Christian Muenzner: Who's interested in Timewarp and Beyond - sleep guitar tab books?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Rosal76, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

For the time being, that's what it looks like.

Originally, I was only interested in the tab book but then I heard the sample clip for the Eternity's End album and thought it sounded cool and then thought, "hell with it, I'll just buy the CD and the tab book together". :cool:

You never know, though, Christian may sell the book separately when the campaign is over. I'm sure he'll see your post and answer it accordingly. :agreed:

2. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

That's my plan as well!

Anything Christian touches becomes gold to my ears :)

I was just asking in case there was a quicker way than waiting till march hehe

3. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1.

Our job isn't done yet. Us fans now need to get Christian and Hannes to publish a guitar tab book for their Alkaloid and Hannes' Radial Covenant albums. :mods:

4. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Glad to know I'm not the only one:hbang::scream::bowdown:

I've been dying to learn The Radial Covenant ever since it got released :eek:
    particularly Aeon Illuminate and the Sorcerer :p

5. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

A little off topic and is a pipe dream for me and it probably would never happen but...

I wish Christian would tab songs from the first Necrophagist album. Obviously, he didn't write anything on that album nor does he have the rights to the songs but he is the only guitar player that I know of who has played songs from that album, assumingly, 100% correct the way Muhammed Suicmez wanted him to play it, who is still a active musician. I mean, the guys covering those Necrophagist songs on Youtube and some of the tabs I've found on Ultimateguitar.com sound/look correct but if it's between a tab figured out by fans (who I greatly thank for their hard work) or Christian who was actually in the band, I'll take Christian's tabs. :agreed:

If Christian reads this, he'll be like, "jezzz, these guys are really into guitar tablature books". :lol:

6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

The indiegogo campaign is almost done, 90%, congrats to Christian (and a few of us here, I guess). They'll start mailing early to mid March in case you want to know!

Apart from that, someone added this comment and I couldn't resist posting it here, I think the most relevant question so far:

"What is the risk that this album is so good that it makes me lose control of my bodily functions? Should I wear an adult diaper before listening to it?"

7. Christian Muenzner

Christian Muenzner SS.org Regular

Hey guys, thanks for the nice words and the support so far!
    On the tabbook: yeah, it will also be sold seperately when the campaign is over. I just did a test pressing of the book so far and we re-worked through it as we found a couple more tiny mistakes here and there to make it perfect. So the final pressing of the books will arrive late February and when the campain is over you will also be able to order it from my bandcamp page for example.

About the Onset tabbook, haha, I still have some original tabs from when we played those songs live, but I didn't write the songs and can't just publish the original tabs, plus with the ones I never played, since I didn't record on that album, I couldn't make sure it would really be the correct fingerings. I still remember it was some quite challenging material though! But making tabbooks is difficult enough with one's own material already when you haven't played some songs in a year or 2 ;)

8. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Hi, Christian. Huge thank you for publishing the Beyond - Sleep guitar tab book and for visiting and posting on this site. I did order the CD (Eternity's End) and tab book combo and am dying to learn more of your stuff. I have watched the video of you playing Nightlife countless times and I'm thinking, "man, this will probably be really hard to learn!!!" :eek:

Question if you don't mind me asking. What was the hardest Necrophagist song that you had to learn?

9. Christian Muenzner

Hm, I'm trying to remember. In terms of learning them/memorizing them they were a bit easier than a lot of the Alkaloid or Obscura stuff, because they didn't have that many different parts, but of course they were extremely challenging from a technical level. I think what was really hard for me was Intestinal Incubation from the first album, quite difficult to pull off live. From Epitaph, I have to think...I believe Ignominous And Pale was the hardest for me.

10. Christian Muenzner

Also, I recently did a very in depth interview for Maximum Metal about Eternity's End, Alkaloid, crowd funding, the music business, importance of music theory, working with focal dystonia etc., you can check it out here:

Maximum Metal Interview Results

11. axeslaya

axeslaya SS.org Regular

Hi Christian. Love your playing and I'm a huge fan. I was wondering if I could ask you a question? Do you have any tips for memorizing songs? Complete songs, rhythms, solos etc. I find it difficult to memorize and need some help. Maybe I just dont practice correctly. I'll start working on parts of a song, then jump around, try to learn other parts but I find it difficult to retain what I'm trying to learn. :) This could also pertain to anyone else who could offer any tips. Thanks! :hbang:

12. Cyn__Theia

Cyn__Theia They freak you out

"But you certainly will never see me write a song called 'The Tapping Ninja', 'Monster Sweeper' or 'Legatomizer'; my music is not intended to be a showcase for motor skills or gimmicks. Even when I go instrumental, it needs to be on the same level as a composition as when I'm writing for a band situation. My guitar work is just a part of the whole picture."

Loved this. ^.^ I laughed while completely following your philosophy.

13. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

:hbang::hbang::hbang:

pretty perfect for this style.

my only minor complaint is that the keyboard player's solo chops are not up to par with Christian's.

Throw in a guy like Richard Andersson (Time Requiem) on keys and it would be perfect :)

Ian sounds awesome as expected.

14. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, Christian posted a new Youtube playthrough for one of his songs off of his Beyond the Wall of Sleep album. :metal:

15. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Saw it yesterday and made me think why would I be so stupid to buy his book considering my skills. Later I found out it's obviously because I admire the guy and still want him to support his wonderful music, and in the end, some ideas would probably creep into my playing, but man, watching his clean and effortless performance still makes me wonder if I'll ever play 50% as well as him regardless the efforts put on it. :bowdown:

16. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

That's exactly what I first thought when I purchased the Cosmogenesis guitar tab book. I was like, "yup, not gonna be playing this unless I sell my soul to the Devil at the Crossroads". At then I bought the Omnivium tab book and that just put me further in the hole. And now there's the Akroasis and Christian's Beyond tab book. I think that as long as we, the fans, have fun playing Obscura/Christian's music and it gives us drive and inspiration is what matters.

As far as Obscura, I'm actually learning the first 2 1/2 pages of that ridiculous Velocity solo. I simply cannot replicate the end part where it sounds like the Pac-Man death/game over theme on steroids. But you know, for what I can play from that solo, I'm happy. :cool:

17. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I feel you man! Trying to play Velocity? wow, I don't even dare so much. The further I went was almost learning the whole Trascendental Serenade. That one is almost mine(only a few sloppy parts), a know a couple of minutes of Prismal Dawn, Vortex Omnivium and Aevum, and a few riffs here and there, but don't even try with solos yet.

If I had the option to buy Cosmogenesis I would've bought it right away instead over Akroasis but Steffan said it was out of print. He offered the greatest hits book, but I'm not interested having two Omnivium copies (correct and incorrect ones, thanks to Steffan move), so my collection is incomplete :noway:

Anyway, when I first heard Christian's solo stuff, I though "man, maybe I can get more from his personal style than from that Obscura's crazy riffage" but I was probably overestimating myself again :lol:

18. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I'd LOVE to get a copy of the Cosmogenesis tab book.

19. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Man, I crept into that song the other day! Crept is a term I use when I'm learning a song and then have a sudden unexpected/unplanned interest in another song/riff/solo and practice it. I was learning the Velocity solo, took a break from practice and flipped through the Omnivium tab book and saw the two hand tapping part in A Transcendental Serenade. I then thought, "man, this looks kinda cool'. I'll just spend 10 minutes on it and go back to the Velocity solo". And then the 10 minutes turned into 20, and then 30 and at the end, "the Velocity solo practice session" had turned into the "A Transcendental Serenade 2 hand tapping part practice session". :lol::agreed:

20. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

got my Eternity's End CD yesterday. .... rips.

great job, christian.

The Dark Tower is my favorite jam after a couple of listens.