Chuck’s nephew selling guitar...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by beerandbeards, May 8, 2018.

1. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

how does everyone feel about Chuck Schuldiner’s nephew selling one of Chucks personal Stealths? I mean it’s his to do what he wants with it but I’ve seen negative comments on the post. Thoughts?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

From what I gather his nephew isn't in the best health or financial situation, tends to go hand in hand.

This a beat-up backup to Chuck's main guitars.

I have no problem with it. It would be cool if someone brought it back to its original shape.

3. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

It is pretty beat up and it wasn’t noted as being one he used to write or record so I would have expected a smaller starting bid at least. Wish I could afford it and refinish it. It’s probably a custom shop BCR right?

4. MaxOfMetal

I think the price is fair given how few Stealths Chuck owned, and while rough it doesn't seem to be "broken."

It is a CS B.C. Rich.

I think the price is high enough to keep it in the hands of an actual fan who will cherish it, or at least from folks just looking to score a cheap CS BCR.

5. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

How do I feel about this thread not having any links? Negatively.
    How do I feel about this situation? It's no obligation of Chuck's family to hoard his stuff. Can't presume it has the same or any value to them that it does to any of us nerds. But I also am not invested enough to even google it.

AxeHappy, xzacx, TedEH and 5 others like this.
  6. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

feraledge likes this.
  7. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Guitars are meant to be played IMO, I don’t see the difference with it being in his hands, or someone else who appreciates it...some people think it belongs in a Hard Rock Cafe or something but I’d rather see an average person have a crack at something special and actually use it...?

8. silverabyss

silverabyss

A sad situation sure but if a fan gets it and loves it and the nephew gets some help it’s a happy ending all around :yesway:

9. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

It's trashed and the bidders have already dictated their price is way higher than the starting point. It's a win-win all around. However, the current price is metal as fuck.
    [​IMG]

AxeHappy, protest, bostjan and 2 others like this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

Nothing is stopping Hard Rock, just about the biggest purchaser of music memorabilia in the world, from buying it.

I agree with you though. I hope a person buys it, restores it, and plays the heck out of it.

It would be pretty cool if a well known artist buys and uses it.

11. narad

narad SS.org Regular

What happened to his old clothes? Any blankets he had when he died? I hope they sold his old car to a fan of Death and not to someone just looking for a daily driver who's not going to truly appreciate it.

12. MaxOfMetal

They've been selling off his stuff for at least the last ten or fifteen years. Wouldn't surprise me. :lol:

13. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

no telling what this is a gonna go for...

looks like chucks leather jacket sold for $11211.00

14. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

While I can understand the sentiment of profiting of his legacy, if his family is having a tough time making ends meet and people are willing to pay the price then it is what it is. I've come to accept that with time.

bostjan likes this.
  15. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Honestly, it's not like he just passed away and someone is trying to score some quick cash on the news, we're going on 20 years now. I don't see a problem with it.

16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think people might be afraid to bid any higher than this, because the current bid is too perfect.

And holy hell, that guitar is beat up. I'd be interested to see if it gets restored or if it ends up being left as is. Same strings on there for 20+ years...yikes.

I mean, it's a somewhat historic artifact, as far as I'm concerned, so I merely hope that whoever gets it gets a COA and at least takes some photos of it over the years.

If I were to hypothetically end up being the guitar tech that the buyer hired to restore this, I'd have mixed feelings about taking on the job for sure.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO it's just stuff. I don't care who owns it or what it's valued at.

If any part of the situation is sad, it's that these items are being over-valued now because of his death, when his death could have been prevented if these items had that value when he was alive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he died because he couldn't afford treatment, didn't he?

AxeHappy and bostjan like this.
  18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Basically. He was treated, but couldn't pay the bills, so when he got sick again, the medical industry hesitated to give him the best treatment, as was the general culture in the USA at the time. A lot of artists found out Chuck was sick again and in financial trouble, and scrambled to get fundraisers together to get funds together for him, but by the time the word spread, it was basically too late, because there were so many delays. If he had gotten sick in 2018, I truly believe that things would have gone differently, but with an aggressive brain cancer, I don't know how effect even the best treatments are...

I really don't think that selling a few guitars on eBay for ~$10k would have made a world of difference. If he had already made a ton of money before he got sick, he probably would have received prompt treatment, but that's a different story, to me.

And I say all of this, but, obviously, I'm not Chuck's family, so I don't really know what it must've been like. I just know what the medical industry was like around that time, and I know what I had heard in articles about Chuck after he passed.

19. MaxOfMetal

That's the Catch-22 of dying young and famous (at least as famous as a guy who played extreme metal in the 80's).

No one knew then that his career would be both legendary and scarce.

Fhtagn likes this.
  20. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

I could totally see myself rocking that. I'd put a full face diamond plate aluminum pickguard on it. Have it routed out for an evertune. Put in some EMGs and hipshot locking tuners. Strip the paint and coat it in something shiny and metallic. The best part is it would still be Chuck's guitar because that's my name too!

Andromalia likes this.