Chunk of ice breaks off in Antarctica

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by noodles, Mar 25, 2008.

1. noodles

noodles Contributor

Korbain likes this.
  2. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

3. YYZ2112

YYZ2112 Um, yeah..... Contributor

That sucks....

4. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

More ice for beer! :idea:

Korbain likes this.
  5. Korbain

Korbain Stay negative!

"i should have listened!!!!"

Thats a pretty big chunk of ice to go down. I don't really know what too say, i don't believe its global warming. Could it be that the world in general has been slightly warmer than it has been in a while? Yes. But random weather cycles have been happening for like, ever lol. Just say, in 10 years, 50 years, or even 100 years, the world will probably be slightly colder all round, will it bring back a chunk of ice that big again, who knows.

I just hate the whole, Its GLOBAL WARMING!!! I am sure chunks of the antarctic have been collapsing like that every now and then since the world began (or whatever we all believe lol), just now, we have technology to see it happening when it does. Theres a whole lot to this world, and universe in general we don't know about and will likely never know, so i am not gonna jump on the global warming band wagon just yet.

Thanks for the link, still stunned at the size of the ice that collapsed.

6. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Ever seen the photos from throughout the past century on some mountains, and how muchthe snow has been disappearing? To quote Disco Stu, "If these Trends continue..."

7. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

Whether you believe in Global Warming or not, the fact is global climate has been very unstable, especially in the past 10 years. We kind of know why that happened, but sadly we have no quick fix for that... even if it is just a random cycle like you said, I think this current cycle is unusually longer than acceptable...

8. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

*sigh*

Global climate change is a natural fact of living on planet Earth. Yes.

But at issue is the RATE of change. Which, if the scientific consensus is to be believed (Yeah, those scientists don't know shit. Just eat donuts all day, right? :rolleyes:), is according to past data, greatly accelerating compared to past rates of change. (In this case, specifically global temperature rise.)

9. forelander

forelander you fail me

Korbain, on what are you basing your reservations? Just out of curiosity, since you're so skeptical I assume you have fairly significant reasons for thinking a fucking massive chunk of ice falling off the antarctic isn't a sign of global warming. There are also ways to gain insight to how the world was through various periods, and everything (grain of salt) says what's happening currently is abnormal.

10. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

i had a donut this morning :(

:lol:

11. Korbain

Korbain Stay negative!

Oh i believe the weather at the moment is abnormal. Don't get me wrong. I just can't agree with the conclusion its global warming. I just believe heat patterns shift, as do cold ones. Theres just so much shit unkown out there about how stuff works, including the weather, i just can't fully agree with global warming at the moment. I ain't really out to argue or disprove global warming, just, from what i know, i don't think its really affecting the Earth at this moment, and if it is, its not as much as its being made out to be.

For the past few years, where i live its been some of the coldest summers in about 50 years. But then occassionally, we've had hot days, some of the equally hottest in 50 odd years, would i say thats global warming? Or just a random weather cycle. In the end, man is destroying the atmosphere, no doubt. If this world is still around in another 100 years, we may see the effects of global warming a bit more, so i'd think, or we may not.

In the end, there is no REAL, solid proof, global warming is happening. Just little theories, a chunk off ice falling into the ocean in the Antarctic, just doesn't convince me its global warming. Anyways, i've said enough lol. Thats my opinion on it. With the way things are going, will this world even be around long enough for global warming to really fuck us up? lol thats my question! :lol:

12. noodles

noodles Contributor

Are you practicing for a job as an oil or coal industry spokesman, or are you really that stupid? A whole lot of scientists a lot smarter than you have concluded that all the hydrocarbon emissions we are pouring into our atmosphere is taking its toll. They have plenty of evidence to back up this fact, and I'd argue that it is a whole lot more convincing than your hunches. It is unfortunate that our planet is filled with people who think the way you do: the Earth is the center of the universe because the Bible says so, no one will ever need more than 640K of RAM, silly Wright brothers, man will never fly, kill off all those buffalo won't have a negative effect, and if we don't stop communism in Vietnam, it will take over the whole fucking world!

"Just from what I know" is the same as "I'm going to make a wild guess, based upon my extremely limited and inextensive experience", "I just believe that" is the same as "I cannot be bothered with facts that don't support my preconceived notion of things", and "there is no real, solid proof" is just another fucking line from Faux News. You don't know enough, science is based upon observations and NOT beliefs, and all the proof you require is one Google search away, if you'd but educate yourself a bit before posting.

13. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

global warming is just a theory, sure. just like the theory of gravity ;)

14. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Global Warming is real. It's been denied for years by people who, quite frankly, get a lot of money from purveyors of carbon based fuels (coal, oil). Increases in air travel and budget airlines haven't helped. Everyone needing to own a car doesn't help, flying produce in from different countries just so you can have strawberries all year round doesn't help. You name it.

Fact is, we are putting a load of gasses into a limited amount of airspace that is planet earth's atmosphere, and these WILL have an effect on the chemical make up, how much heat i9s retained by the earth (basically how much the earth can act as a greenhouse would, basically, adding in certain gasses will increase the efficiency)

And, us burning the shit out of resources, basically means we are accelerating any natural change.

Result? Bye bye major cities near sea level, parts of countries, more extreme weather cycles, you name it.

Ands science does not base conclusions on beliefs or hunches. Nor on opinions.

15. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    And having a hunch it's not real, or not believing it, is basically a syndrome of refusing to acknowledge that a large worldwide disaster is looming, but yet, as humans and different countries, we will bicker about the solution trying to gain an advantage over each other, and then suddenly realise that the solution we bickered about has come too late.

I wonder how much good all that oil money is going to be when you can't spend it...

16. Korbain

Korbain Stay negative!

lol oh here we go the neg rep. Thanks noodles. Sorry i disagree with you and believe global warming is being very over exaggerated at the moment, when really we won't even begin to see the effects any time in the near future, or distant lol. Its sad everyone here can debate the topic with me maturely, yet you decide to call me stupid and tell me i need to educate myself? By a post a make you can judge me. Dude, your a cool bloke (from what i gather knowing you online), but get over yourself a bit ay. I didn't come here to put shit on anyone, i was putting my opinion out, sorry. I'll leave it that. :hbang:

17. arktan

arktan Icnomptenent

Well, that global warming thing can also be brought down on the lack of pirates. Yes, pirates. Since the 1800s we have decreased the number of them and we got continously growing temperatures.....

Just statistics! Or better, statistics are just lies. They never show the truth, only approximations in the best of cases...

I personally think that the whole global warming thing is not exagerated but i still know that there is a good probability that i'm wrong. Dammit, in the middle ages we burned women because everyone thought that they were witches! Were we right? You have to be cautious when jumping on a full train...

NEVER believe the shit they give
    who are they?
    well you know, it's them. They are they....
    and?
    They killed Kenny!
    Bastards!

18. Blackrg

Blackrg SS.org Regular

no doubt something very bad is going on with the climate

I used to think it was the carbon thing, caused by humans

Then I saw this documentary

Now Im less sure

Yes, this doco has been criticised

However, when you think about it, the whole carbon credits global warming thing works greatly in the favour of:

the nuclear industry, who get green light for massive new powerstations (UK)

banks - who get to trade some new (carbon) futures (EU)

the military/high tech sector, who get state handouts for research (USA)

scientists, who get funding for any research as long as it includes the word 'carbon'

local politicians who need excuses to increase taxes (LONDON)

radical greens, who have no agenda unless the planet is on the brink of disaster (All Over)

I think Peak oil is much much more of a worry in terms of effects on society

Interesting story here - is loss of sea ice in antarctic because of volcanic activity>? Antarctic’s PIG Threatening Sea Levels at ‘Somerset’ Bob’s Place

19. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

Imho, wether the climate changes are because of us humans or not, one thing remains : we absolutely need to change our living habits. We ARE using the planet as a garbage can, it's a fact. If a climate change theory (true or not) helps to bring awareness to the world, then let's use it as a way to change the way people think. Unfortunately, apocalyptic scenarios are the only way to wake some people up.

Korbain likes this.
  20. Unknown Doodl3.2

Unknown Doodl3.2 look at each other..

The thing is his post wasn't opinionated, it was factual ;) Even if you are right and we won't see the effects of global warming for a lilttle while, why wait t'ill something really bad happens before trying to fix it? Fix it now to prevent any sort of disaster.