Clean Up Your Youtube

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Petar Bogdanov, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Guys, if you're browsing YouTube without a Video Blocker, you're exposed to the website shoving endless Jared Dines and Music Is Win videos down your throat, no matter how much you don't click them.

Use this extension for Chrome:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-blocker/jknkjnpcbbgcbdbaampbjlhkcghmgfhk?hl=en

Or Firefox, hey, they actually resumed development and it's on par now:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-blocker/?src=api

Be free to block:
    • channels - with just a right-click on their video
    • videos by keyword - contest, vlog, q&a, viewers' comments, unboxing, bias, gibson
    • videos by regex - for example, "/top \d+/gi" gets rid of all TOP 10 SADDEST ANIME DEATHS
    Blocking videos with a red circle and arrow in the thumbnail is still unsupported.

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I think Jared Dines videos should be a prosecutable offense. His vids are tiresome; at least Alex Jones videos are enjoyable if you're a fan of wrestling promos, which I am.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Or you could just... you know... not watch the videos you don't want to watch. :lol:

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

eeeemmm you know that once you scroll down the "recomended for you" section where they start recomnd you channels you can click on "not interested", and presto! no more of that channel in your recomendations tabs?

also, as long as you dont click and watch a Jared Dines video, you wont get it on your list, you might get it if you watch any of the others guys videos, but in general the less you watch those videos, the less you are gonna see them there. If you watch only guitar related stuff, then yeh it might appear there, but again,scroll down and click "not interested"

also Im not sure if Im wrong but blocking adds doesnt affect youtubers and their income?, I think it was the case, reason why I ahvent block them, its only a few seconds

5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

also while we talking about cleaning up social media stuff, I know its not too realted, but you can do the same with Facebook.

You know when you have that stupid friend who keeps sharing that stupid photo of "tag a friend who would do this" retarded/attentiongrab/clickbait kinda post that at the end only works to boost likes on the OP post ...... You can click on the top right corner, open up all the options and find "hide everything from X page". This is how I cleaned up my facebook from "news" channels accounts, buzzfeed, and stupid accounts like buzzfeed. Takes a while, but if you do it with every stupid post you come accross, eventually you would kill all those stupid sites and your facebook news feed would look pretty clean once more and facebook would become bit more enjoyable like once was

6. Petar Bogdanov

Rather simplistic, don't you think? Less bombastic videos will get less of your attention, so you're just like, scrolling through a sea of crap and click the first video you recognize. That's not how you get the best content, so it pays to block channels with nothing to say and topics that you're done with.

Doesn't work properly.

This is just for the actual videos, not for the ads.

Stilicho likes this.
  7. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

LISTEN FUCKHEAD - AND I'VE NEVER CURSED ON THIS SHOW IN 20 YEARS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN - BUT IF YOU'RE GONNA CALL ME A FOREIGN AGENT, THEN THE GLOVES ARE OFF

8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

People can talk shit all they like about Alex, but he's the best promo in wrestling today. I think he could kick the shit outta Kevin Owens. :lol:

And he's cussed a lot on his show. Also, fuck off YouTube. Trying to find a video is just so lovely now thanks to your dog shit algorithm.

I described him to a friend as being "The Ultimate Warrior of cutting promos on globalists." I'm surprised Alex didn't ask, "How should I prepare for the globalists you must ask yourself? Should I lay on the lawn and let them run over me with lawnmowers!?" "I LIVE FOR ANGER AND FRUSTRATION! COMBAT IS WHAT IT SHALL BEEEEEE!"

Edika and Stilicho like this.
  9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I don't mind listening to Alex Jones because I have functioning brain cells that allow me to understand his only input is the comedic and entairtenment factor.

The problem is that there is a lot of people that do take him seriously...

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Yup. Simple is good. Why makes things complicated for the sake of complicated?

I have zero issues with controlling where my attention goes. I also don't concern myself with always getting THE BEST CONTENT. I don't need to max out every aspect of my life, especially the bits like YouTube's whose role in my life is literally to waste time, so who cares what the content is. There's is zero lost by accidentally noticing that something I don't have interest in exists.

bostjan likes this.
  11. Petar Bogdanov

My bad, I thought you had some misconceptions. I'm not interested in a debate just to be contrarian.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I suppose it's a use-case thing. If you're in a position of not having much self control, or you need to filter out key trigger words to keep anxiety down or what have you... then sure, whatever.

But yeah, I'm 100% on the side of the simple/obvious/intuitive solutions to small- or non- issues is usually ideal for me. To each their own I guess.

13. Petar Bogdanov

Yep, you're very smart, good boy. The point is, why do it manually, when you can have the computer do a part of it for you?

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG/pickup hoarder

this is pretty nifty, now I don't need to keep seeing stevie t or the other meme guitarist channels pop up on my recommended bar. The whole "not interested" button definitely never worked well.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  15. lurè

lurè by Azura, by Azura, by Azura!

I use Microsoft Edge and I can't seem to find the extension on the Store.
    Now my Youtube page is infected with billions of videos like "top 10 djent riffs" , "10 stiles of breakdowns" or "can a glass of piss djent?"

The906 likes this.
  16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

:lol:

I was reading a thing this morning that suggested MS is going to start ignoring your default browser in some cases and just open Edge anyway. I know this happens in some places already, and I hope it doesn't continue. I remember a simpler time when an OS was just a thing that did it's job and wasn't a service and an assistant and a lifestyle appliance and all this other nonsense. Some days I wish computers would stop trying to be smart and just compute the junk I want them to compute.

HeavyMetal4Ever and lurè like this.
  17. lurè

lurè by Azura, by Azura, by Azura!

I don't know what is wrong with my notebook but Edge seems to be faster then Chrome: gonna visit the computer store asap.
    Anyway I like how it looks: very futuristic, very wow, much speed.

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG/pickup hoarder

I remember hearing people complain about ms10 and how it forced updates on people, which is unbelievably obnoxious. I hate that my phone does the same thing. Luckily I got the pro version or whatever of MS10 and googled how to stop forced updates.It was a lot harder than it was in ms7 or vista where I just clicked a button and told it to stop forced updating :lol: I have heard that edge is a bit less resource intensive than chrome though, i guess that could make it a legit contender for people with weaker hardware.

lurè likes this.
  19. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

...and even if you do by accident, you can remove it from your history so it's not taken into account in the recommendation algorithm.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I always find it strange when people use criteria like this to decide which browser to use, as opposed to just basing it on the overall experience. I don't use IE or Edge because I know it's easier for websites to break in IE (any time I've done any web dev, IE/Edge has required extra testing). I usually take Firefox over chrome just because I prefer the experience. (And I fully appreciate the irony of that statement given my previous comments in this thread. :lol:) The constant competition between Chrome and FF to go faster and use less memory keeps both of them equally usable, IMO.

I'm 100% onboard with the Windows 10 updates being a PITA though. I prefer to be entirely in control of when my machines reboot. Makes me glad I have access to pro licenses most of the time.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.