? oh wait, now you are explaining about how you're serious....are you KIDDING ME?!'

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

20. HeHasTheJazzHands