Click/Backing track/FOH mix for live drummer

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Element0s, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

Hey folks,

this realm is very new territory for me so please have patience!

My band has decided that we want to get our drummer on a pair of cans so he can play to a click, activate a couple samples (or just play to a backing track) and get a live mix of the band from the board. We want to avoid using a laptop onstage if at all possible.

Getting a click/backing track seems relatively simple to me. We could do the poor man's route and hard pan the backing tracks into one mono channel in Reaper, hard pan the click+backing track into another mono channel and use a cheap little mixer to send the appropriate channel where it needs to go. So for this setup, we'd need an MP3 player (or similar) to play the track on, a cable to route it into a small mixer with a handful of outs, then run the backing track to FOH with a DI, correct?

Now, what if we also want to get a live mix from FOH into our drummers cans? Then what would we need?

I've seen a couple things on the market like the Roland SPD-SX and also Di Dock Live (which appears to be discontinued?) which all seem to be pretty cool and powerful units. However, with my limited knowledge of pro audio, I have trouble telling if hardware like this will fulfill all our needs.

Any thoughts?

2. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Either a phone or an SPD will work, as long as you have the proper files and routing. Heres the basic gist of how that would work:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Element0s

You are an absolute legend. It looks so simple when you draw it like that, haha! The Hypothetical AUX from FOH, that's just gonna be an XLR connection in most cases? Like a sound tech would run that through the snake onto the stage?

4. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Correct, assuming the main snake to the FOH position has return lines. If not, you may have to either forego the idea of a band mix for the night, or get creative with turnarounds (gender-bender adapters)

5. Element0s

Okay, good to know! Thanks so much for your help!