Cloudiness in finish developing?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by narad, Oct 2, 2017.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Now this is disappointing... pulled my Parker Fly out of the closet prior to ship. It's been in there for probably 3 month now. And there's just a cloudiness visible all over the finish. It has become really quite thick in this one patch between the lower horn and controls -- hard to photograph, but I think it gets the point across...

[​IMG]IMG_2566[/url] by Jason Naradowsky, on Flickr[/IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not as prevalent on the top horn area, but I think it's still having an effect when you get it at the right angle. That patch at the bottom is just there regardless of how you view it.

Anyone know the cause / fix? It's from the Washburn Parker era. I've heard of this developing in cheap guitars (and Viks...haha) over say the first 6 months of ownership, but not something this delayed, that came on so quickly, and without any additional play. I let someone else play it in the spring before it went to storage...maybe he has toxic hands ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

the only sure way to fix it (imo) is a sanding & relacquering... doubt you wanna do that to such a nice fly tho :0 blooming is usually due to moisture or temperature (e.g. Too cold while spraying)

Is it nitrocellulose? Has it been refinished before?

3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Sort of in the dark as to what the finish is -- Seems like poly, not refinished before. I mean, maybe Marty Bell could take a stab at it for a couple hundred (I hope!)

4. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Maybe the gods are punishing you for keeping such an amazing instrument in a closet instead of making sweet sweet love to it.

5. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Maybe the finish has lifted from that area. I have a similar problem on a nearly 40 year old Yamaha semi-hollowbody. Don't know if there is anything you can do about it.

6. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

I have seen something like this due to moisture but I don't that's what you have going on. Def leave it out of the case for a while someplace warm, dry and maybe even somewhat sunny...can't hurt.

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

^^ Yea, will give it a try after all my gear gets shipped to its next destination. A real bummer though, as I did have it out for 30 minutes a few weeks ago. Either I didn't notice or it came on fast, but it wasn't a particularly hot or humid summer either. I'm quite baffled.