Chuggy bass comparison - Dat low end

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Chi, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Chi

Chi Niverlare

I need a little help from you guys because I think my ears have finally quit on me after a long bass mixing session.

I'm trying to compare two things here:

- my Harley Benton 6 string bass, finger picked and sludgy-phat

- a sampled Dingwall Combustion, picked and more 'clean' (I guess?)

Both tuned to low E.

Here the respective files from a clip I've shared before, as a silly little experiment on how fat I can make things sound without making it sound like ass (but that's all relative anyway)

Benton: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2dnp3o9ik2lqxw/BFChugBenton.mp3?dl=0

Dingwall: https://www.dropbox.com/s/264ity34sbgiw4o/BFChugDingwall.mp3?dl=0

It both sounds good to my ears but like I said, my ears have farted out and before I mess anything up, you guys have a listen. What do you prefer?

Cheers!

2. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

Dingwall to me, I'm no professional though.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  3. DredFul

DredFul SS.org Regular

I'm total amateur too but to my ears the Benton sounds better. I dig the clicky attack. The Dingwall sounds more like the rumble of angry mutant bees which isn't bad either. Apples to oranges you know :D

I guess the question is whether one wants their bass to be heard more as an individual instrument or as background texture for the guitars.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  4. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

i prefer the Harley Benton here. the Dingwall has almost too much low end, especially
    in the upper low end area (100-200Hz). the Benton sounds a bit more cleaned up here.
    though i guess the right touch of EQ could help, but if it truely helps the overall quality,
    i´m not so sure. additionally the Benton has a cool mid range attack, like DredFul
    mentioned. also the Benton is a real bass while the Dingwall is sampled. real > sampled.
    that will always give it that extra human touch. taking all that into account i think the
    Benton adds more charater and style to your music, while the Dingwall just adds low end.

5. Tree

Tree Bald Bear

The dingwall definitely gels with the guitars better.
    That being said, both would benefit from some stages compression and limiting.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I feel like DredFul nailed it. The Benton has an audible attack/hi-end that that adds something to the song. The other clip to me just sounds like extra low end for the sake of extra low end.

7. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Thanks so far for the feedback! I feel in a similar way. I usually go for the spanky attack in bass tones, coupled with a really really pronounced low end.

The Dingwall doesn't really have that, especially 'cause it's sampled with a pick. (I think fingers digging into the string sounds much better)

What I liked about it though is that it's rather clear in the low end. In E my Benton is pretty much at its limit right there, playability isn't optimal but it works.

So perhaps I'll keep the Dingwall thing around for some really low carnage that happens at low drop D or something crazy, because it still maintains a clear tone down there, where the Benton would just flop around.

8. ConnorGilks

ConnorGilks Still can't play.

From a production standpoint I prefer the sound of the mix with the Dingwall, but I feel like the Benton suits the music way more.

9. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

10. Chi

Chi Niverlare

11. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

:yesway::yesway:

It would be awesome if Robert Gasperowicz released some more !